London Grammar - Truth Is A Beautiful Thing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

The latest release from London Grammar is an absolute stunner of an album. Hannah Reid's voice is impeccable, haunting and beautiful on every track. I can't seem to get enough of their sound. Is anyone else loving the heck out of this brilliant band?

Just a few tracks that give me goosebumps: Big Picture, Oh Woman Oh Man, Bones of Ribbons, Who I Am, Leave the War With me... the list goes on!

2. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

A great album, I've played it 20 plus times since its release, I would say this album is an evolution of their début, no bad thing in my eye’s as I love their début :thumbsup:

I would also agree with everything you’ve said about Hannah Reid’s voice and more, I think she has the stand out voice of her generation, its jaw drooping live :love:

Tokyo Ghost and OptimisticGoat like this.
  3. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Hannah Reid is from another planet. Truly sublime.

Tokyo Ghost, crispi and wbhendrix like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

This album is fantastic! All 18 songs of the deluxe edition hold my attention!

Agreed Hannah's voice is exquisite!

Tokyo Ghost and wbhendrix like this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The new album is great and the debut also. London Grammar truly delivers and I just love them.
    I remember the first time I heard songs from them (must have been "Strong" most likely) I was stunned and amazed of how great it did sound.
    Hannah Reid totally has her own impeccable, beautiful and unique voice. London Grammar are one of my absolute favorite groups in the last couple years.

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first album and streamed the new one. They're a very atmospheric band - like a late night version of Florence and the Machine - and Hannah's vocals are indeed their strong card. But I wonder about their songwriting; I'm not sure how far you can push that 'moody, yearning' vibe before you need another string to your bow.

7. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I have ordered it on the basis of my liking the first album. GREAT VOICE.

8. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

This album is sublime.

Took me a while to 'get' their first album, it was worth the wait.
    Awaiting this album with eagerness, first play again, didn't grab me, after ten plays on... I love love it.
    The Cambridge University trio totally landed with this ablum.
    I urge forum members to give it a listen, also available on Vinyl.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Really good album. Hannah Reid is just fantastic live. There are a ton of live videos on YouTube and she sounds great...

Example:

Tokyo Ghost and deany76 like this.
  10. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Love her voice and her music. I just wish they'd take down the reverb a few notches.

11. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

One of the best of the year. I'd like to see where they can really push the music sonically on future records. The guitar on this latest album strays into 80s U2 territory here and there which I'm not over keen on but basically it's a really good album

deany76 likes this.
  12. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Hannah and Ellie - lead singer of "Wolf Alice" are arguably the most talented, and blessed by more than their fair share of good looks, female artists in music today.

13. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Has anyone else got this on vinyl? My UK copy is Rice Krsipies throughout and I'm reading similar things on Discogs...

14. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

My LP copy of this.

(GZ pressing, no problems. Some ticks here and there that should go away with a cleaning.)

[​IMG]

LivingForever likes this.
  15. 16s

16s Forum Resident

I purchased the deluxe version and its a pretty bad pressing. Side D loads of non fill. Noisy and warped. The actually recording on any format is not very good though. It is overly compressed and Hannah's vox clip through out the album. Disappointed!

16. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I've seen them live twice in a festival setting, and that voice has amazing command and presence on stage.

Tokyo Ghost and LivingForever like this.
  17. stem

stem Forum Resident

Yes.
    Mine is fine. Hardly a crackle.
    I am not 100% convinced by the actual sound quality. Seems variable. Some tracks seem impressive. Others over-compressed - but I guess that is the nature of the beast these days.

16s likes this.
  18. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Stunning album. I love Hannah's voice but for me it is the music that makes these tracks. I could listen to either as a piece but together they are like 2 parts of the whole.

Tokyo Ghost and deany76 like this.
  19. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

Totally agree, a major YES for album of 2017 for me.
    Cheers!
    Ps
    They Seem like nice people to, studentie, intelligent, attractive, very very talented.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  20. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It would be interesting to hear them recorded live in a cathedral so that the reverb was 100% natural. Got to say: although I thought on release that this album was too stylistically narrow, I always enjoy it when I play it.

21. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I agree about the SQ. Had to really take the sub down to avoid my living room resonating like a pimped up VW Golf. Slightly disappointing for such an amazingly pure voice. She should take a leaf out of Gillian Welch's book.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Actually, I was thinking, "Planet Birdy", myself...they have that same wounded-animal vibe working for them:

From the offered sample (delicious, BTW!), I'm reminded a little of Danial Lanois'/Eno's work on U2's Joshua Tree, in that rolling, "churning-into-a-melodic-statement" production sound, and I would not pass on this album from what I here so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.