Live- 25th Anniversary Throwing Copper release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, May 30, 2019.

1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

YMMV, of course, but I have it and it sounds great. It is possible to do it, it just takes a good engineer, which of course isn't always the case. My original pressing of Hysteria is the same way, and it sounds great.

What doesn't make any sense is that Secret Samadhi is like 6-7 minutes shorter, and a double LP that still doesn't sound very good. (The original 1997, haven't heard any reissues) It's all about who cut the lacquers, and who pressed the LP's, much more than how many minutes are on a side.

2. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

OK, thanks, maybe it's worth a try then.

I'd've thought it would be a laws of physics thing rather than a good engineer, but then I don't master vinyl. I always find that with albums that have a lot of music on a side, when you get to the last track the sound hugely degrades.

3. walrus

I've found that too, but honestly it's a case-by-case situation. Like, I'm listening to Van Halen's Balance right now, side A is 26 minutes but sounds great right till the end. Whereas Secret Samadhi has 3 songs per side and has tons of distortion on the 3rd track every time. Someone actually took the time to make sure the VH one was done as nicely as possible given the constraints, and someone else just haphazardly cut the Live album to white vinyl in '97. The laws of physics do apply, but are secondary to whether the person cutting the LP knows what they're doing, or even cares about the product. (These are both mid-90's pressings I'm talking about, which anyone will tell you, are generally iffy at best)

It's also making sure you have a good tracking cartridge that's aligned properly. I have a few LP's that are difficult to track towards the end of a side, and it's how I test my cartridge alignment.

You can probably get MOV releases in the UK a lot cheaper than here, so if you get a good deal on Copper, it's worth the plunge. You can always sell it.

DiBosco likes this.
  4. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

OK, you sold me on it, I'll give it a go. You're right, you can pick it up relatively cheaply over here. Cheers!

5. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

6. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Why would they not include the MTV Unplugged? Pearl Jam did that, with the deluxe edition of Ten. I believe it was Live's creative pinnacle. Luckily, there are several great recordings from that show, I'm talking soundboard quality.

ian christopher and DorothyV like this.
  7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the new 2LP version of Throwing Copper?

ian christopher likes this.
  8. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

No, I got shipping notification for mine yesterday.

500Homeruns likes this.
  9. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

Listening right now, great pressing and well balanced dynamic mastering to my ears.
    Compared to the original Vinyl and the MOV a very welcome and definitive improvement!

10. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

The Distance To Here turns 20 today. Just a notch below TC. Such a great album. I still remember walking uptown in college to go buy it at the CD store.

11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Think I like it better. Tough call.

groovelocked and mattdm11 like this.
  12. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

It's hard to say, certainly some of the songs on TC have been played to death....and there's not a weaker song on the album than Face and Ghost. I've probably listened to TDTH more (for some reason it was always my album to listen to while cutting the grass). I really wish we had some more good 90s era Live. They are unfortunately pretty embarassing nowadays. I can't wait for TDTH deluxe edition.....have you heard some of the outtakes? Don't Wait? Deeper? Full band Overcome?

13. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I remember at the time TDTH came out, they said they recorded enough for two albums. I hope for a double LP pressing with some of those outtakes and featuring some extra full-sized artwork.

mattdm11 likes this.
  14. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Wow, high praise. I’m between the new reissue and the MOV pressing as my local shop has both right now. Anyone else think the new reissue is the clear winner?

I was a huge fan of this album back in the day. It’s up there with things like STP’s first three albums or Soundgarden Superunknown as something from this era/my younger days that I actually want to pick up on vinyl. Crazy to think how much music from that time in my life that I have no desire to listen to anymore.

Spastica likes this.
  15. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Got mine today and it’s definitely an improvement from the MOV pressing IMO.

groovelocked and HDManiac like this.
  16. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Cut at Sterling Sound by forum member, but no longer active, Joe Nino-Hernes.

17. marvelus10

marvelus10 Active Member

I'm just listening to the 25th anniversary 2 lp. Picked it up an hour ago, I find it loud, a bit of distortion especially noticeable on loud sections, paper sleeves that left dust all over the records, they will need cleaning as there is a few pops and clicks. If your really really picky be forewarned.

18. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

I finally saw Amazon selling the 2 cd version, and bought it.
    Happy to have it, but why are they making it so scarce?

19. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Got the double album on vinyl, it's now possible to get it without CDs at a sensible price.

It really is fantastic. TC on CD was one of the harshest sounding CDs imaginable. It's an album that demands to be played loud and the original CD shows the worst excesses of digital compression and ear-shredding digital audio. The vinyl enables you to turn it up loud and your ears not feel assaulted by the end of it.

It's a fantastic pressing too, almost zero surface noise and with it having so little playing time per side plays beautifully right to the end of each side. Can't recommend this enough.

20. marvelus10

marvelus10 Active Member

R.E. my previous post from Tuesday, I cleaned and rinsed the LP's, no more dust, pops or clicks, surface noise is very minimal almost non existent. However I still find this pressing loud, with distortion throughout the loud sections of the songs. I have now played this from beginning to end seven times and two different players with two totally different types of cartridges. I guess you can't always be satisfied in the world of re-issues and re-re-issues these days, the record companies just don't care.

21. walrus

I feel the same way. I was born in ‘81, so the early/mid 90’s were my teenage musical years, and I rarely listen to any American mainstream stuff anymore, even when I liked it at the time. I mean, I’m still a massive Pearl Jam and NIN fan but rarely play the first three PJ albums or Downward Spiral.

22. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Received a 2-3 week delay on this from uDiscover. Big surprise...

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Did you get the EU Back to Black copy? If so, is it also the same Sterling cut or an in house GZ job? If unsure, just let me know whats in the deadwax if you wouldnt mind? Cheers :edthumbs:

24. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

Will have a look when I get home this evening. :)

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. DiBosco

DiBosco Forum Resident

OK, I thought I'd bought the Back To Black, and I do have a BtoB download coupon inside it.

Deadwax says, I think:

BJ78504-01 and 7753259. It''s not easy to read.

Hope that helps!

richbdd01 likes this.