Logitech Media Server can now integrate your streaming library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by harmonica98, Apr 3, 2020.

1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member Thread Starter

The latest developmental release of LMS (8.0) has this facility with support for Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify. Favourites the user has made from the streaming service show up in 'My Music' along with the local library. I've given it a try and it seems to work well.

So great that LMS is still being developed. Anyone else got this working?

2. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

Do you have a link to download that version? Thanks.

3. fully_articulated

fully_articulated Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up. That's really quite exciting.

How do you find the stability of the release generally?

4. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

I'm running it on a Allo Digione player which uses a Raspberry pi and Max2Play. It's been working very well. there's a soem additional plugins needed for spotify and remote library integration.
    LMS 8.0 + Spotify+ Material Skin UI Plugin is pretty amazing, there are several threads on the Squezebox forum. Squeezebox : Community : Forums
    If you have a squeezebox device using 8.0 is kind of a must.

Craig likes this.
  5. harmonica98

Absolutely fine so far. You can always revert back if something breaks.

fully_articulated likes this.
  6. harmonica98

RGBARGEE likes this.
  7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I believe they had this in 7.9 as well, using the Qobuz plugin. A bit finicky sometimes, but worked well enough for me. And if they've improved it, well, I'm all in!

Many thanks for Michael Herger, the (I think) former Logitech engineer who seems to be single-handedly keeping this product alive!

pscreed, JackG, Phil Thien and 2 others like this.
  8. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Long live LMS. I've made a small contribution a year ago, time for another one!

JackG likes this.
  9. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Will it make the Tidal MQA files sound good?

I loved my squeezeboxes! If there is any excuse to get them out of the loft I will do it.

10. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Pardon the novice question but can somebody explain Squeezebox? Does this server software offer an alternative to JRiver?

Again sorry, but I'd like to check it out.

Thanks!

11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I love my records but I think the Squeezebox Touch (bought a pair back in 2011) is my top audio purchase of the last decade.

I'd buy him a beer for the Qobuz plugin. Then another one for the Spotty plugin running on the SBT in my daughter's room/system.

12. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

that guy should get a medal for sure

ArneW, rogertheshrubber and gdpeck like this.
  13. sherrill50

I'm not familiar with jRiver, so excuse me if I get the comparison wrong, but if it's a player app similar to iTunes or Foobar 2000, I'd say no, it doesn't offer that kind of alternative.

Basic info on Squeezebox/Logitech Media Player here: Squeezebox (network music player) - Wikipedia

Hope this helps! Cheers -

Rich

14. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you know how to open this link/download? The security on my browser doesn't like it.

BTW, where do you live in London? Grew up there, in Enfield.

15. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

The "integration" with a streaming service as opposed to "compatability" is new with 8.0.

Essentially, any album you choose, on Spotify for example, can be added to your squezebox library with a couple of clicks, and played or added to a playlist as if it was on your local drive. It's pretty seamless once you get the hang of it. You're not downloading the album, just some kind of Spotify link, but LMS switches from local to Spotify and back while the playlist is playing.

To me it's a big deal. I look at it as if I just picked up a gazillion new tracks for 1o bucks a month, 15 if I switch to Qobuz for lossless streaming.

16. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

When did Logitech allow for Spotify? I've been using the Squeezebox Touch for many years but never knew about this. Guess I need to update!

17. guyfromscene24

guyfromscene24 Forum Resident

I guess Spotify on Logitech only works if you have a premium spotify account? Bummer

18. sherrill50

Boy do I stand corrected - you are absolutely right. I no longer have to go to a Qobuz submenu. Everything (my server-side library and my Qobuz stuff) now appears as one, big integrated Library. My Qobuz albums are even appearing in my 'New Music' menu, and in the correct date/time order to boot.

I am IMPRESSED! :) My compliments and thanks to Michael and his helpers!

19. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

So works good with Qobuz? I think I'm going to switch from Spotify.... Need a distraction from current events. Stay safe and enjoy the music.

20. harmonica98

I guess that's because it's an unsecured connection. The webpage is collection of links to the nightly builds for the various different architectures on which LMS can run. Are you running LMS already? It's not difficult but then neither is LMS completely plug and play.

21. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

I am running LMS...but obviously an older version

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Also for integrating Bandcamp. I can stream my entire collection and integrate with My Music. Don't need to DL things and take up space.

pscreed likes this.
  23. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

I’ll take stab at answering this question.
    A Squeezebox was a music streaming device formerly sold by Logitech. There were several different iterations: v1, v2,v3 (Classic), Transporter,Duet, and finally the Touch. For reasons of their own Logitech discontinued these products several years ago.
    However , the software used by squeeze boxes called Logitech Media Server(LMS) is open source, and smart people from all over the world have put together all kind of plugins and customizations over the years.
    Even though the official squeeze boxes are not being produced, there are other other devices that can be operated using LMS, the most popular being Raspberry Pi based. There’s also a market for used devices and very few new ones available online.
    Michael Herger is a Logitech employee who is always working on LMS tweaks and updates, along with other dedicated hobbyists.
    That’s the short version.

Craig, jfeldt and rogertheshrubber like this.
  24. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

I have a question then.

Is there a way I can play a record in one room on my Rega RP3 connected to a Cyrus 8XPD amp, and send the music to a squeezebox in another room?

25. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

There is a plugin for LMS called "WaveInput" that pipes the line input on your sound card out to any Squeezebox device:
    Announce: Wave Input plugin v1.00

You would need to connect a tape out on your amp to line in on the computer running LMS.