Logitech Media Server can now integrate your streaming library

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by harmonica98, Apr 3, 2020.

1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Showing my ignorance here, but how do I link my Spotify credentials once I've updated from LMS 7.9.x to 8.0.0?

EDIT: Ah I see it now, I need the Spotty for Spotify plugin. OK I got it working. But doesn't seem to offer more functionality than I get with AirPlay to my Marantz processor? Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm still controlling Spotify via the iPhone app, it just "plays" out of the Squeezebox. Which is good I guess, but not better than AirPlay.

Also, what are the realistic possibilities for Apple Music integration? I assume Spotify/Quboz have some APIs that Apple Music doesn't allow for.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The one I have turned out to be a brilliant purchase too. I now use it as a Roon bridge with 24/192 digital out into an Arcam rDAC. For now I have that connected into my home office system streaming Qobuz and my own file library.

JackG likes this.
  3. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

There's another plugin- Online Music Integration that you need to activate.

4. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Just installed 8.0 and it's working great with Qobuz, integration is seamless with local files. I use iPeng for control. So cool. Thanks for the heads-up!

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yep got it working.

The integration with LMS is better than I originally described. Spotify is now one of your “apps”, and you can search within your iPeng or SqueezePad app interface. Which is great! Last night, I enjoyed some good jams including the new albums by The Weeknd and Dua Lipa.

I’m almost done with my free trial of Spotify, so the goodness won’t last (for me). I prefer Apple Music for its integration with my HomePod and Amazon Echos that my family uses. Spotify can surely do almost the same, but I don’t want to pay for two services every month.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You can always find another family, Sam! :winkgrin:

wownflutter and SamS like this.
  7. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

This is super cool!
    [​IMG]
    Note the Tidal logo on the album art.

All of my albums listed as favorite on the Tidal web interface now show up as part of my collection. The genre is automatically TIDAL which is not super helpful, however, for trying to do genre based playlists.

But for random tracks it's great to be able to just have that stuff play as if it was a file on my hard drive.

In these weird times I have embarked on some at-home projects, one of which is that I put together a little internet radio station using icecast, capturing whatever comes out of the back of my (analog) preamp. So I can play vinyl as well. The project started as a way to try to reproduce getting together with friends and spinning vinyl during the pandemic.

As I worked on the digital side of this, I realized the value of replay gain. So I went through and added replay gain tags to all my music (I wrote a script and did it in Linux).

Anyhow sorry for the tangent. The new integration with Tidal is fantastic from my perspective. FYI I use just the PCM stream - no MQA unfolding nonsense.

There is a setting with the squeezebox server that lets you set the base level for all stream sources like Tidal. I have mine set at -5 and it matches the replay gain adjustment pretty well. Add smart crossfading and hit play random songs and you've got a rudimentary station. I've even made some of my own IDs haha. It's all hiding behind a password protected site however - I figure sharing with 3 friends won't get me in too much trouble...

8. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Long-time SlimDevices/Squeezebox/Logitech Media Server user here. I just got around to upgrading my server to 7.9.2 last night and getting the Material (handheld) theme going on my Android phone. This was huge for me as the old great controller "Squeeze Commander" never got upgraded to run on the new Android versions, and it's been painful. [ I bought iPeng for my wife and kids who use iPhones. ]

I have a handful of Squeezeboxen around the house and one Pogoplug-based Vortex Box player (which I am not sure if it still works, as I've not used it in months)

Question: I'm not sure what I'm gaining by going to 8.x here if I don't have a Tidal or Qobuz subscription. (yet) I have Spotty working pretty well, but it's still Spotify and not the same as streaming FLAC from my library. I take it that Tidal and Qobuz are like Spotify but offering real-deal FLAC (in 16/44?). I wonder how big their catalogs are... I do appreciate seeing the thread in any case! Long live SlimDevices!:cheers:

Randoms and rogertheshrubber like this.
  9. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

The main advantage to 8.0 is that albums from Spotify show up in "My Music" and can be manipulated as if they are in your local library i.e seamlessly added to a playlist . The resolution, FLAC, MP3, High Res or whatever is a secondary issue. Be aware that 8.0 is currently beta, but it works for me on a Raspberry pi.

dcarwin likes this.
  10. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

Thanks! Makes sense.

11. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

I have been using OrangeSqueeze as a controller on my Android phones for years and love it! Well worth the couple of bucks for the app!

dcarwin and Theadmans like this.
  12. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Another good one for Android users. angryGoat - Squeeze Ctrl for Android

dcarwin and c-eling like this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

One I've been using happily for a few years now Randoms :righton:
    [​IMG]

Craig and Randoms like this.
  14. Randoms

Me too.

c-eling likes this.
  15. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Which app is that? I’m looking to try a new one.

16. Randoms

angryGoat - Squeeze Ctrl for Android

Very nice app.

Craig, jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  17. Coramdeo

Coramdeo Well-Known Member

I am running a squeezebox classic and just upgraded to LMS v 8 and installed the Tidal plugin. I can see the Tidal plugin on LMS and select and play songs in the Web interface on my computer but they show up on my squeezebox and never play just the title shows even though it shows playing in the LMS web interface. Anyone else have this issue and fix it?

18. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on LMS8! Hopefully back to using Tidal - it dropped off the perch with the old version of LMS once Ickstream was discontinued.

Progress so far - Installed for Windows just fine. Immediately found the Transporter. And once I gave the path to my NAS drive it scanned the music library fine.

And the integration with iPeng is seamless.

So far so very good.

19. Coramdeo

Coramdeo Well-Known Member

Figured out how to get Tidal to work on Squeezebox classic 2. Just had to adjust to proxied streaming for the streaming method under the player tab and the audio drop down menu and works now!

20. hankhsucc

hankhsucc Member

Can anyone help to provide the detailed instructions about how to integrate streaming library like Tidal to LMS "My Music" ?

Thank you !

21. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Join the the LMS forum:
    Squeezebox : Community : Forums

You'll find what you need there.

Randoms likes this.
  22. Randoms

For any Synology NAS owners, this made going to LMS 8.0 so very simple LmsUpdate and LmsRepack - Synology 8.0.* packages

The work that those guys put in supporting LMS is absolutely brilliant and with EDO and now LMS 8.0 with the benefits it brings, once again the £100 my s/h Touch cost I'm reminded what a superb, bargain product it is.

ArneW and JackG like this.
  23. bruss

bruss Member

Hi, newbie here just joined the forum

Thanks for the info re Qobuz.

Good app and I am now streaming from a win 10 pc based server to Duets and a single Touch. The sqbx wouldn't handle the 24/192 files at all even with on the Touch hi res plug in.

It now handles them on the Duets and the Touch. Excellent bit of s/w.

One problem but I think it may be Qobuz account related. I can stream the 24/192 files from within sqbx server by selecting the album in, say 'My music/album artists, but from the Qobuz plug in it will only play the album ( my purchases) at mp3 320 quality.
    I don't have a Qobuz account, I just download the hi res files as a purchase from Qobuz.

Anyone have similar experience and found a way round that? or am I going to have to register an account with Qobuz to get full fat access to my owned albums?

Thanks

24. hankhsucc

hankhsucc Member

I found Tidal on LMS fail to get audio stream. Anyone know what happened ? Thank you !

25. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident