Long live the Boognish: Ween LP Box Set!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serge

serge Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm surprised about how little love Ween gets around here!.. They've put out some incredible stuff and the 4 album Chocolate Cheese- 12 Golden Country Greats- The Mollusk- White Pepper has been matched by few artists.. They're also one of the more entertaining live acts out there and consistently give great shows... I saw them recently and they played for about three hours! Actually I've been catching them live since 1996 and they are always a great time.

Anyways their stuff has always been very hard to find on vinyl and highly collectible... Plain Records has put out a numbered box set limited to 1000 copies with some nice extras.. I just got my copy and its a real nice looking package... Have only listened to 12 golden country greats and it sounds pretty good....

Check the details here.. this will sell out I'm guessing but I wonder if Plain Records intends to release them individually once the box set is gone.. the individual records come with bar codes and Plain Records catalog numbers so I wouldn't be surprised..

http://www.auralexploits.com/product_6618.htm

2. monks dream

monks dream New Member

Ween fan here. My wife turned me on to them. Saw them live a few years back as well, great show. I would pick this up if I spun vinyl, but if it comes out on cd I will have to. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

Only disappointment thusfar for me is that 12 Golden Country Greats contains the version of "Powder Blue" without the Ali sample that was found on the first pressing. Wish they could have done a nicer edit.

4. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one. This thing has already reached ridiculous price levels on epay.

It's funny that the only three Ween albums I care to own are crazy expensive (Mollusk, White Pepper, and Quebec). Now I just need to nail down Quebec.

5. NYC45nut

NYC45nut Active Member

I love early-90s Ween, I saw them in 1994 supporting "Chocolate & Cheese."
    But after "Pure Guava," I thought they lost 'that special something' (AKA signed to a major label....) but had the occational spark of brilliance...
    Just MHO
    This vinyl boxed set sounds sweet though...!
    Drift away on a puffy cloud...................................................

6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

WOW! There's not even mention of THIS on their web-site!!!!

7. jamesanderson

jamesanderson New Member

whoa! awesome :) thank you for the heads UP!

8. serge

Yup no Ali... I noticed that.. I just don't think they're ever eithar a) going to get it cleared by Ali's people and/or b) be able to pay the Ali people what they want..Its a shame but its a wonderful album regardless...I believe the original 1000 LP pressing of 12 golden country greats has the Ali but I'm not sure

I found out about the Box Set here:

http://weendotnetforum16662.yuku.com/topic/20871?page=1

On the thread you can see the band's friend and I think manager Pat Frey confirms that the release is legit because initially some thought it was a bootleg... I guess it was something Warner/Rhino took to the band and the band gave it the OK.. What I'm unclear about is: will there be another box set with Pure Guaua/The Pod/Godweensatan? Will the individual LPs be released subsequent to the box set being released?

The lack of Ween on LP has always been a giant hole in my collection so this box set comes in real handy and the packaging is truly first rate...

9. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

Serge,

Thanks so much for posting this. I love Ween and had no clue about this set. The Mollusk alone usually goes for $200 to $300 on the bay. Just placed my order for this set. Can't wait to receive. Thanks again! BOOGNISH!!!

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I tend to listen to the earlier ones if I'm in the mood. Pure Guava is such a great album and the Pod is beyond funny. Only saw them live once, during the Quebec tour, but it was a fantastic evening.

11. Drewbie

Drewbie Forum Resident

I have see Ween live many times and they are always great. Plus, being from the Philly area I have seen them play small shows at local bars when they are getting ready for a tour. Those shows are always a treat.

I like the early stuff as much as the later stuff. The only record I really don't care for is La Cucaracha. Hopefully they can come back strong with their next offering.

12. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

The great thing about Ween on vinyl is if you play it at a higher speed you have a brand new Ween song -- I haven't done it in ages, but used to love doing that with God Ween Satan ...

13. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

How is the sound quality of this new vinyl release?

14. jamesanderson

jamesanderson New Member

have not got mine yet. will let you know how it sounds on my modest system asap.

15. serge

To me they sound great.. Mollusk seems to have least surface noise.. 12 Golden Country Greats some surface noise but sounds is really good.. I am not an audiophile but can usually tell when something is awful and these are not. at least no warps or sibillance..

These are out of stock as of today..Guess they sold it out....I wonder if they'll issue the albums separately now.. or a new issue of the box in a nonumbered edition

I love ween so much- and these albums are so tough to find- i ended up picking up three...

16. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

I wanna testify: I love Ween but I don't feel a pressing (hah!) need for Ween on vinyl. Their albums were carefully made for CD issue and the CDs sound great.

If I ever heard the vinyl was really special I'd get into it ...

17. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

Anybody have a review of the vinyl SQ yet?

18. jamesanderson

jamesanderson New Member

pics would be nice as well. i'll try to get at leat those when i receive mine.

19. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

Bought this set at Ameoba in LA yesterday for 90. They still had about 20 copies. Just listened to the 1st side of each album. The SQ mastering wise sounds pretty good. The colored vinyl has noise though. Mollusk seems to have the least amount of surface noise, White Pepper the most. Each LP has a slight warp that does not effect SQ. Cool packaging. Just wish the vinyl was quieter. Expensive for this noisy of vinyl IMO. Has anybody else gotten a quiet pressing of this set or is this just all we can expect from colored vinyl?

20. serge

Mine are completely flat.. Mollusk is the best sounding and noisefree. White Pepper has a bit of noise and in my case I think the 12 GCG has the most noise.. However, although they have a bit of noise in some spots- and I'm not an audiophile- I think they sound really good and what noise there is does not distract... ...

In my case I was happy with the sound and bought two more copies to stock away (remain unopened).

21. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I got around to spinning all three of the albums. I basically agree with everyone else -- good sound with some surface noise, especially on White Pepper which seems to have a short scratch across side 1. I think 12GCG has the least surface noise for me.

Anyway, glad I bought it. I always thought colored vinyl was a dumb novelty, but these sure look nice on the turntable. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.