Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

The thing that always bothers me is the open eaves in the Ingalls' little house. Just imagine the wind in the Minnesota winters blowing through that loft! Of course I know it was designed like that by Matt Jefferies to allow exterior light into the loft.

Another detail I like is there's a wall where the plaster was never finished. Pa Ingalls added a kitchen and a window but never bought another bag of plaster to finish that wall.

chilinvilin and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed! and she was not the Nellie monster! only played that on television! I like her and her book!

Scowl, 905 and MikeInFla like this.
  3. Michael

Pa was busy...always. I can can excused all...; )

4. Michael

Willie was GREAT! I loved his character as a child and an adult even more...

Ms. Daisy and Someone In A Tree like this.
  5. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Yet he built a whole new kitchen and he spent a whole episode putting in a larger window. Why couldn't he get a bag of plaster and smear it on the rest of that wall? Surely the harsh Minnesota winters were blowing right through that wall!

6. Michael

well they survived...; ) Hollywood...what's to figure out?

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was watching a few episodes on the Peacock streaming service for the first time and the HD remitters of the show seen on there look excellent- very crisp and colorful (compared to old re-runs I've seen on TV in years past which always looked muddy and not as colorful). I'm sure the Blu-Ray releases of the episodes look just as good. :righton:

8. Michael

yes, the BD releases look FABULOUS!

9. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I grew up in mid west Wisconsin and lived just down the road from the Laura Ingalls Wilder historical site homestead. used to watch the shows also. its a pretty neat place and some cool small farm towns in the area if your ever in the middle of nowhere cheese country.

Ms. Daisy, 905, Silken and 4 others like this.
  10. Michael

that had to be pretty cool knowing where you lived in relation to LHOTP!

11. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

there is a surprising amount of old historical stuff in the area. Its cooler now when I look back on it. No doupt I fished the same fishing holes and drank from the same springs and hiked the same trails.

Ms. Daisy, 905, chilinvilin and 3 others like this.
  12. Michael

wow, that is just too cool! dude! you shared history first hand..different time same place.

jason88cubs likes this.
  13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Typical day for Charles

5:00 wake up, fall out of bed tripping on blanket, break 1 rib
    530: milk the cow , get kicked by cow, break a rib
    600: eat breakfast tell awful jokes
    630: walk to walnut grove to the mill for work, trip on a rock, break a rib
    710: show up late, get yelled at by Hansen. Walk away mad punch a board,board falls, hits a rock , which hits him in the head, falls backwards, breaks a rib
    830: yells at Edwards to pick up the pace. Edwards trips Chalres, breaks a rib
    12:00 lunch. Charles walks to Nels pay off debt, gets in a argument with Harriet, acts like a goody goody, trips walking out of store, breaks a rib
    500: quittin time, happy to be heading home. not looking where walking , run into a wagon break a rib
    530: solves some major issue on the way home
    600: home for supper, sit in chair, it breaks, break a rib
    700: go out to finsih chores, kids are throwing a ball, charles goes to catch, misses and breaks rib
    900: goes to bed but misses falls out of bed , breaks a rib

14. Bea Jonas

Bea Jonas Forum Resident

Michael Landon had an incredible run on NBC.

Bonanza (1959—1973)
    Little House on the Prairie (1974—1983)
    Highway to Heaven (1984—1989)

While growing up, I couldn't remember a time when Landon wasn't on NBC—or Johnny Carson at the desk on The Tonight Show (1962—1992), for that matter.

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, I remember that episode.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I never understood why someone who worked at a mill had such a small house (I think the animals in the barn had more spacious accommodations). Just cut down a few extra trees and build yourself up a proper house (especially back then, when houses were considerably less complicated and required less outside skilled labor to construct). Maybe it was historically accurate, but it always gave me an uncomfortable sense of claustrophobia just from watching it on TV.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  17. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Because the house only had one iron stove to heat the whole place during the long Minnesota winters.

905 and jason88cubs like this.
  18. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

The title of the series was Little House on the Prairie. Building something bigger would have dishonored that. :D

19. jason88cubs

when the house was built he wasn't working at the mill yet

905 and Scowl like this.
  20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Speaking of the mill gig, how did he tend his crops while working there?

21. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

What was there to do?

905 likes this.
  22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Landon was obsessed with blind people, orphans, and blind orphans. Mary went blind. Mary’s husband was blind. Hester Sue taught the blind. Edwards fell in love with a young painter who was also somehow blind. In order to prevent his biological father from reclaiming him, Albert pretended to be blind. Albert was an orphan. Edwards’ kids were orphans. Jason Bateman played an orphan. The new Nellie was an orphan.

greelywinger and Silken like this.
  23. jason88cubs

how many times did the mill run out of work? at least twice a season

beccabear67 likes this.
  24. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

LHOTP was nothing if not repetitious. The following happened multiple times:
    • Hail destroyed the crops.
    • The Ingalls ran out of money.
    • Someone had a fatal illness.
    • Someone adopted an orphan.
    • An epidemic hit Walnut Grove.
    • Doc Baker killed a patient.
    • Charles rehabilitated someone by forcing them to work on his farm.
    • Harriet or Nellie did something awful.
    • Carrie said something nonsensical.

25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Whatever farmers do. I have always been led to believe it was back breaking work performed from dawn to dusk, especially in the era before mechanized plows and the like.

With Charles, it is portrayed as some kind of side hustle. It's not like he even had a couple of strapping boys to help out after school.

beccabear67 likes this.