Local TV Newsreaders esp Weekend Types

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Is this job now a "gig" thing? Every week or so the cast changes especially with the weather person. No news, I guess so grab a temp. This is LA I am referring to, but guess it goes for other markets.
    Comments?

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Here in the Bay Area, the roster of weekend anchors have been quite stable.

OldSoul likes this.
  3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think particularly in smaller markets the weekend gig is pretty much the lowest rung on the ladder. You either aren't "ready for primetime" or the newbie if you get assigned the weekend shift. Also, regular reporters who want anchoring experience can ask to get the weekend shift.

dan c

forthlin likes this.
  4. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Local TV news anchors don't have the same kind of perceived prestige that they enjoyed in the 70s and 80s. You can bet that almost all of these weekend anchors, outside of the largest markets, are getting paid barely more than minimum wage, which means high turnover. They are probably also performing a lot of the menial tasks when not on-camera.

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Philadelphia's have always been stable. The abc weekend weather woman (only evenings, mind you) is very muscular and has a preference for 4 inch heels, which probably gets her attention on twitter,

6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

This is sort of a medium size market, very much a stepping stone for talent. Quite a bit of turnover, including some of the full-time reporters. The weekenders are pretty green. Full disclosure: I really don't watch local news but I am exposed to it when my wife is watching.

7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Why do local news reporters pronounce their names in their native languages? This mostly just the outside reporters. This is a whole new thing, I don’t remember this ever happening. Big here in the New York metro area.

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Why wouldn't they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.