Logitech officially discontinues its Harmony remotes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, Apr 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, ****.

I use the Harmony Hub and smart remote and I am very satisfied. I guess I will have to look for an alternativ next time.

People mention SofaBaton U1....

tin ears likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Ah. Looks like I have to get a second one as backup, now that they’re still available.

3. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Looks very Harmony-like, doesn't it.

I'm a happy Harmony user for many years. I hate change. They say it's good, but it never is.

4. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I had the 650 for years and it was a great tool...until the "8" died.
    Replaced with the 665...it is not nearly as good regarding stabillity with macros or power.
    I don't need/want anything too complex (similar functionality would be good).
    Other recommendations?

5. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

That's too bad, I have been using them for ten years or so.

At least they are still providing support.

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I had a Harmony remote for a while. It worked great until I no longer could get support for it.

7. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

That's too bad. I love my Harmony remote.

8. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

That’s a shame. I used a Harmony One for a long while and replaced it with a Harmony Elite and hub a few years back. The Elite controls our TV, multiple set top boxes, consoles, hifi and several smart devices. I’d hate to go back to using separate remotes for everything.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Bummer! I currently have three in active use:
    • Harmony Elite
    • Harmony One+
    • Harmony Smart Control w/Hub and Alexa
    The Smart Control w/Hub + Alexa is really brilliant for use in my living room. The kids/wife often misplace the remote, and with an Alexa command, we can at least get the system turned on/off and select a source.
    I suppose with everyone moving to smart TVs + soundbars, this was inevitable. But for those of us with receivers and multiple sources including disc players, it was a really game changer.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve got a Harmony remote that’s great, but this seems analogous to the shuttering of Oppo — sobering and regrettable but not a category-obliterating catastrophe. I’m seeing quite a few well-reviewed non-Logitech alternatives on Amazon.

Or is there some proprietary magic in the Harmony remotes I’m not aware of?

11. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

The Harmony remote is another "web service" that only works at the behest of the manufacturer keeping the servers going. The database of remotes is on the server, and only individually download on to the remote on demand. So like everything else "cloud" it works as long as they want it to work.

They could easily put all known codes into the software installer and configurator, but don't.

I have a Logitech Cyberman II 3D controller that still works - in Windows 98. They abandoned it.

13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I love my harmony remote. The one I have is about 10 years old. Still works. It’s great to push one button have everything change on your system to what you want to watch. Going from cable tv to watching movies is so easy anyone in the house can do it.

14. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

This stinks. I have two harmony elite remotes in service and was probably going to buy another one in the near future. The Activities feature is absolutely essential for the non-techies in the house.

PTgraphics and recstar24 like this.
  15. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Exactly. Cloud hosting providers often claim that cloud hosting is a way to keep data safe, but it’s not.
    It’s one of the most unreliable ways to store data.

Tim 2 and GME like this.
  16. Mp0wer

Mp0wer Member

I’m confused they said “universal remotes are no longer as crucial as they once were”

This is not good news, going to pick up another spare.

17. VictoryHighway

VictoryHighway Use of goto is deprecated.

The big problem is how long are they going to keep the servers running? Without them, these cloud connected remotes are bricks.

Tim 2 likes this.
  18. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Do any of the Harmony models support learning the commands from per-device remotes and thus would not be dependent on the server database for new devices?

Thanks.

Doug

19. GME

GME Well-Known Member

It’s a shame you’re all commenting here, where they’ll never read it, it’s like an wcho chamber - but imagine what would happen if you and the rest of all their customers emailed and called them - they might think twice about that decision.

I guess an alternative will be using a remote control app for the smartphone (yes many still have IR built in)

20. Kristofferabild

I have one and I don't think so. And if you can do it, it will still depend on the database. The Harmony approach is very much server based.

Doug_B likes this.
  21. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I wonder if the My Harmony app is also going away? Pretty much makes a Harmony remote useless if it does.

22. Kristofferabild

They say support will continue, whatever that means.

GME likes this.
  23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

a lot of future maintenance would be needed...adding all of the new models electronics to the database. I wouldn't run out and buy another Harmony remote at this point.

24. harby

harby Forum Resident

It's the opposite of a learning remote - you are at the whims of Logitech to add new devices. Quite the opposite of full-customizable remotes like the Philips Pronto where it could learn and be fully programmed, custom touchscreen graphics, and you can even manually type in the IR broadcast button codes.

Also, Logitech remotes work on the "macro" concept. They want you to have it operate multiple devices, like you press the DVD button and it turns on your TV and receiver and switches the input, but this takes 100x the work getting everything to still not operate like you'd expect.

Logitech is one of the few that has a RF hub that can both blast IR and also retransmit the remote's home base communication as device radio communication. An unnecessary step though.

I can see the remotes being retired in the age of smart devices - when your fire stick can be controlled with a keyboard, and there's an app for every device (with the requisite cloud also) that they can't employ.

Doug_B likes this.
  25. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I used a Harmony remote for years and one day it stopped working about six months ago. I tried everything I could think of to revive it, but no luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.