Listening to The Beatles and conversation!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Square Hammer

Square Hammer Forum Resident

I read that Die Beatles used a flat transfer tape. Is this true?

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  2. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Listening to With the Beatles in mono on the car stereo at the moment. There is so much harmonic movement in these songs, so much musical invention. These are not simple songs at all.
    Then that arty cover, arguably one of their best.
    Yes, The Beatles progressed in the 60's but this album is right up there for me as one of the best ever done by anybody. Period.
    The covers are very tastefully done and great selections. I adore McCartney's vocal on Till There is You. Did Lennon ever sound in better voice than the haunting All I've Got to Do?

Hermes, stevenson66g, DK Pete and 3 others like this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have this pressing and it sounds so dynamic that it must be a flat transfer! I would get a pressing from the late 70s with the normal cover because it’s much cheaper than the HörZu one and sounds exactly the same:)
    [​IMG]

Pianoman99 and Square Hammer like this.
  4. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

This is the German pressed copy I have of this LP... It is the second German pressing (number 2 matrix) and is reportedly a much better sound than the earlier number 1 matrix pressing on the HorZu label (except for the final HorZu version). The Germans did something great with these albums once the 1970s hit, it seems

DK Pete and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  5. jerseyboydavid

I like this version of AHDN most of all the ones I have. Blows away the 2012 LP with a lot of warmth and I also have a 1980s Holland pressing (or maybe EEC pressing) that to me falls flat compared to this German variation

fishcane and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  6. Sgt. Abbey Road

I have the final HörZu, but I know that the later Apple pressing also sounds as good:agree:

jerseyboydavid likes this.
  7. Sgt. Abbey Road

Does anyone know a 70s German pressing that doesn’t sound good?

jerseyboydavid likes this.
  8. jerseyboydavid

Same matrix numbers! Listening to my German pressed Rubber Soul right now... blue Odeon label (1969 pressing?). Full of life

Sgt. Abbey Road, DK Pete and fishcane like this.
  9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Continuing on with my stereo tour of Germany…and another very strong listening experience
    [​IMG]

Sgt. Abbey Road and DK Pete like this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

No difference in these 2 glorious A1/B3 pressings. Don’t look for the logo look for the matrices…
    [​IMG]

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For me, the cover of WTB is as monumental and mature as the music. It propelled Pop/Rock group cover artwork to a whole other level which, frankly, their surrounding competition had a hard time catching up to. That WTB photo is the early 60’s art equivalent of Rock album covers to follow many years later (and once again, largely influenced by those of The Beatles).

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The German tour continues on….
    For this one we move up to the 80s for the DMM…,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Yes. I believe that happened to me as well.

14. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Yes, but the "Hörzu Langspielplatte" logo does often have the 3 fake stereo versions on side 2.

So chosing the later Hörzu logo from 1973 or the Apple is always safe if you want to get the 3 true stereo versions.

15. Pianoman99

Yes, "Yeah Yeah Yeah" (A Hard Day's Night) and "A Collection Of Beatles Oldies" both sound dreadful.

16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

That’s why I say check matrices, these are both a1/b3 correct stereo versions

Sgt. Abbey Road and Pianoman99 like this.
  17. Sgt. Abbey Road

Thank you very much! Does A Hard Day’s Night sound good in stereo on any LP pressing?

18. Pianoman99

Right. But sometimes you can't see the matrices when you buy online. That's why it's also good to know that the later 1973 Hörzu and Apple logos always have the true stereo versions.

19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Indeed

20. Pianoman99

For some reason it wasn't redone in the 70s like most other albums. That's why all blue Odeon pressings of that LP sound totally muffled. I believe it was due to a bad tape. No idea why they didn't order a new one from EMI.
    In the 80s they did the analog DMMs - but that's another story and not really everyone's taste...

So to answer your question - I would always pick an early 70s UK pressing if I want that album.

21. Sgt. Abbey Road

Vielen Dank und schöne Grüße nach Frankfurt:agree:

Pianoman99 likes this.
  22. Sgt. Abbey Road

I listened to this 2CD set for the first time in many years! I’ve always known that Paul’s solo career was and is amazing, but I didn’t think that it was so great:agree:
    [​IMG]

23. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

After 55 years of listening to Strawberry Fields Forever, it never dawned on me until now that Paul's bass playing in the opening sequence disappears at 1:01 when George Martin's edit switches to orchestration! That is unless it's still there buried in the mix? How did I not notice this before!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I noticed it but it took me quite a while as well..a couple of decades worth. Even when it’s there, this has to be the most subtle, laid back bit of bass playing on any Beatle recording.

25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Indeed, it’s downright feathery with a subtle bounce. Paul could’ve continued playing bass throughout the song, yet an artistic decision was made somehow which works.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022