Loading for Rega Apheta 3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dave Calarco, May 13, 2020.

1. Dave Calarco

Dave Calarco Forum Resident Thread Starter

So after spending a few very enjoyable days with the PH-10 set at 100 ohm and 0 dB, I'm doing a head to head with the Aria right now. I'm finding that the PH-10 is more nuanced and three-dimensional, though the gain level that is suitable fluctuates between +3 and 0 dB for different albums. The Aria is very good—I thought I wouldn't like it as much after a few days with the Gold Note—but it is still quite nice, just a bit flat compared to the PH-10, like I’m not getting the complete picture. It’s as if the Aria puts a coat of finish on the music, it’s a pretty nice finish, but you can’t quite see the natural grain of the wood. I guess the deal is that with the Gold Note I'll have to change gain levels every now and again depending on the source, but I'll get a truer, more high quality, deeper, three-dimensional presentation as a result. I suppose that's worth it, despite my preference to set and forget. I have been keeping the gain at 0 db for a couple days, but in doing the head to head, just bumped it to +3 for The Clash's "Sandanista" and it made a big difference. I'm down to the wire on decision time so I have to make a call. I think I'm leaning Gold Note, especially with the possible addition of the PSU.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    cut-out and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. Dave Calarco

Also, I have a compromised left ear as a result of “sudden hearing loss” a few years ago (it came back with a high dose course of steroids over two weeks) and it is permanently more sensitive. After listening to high volume music for a week straight with every free moment, it has started to hurt over the past 24 hours. I think I need to take a break. lol.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

it's unusual that you find the need to adjust gain on different recordings. if some recording sound too hot usually I would just back off on the gain and leave it that way so that everything sounds good.
    do your other recordings sound unacceptable at the lower setting that works for the hotter mixes?

4. avanti1960

bummer, that's no fun. take a break and turn it down a little !

Dave Calarco likes this.
  5. Dave Calarco

Let's see if I can explain where I am coming from. I started the Gold Note at +3 dB since that was still below Rega's 69.3 recommended gain setting for the Apheta 3. Over the first couple days, when I realized some recordings couldn't handle the +3dB, I decided to just keep everything at 0 dB. Everything sounded good. (One or two recordings might have even been better had I lowered it to - 3dB.) However, when I started to do the head to head today, I put on the Clash's "Sandanista" album—a record that features a lot of thick dub grooves—and it sounded beefier and thicker on the Aria, despite sounding clearer and more nuanced on the Gold Note. So wanting that extra thickness and liveliness, I bumped the gain to +3 dB on the Gold Note, and then the presentation had the best of both worlds, enhanced thickness, and the nuance and clarity of the Gold Note. I have found that some rock records, on which the mix isn't always quite as dynamic as on Van Gelder's Blue Notes and Impulse mixes, the added gain adds a bit of dynamic and three-dimensionality. In fact, I have found that most records of any genre that can absorb the extra gain without "clipping" or getting grainy, sound better to me. I guess that I enjoy the max gain a recording can take. All that said— I could leave it at 0 dB and be happy, but I feel that I won't be getting the most of each album.

Am I trying to do too, much? Maybe. But if I can improve the sound with a quick push of a knob, why not, right?

6. Dave Calarco

Yeah. I just love listening to music loudly. It's fine in small doses but I have been doing heroic doses these days trying to sort out this preamp question. I am taking the night off though, despite only have a couple nights left. No need to push it an it seems I have pretty much made my decision. Been to countless concerts over the years, but that hearing loss episode happened not in proximity to any shows. Was it related, maybe. I have custom ear plug for that ear that I use for particularly loud shows now. I should probably learn to enjoy lower volumes in my home! :) I find I can only hear everything at higher volumes. Perhaps a new receiver could remedy that, because I think my speakers, while certainly not over the top, are solid enough for the moment. My receiver, however, is outclassed by the p10 + either preamp.

talkingh likes this.
  7. avanti1960

understood . the unique thing for me is that if the gain is too high, it is noticeably too high on most recordings.
    it may be related to how new your cartridge is. i have had cartridges that can take more gain as they break in. my old audio technica ART9 sounded awful at 66db gain when it was new to 100 hrs or so and i had to run it at 56db.
    after it broke in I was able to use 66db 100% .

Dave Calarco likes this.
  8. oblomov724

oblomov724 Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, congrats on the amazing new system. You've enticed me into my first post. Have the planar 8/apheta 3 with an Aria. Your threads have convinced me to get the ph10 and psu. Have it on order. Selling my Aria. Would love more of your thoughts on it and settings. I'm still under 20 hours in my planar 8. Wish I could have gone for the 10 but was still major upgrade from my music Hall mmf 7.

Beefystewy and Dave Calarco like this.
  9. Dave Calarco

Sick! Congrats. What would you like to know? My experience with it is still limited to under a week at this moment, but happy to offer some thoughts.

oblomov724 likes this.
  10. Dave Calarco

Interesting. I had not considered this. I hope this pans out and I can leave everything at one level. If not, I suppose it's not the end of the world with how easy the adjustments are to make.

11. oblomov724

We seem pretty similar in level of interest fiddling during a listening session. I'm not going to want to switch between 0 and +3 between albums much. Will be good to hear of it becomes more capable of staying at one of the other once it breaks in a little more. Think I'll have the gold note in a week. It's weird having so much new at the same time. I loved my ortofon cadenza Red I had on my old table. Already starting to think about a cadenza black in the future. Will need the 2mm spacer I suppose if I do that.

12. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

The great thing is once you are happy with settings and enjoying the ph-10....the additional power unit takes it to the next level trust me...and Gold Note are saying they will possibly release a valve version of it and possible new settings to download for the eq curve soon

Dave Calarco and oblomov724 like this.
  13. oblomov724

Thanks for all the great info. Reading your threads and review links was a big influence on my decision. Gold note should give you a commission.

14. talkingh

haha...happy if they do

oblomov724 likes this.
  15. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

I’m curious how the power unit makes a difference in sound? I’m really skeptical of things like power conditioning and expensive cables...not saying this is the same thing, I’m genuinely interested in what the additional power supply is doing?

16. talkingh

i got them together and only used the ph-10 for a few hours...then plugged in the psu-10...the bass was deeper and soundstage sounds wider...i'm pretty sceptical about power stuff too but got a deal on the pair so took the plunge
    good review here
    PSU-10: Gold Note Power Supply - The Audiophile Man

Yellow Rubber Jacket likes this.
  17. talkingh

let me know what u think when you get it

18. Dave Calarco

valve version?

19. Dave Calarco

Copy. I still have a demo unit so I won’t be getting my new one for at least a couple weeks once I place the order, so it will have to break in as well.

20. talkingh

from an interview with the designer
    Why is there a valve output stage option and does this just add an extra buffer?
    The GN port found on the rear panel is not just for a valve output stage, it's a multi-purpose connector designed to allow multiple options to PH-10 owners that will be able to plug in external modules for buffering and equalising

will come later i think

oblomov724 and Dave Calarco like this.
  21. Dave Calarco

Placed my order for the PH-10 plus PSU today. Very excited to see how the PSU improves the sound stage. Not exactly sure when I’ll have time but I can keep the demo in the meantime. My bad ear eliminated a final head to head session, but my decision was all but made already.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    oblomov724 and cut-out like this.
  22. Yellow Rubber Jacket

Yellow Rubber Jacket Forum Resident

Congratulations! And keep us posted.

oblomov724 and Dave Calarco like this.
  23. Dave Calarco

I was doing something behind the preamp and my hand lightly bumped the P10’s left channel locking RCA connector while plugged in. I felt a little resistance but checked it out and it looks fine. I suspect this shouldn’t be an issue? They seem pretty sturdy. (I get too concerned about little things like this.)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  24. talkingh

congrats sir

Dave Calarco and Morbius like this.
  25. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I am an RP10/Apheta 2 owner.

I was just wondering if anybody out there that has heard both the Apheta 2 and 3 could share their thoughts. I am thinking about going for the 3 soon.