Long Island, New York Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Mike from NYC, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

I know of one record store on LI, can anybody list a few more? A search of the telephone books, online and hardcopy, reveals nothing but I know they are out there somewhere.

Eastern Suffolk is far but may be worth while.

Thanks

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

There is Infinity Records here in Massapequa Park at Park Blvd/ Sunrise Hwy. Lots of used vinyl.

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. I have been there already and bought some Rory Gallagher albums in mint condition. Nice owners too.

4. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

I did enjoy Mr. Cheapos in Mineola. There is another in Commack. Nothing super rare, but it has some treasures... Infinity is the real find, however.

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

All the time I lived on L.I., I never got to Infinity myself, but I will give a thumbs up :righton: to Mr. Cheapos (Both locations--Mineola on Jericho Turnpike and Smithtown in The Mayfair Shopping Center). I'm not a minty sort of person, and they often have 25¢ 45 boxes which usually contain some pretty nice discs. You just have to dig!

6. Dr. O'Boogie

Dr. O'Boogie Forum Resident

Record Stop - Portion Road, Lake Ronkonkoma

Lots of good finds!

7. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Avenue D Records in East Islip.

8. Propinquity

STAY AWAY FROM WHIRLIN DISC!!!!!!!!!!

9. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Slipped Disc - Valley Stream - probably the best rock CD store on Long Island. They also carry a full line of Jay Turser guitars, who's home base is on Long Island.

Looney Tunes - W. Babylon - good store as well.

CD Island - Rockville Centre - tons of used CDs. I picked up a Hoffman Suddenly 70s there cheap.

Soundtraks - Huntington (not a big deal, but worth a pop-in if you are in the neighborhood)

North Shore Sound - Oyster Bay, NY - this store has more tchotckes and promotional items than you'll find ANYWHERE. The owner used to collect this stuff like mad and the store was the biggest mess you'd ever see. But, it was one of the best stocked indies on Long Island, you just could never find anything. The owner sadly passed away of a sudden heart attack a few months ago and his wife is still keeping the store open with some of his staff now running it and actually cleaning it up a little bit. The owner was a good friend and I was really shocked by his death as he had just turned 50 only a month before.

Permanent Records - Northport, NY - cool little eclectic indie store in a little village-type neighborhood.

Mr. Cheapo's - Mineola/Commack, NY - good if you don't mind a bunch of well-printed Russian two-fer pirated CDs mixed in with the rest of the stock.

Record Stop - Lake Ronkonkama, NY - good selection here although it's a lot of Canadian stock.

10. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Record Stop is good for, ahem, imports, shall we say... I highly recommend as well.

11. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Very high prices on most common cds. I stopped going there about six years ago.

12. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ahhh,not anymore.Hasn't had any 'imports' for about 10 years now......

13. Drawer L

:righton: Can't believe they're still open......

14. Drawer L

They're good IF you think music ended when the Beatles came to America.... :laugh:

15. Drawer L

Totally!!!--Most of the stuff in the bargain bins in Cheapo's,just has to be cleaned.'Specailly in Mineola,Joe's really picky about what goes in the regular price bins.
    (And the other store is Commack,not Smithtown,Chip!-See what happens when you leave Long Island,you forget stuff! :D

16. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Semantics Semantics Semantics!!!! Excuse me...the TOWN of Smithtown..... :laugh:

17. Drawer L

That's better! :D

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

........them places is my hunting grounds........... mine I say:winkgrin:

19. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

I stopped in there on a cross country trip recently, Farmingdale I think.
    Creepy. Rude. Yeah, the guy in there is a lot of help. And his LPs are packed so tight next to each other you can't even flip through them! When I left (empty-handed) I said, "OK, thank you". The guy never even looked up at me.
    Found some good things in both Mr. Cheapos but at the one in Queens (I think) I put my cd walkman on the counter (had it with me to check times on Who's Next) and in the blink of an eye it vanished off the face of the earth! Very impressive trick!

20. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Careful what y'all are saying about Whirlin' Disc, or Steve is gonna get you!!!!!!!! :yikes:

Attached Files:

21. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Thanks for the memory

Wow, I haven't seen Steve in twenty years. Is that a current picture?

I had heard that Record Stop in Ronkonkoma had closed. Is that true? I got lots of good imported vinyl there in the late 80's, like German Beatles pressings. How about that narrow store in Commack, in a corner of a shopping center on Commack Road, with drawers full of 45's?

22. Propinquity

Did you notice how ridiculously high his prices are? The last time I was there I was looking at Monkees records and he was selling a Colgems HEAD for 75 bucks. Decent shape, but not sealed and there was nothing special about it. Shortly after that I went to Avenue D records and found a M- Colgems HEAD promo for 10 bucks.

You gotta wonder how Steve stays in business. I don't see how he can be making much money there. He probably has another source of income, or has a fortune in savings.

23. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

Trade

He would provide records to our oldies station in exchange for commercials, mostly those Collectibles 45's. His store seemed to emphasize pre-1964 music when I last visited, and in that, he had few rivals.

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Hmmmmm....what station did YOU work at? He did the same thing where I worked in Babylon!

That pic was taken during June 2000, oddly enough at our radio station, where we had all converged for two months as bankruptcy trustees to run the place after the "owners" had run off into the sunset and left the place for dead. Our "group" consisted of employees from the "heyday" of the station from 1988-1994, and the spring of 2000 was kinda like a 2-month long "reunion".

Our P.D. worked out a deal with Steve to run some spots and get some music in return.

Anyway...returning to the post subject at hand, I remember that place in the corner of the shopping center in Commack. I stopped in there once back around '98 or so, and he was selling A LOT of homemade CD-R compilations RIGHT OFF THE RACKS!!!! I'm sorry, but THAT takes ba**s!!!! (This was loooooong before CR-R technology was cheap enough for everyone.

Don't know if he's still open or not.

25. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

The Mighty 1290

I worked at your crosstown rival, WGLI from 1984 to 1986. I assumed from your Long Island history and your user name that you worked at 1440 WNYG, where Warren Greene went after he left The Mighty 1290. At least your station is still standing, Chip!

Mr. Cheapo's sounds like the place that opened a second store in Commack around 1987 or '88, their first store being somewhere in Nassau County. I'm glad to read they're still open. I still remember the first CD store I visited, in Huntington on New York Avenue near 25A, just south of the southwest corner, I think. I got some of my earliest CD's there, including the Steve Hoffman-mastered Mamas and Papas hits CD. I can't remember the name of the place. It was quite small, holding less than a hundred titles at first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.