Longest commerically released 7 inch 45rpm record? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by videoman, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. videoman

videoman Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, that would be it.

But what's "Child In Time"? Ian Gillian?

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Don't forget the "*" to denote the title change!

:)

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Almost forgot; the Slits' inteview disc (included free with the first pressing of the 'Return Of The Giant Slits' LP) ran for 12+ minutes. It was just spoken word (on that side) though, and it was part of the album package - not issued by itself. Does that count as "commercially released"?

4. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

6. BillyK

BillyK Forum Resident

Ouch -- Don't know about that one.

MMM... Couldn't be "American Pie" because the split that one between 2 sides.

"Roundabout" was edited.

"Riders On The Storm" was edited.

MMM. What about "light my fire"? -- edited? or how about "LA Woman" (was this an actual single?)

"HIT SINGLE" you mean?

7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wasn't McCartney's song "Check My Machine" a b-side? That one runs over ten minutes.

Evan

9. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

10. Yeah, but a vinyl LP with a near-80 minute playing time is pretty wild. I didn't know you could get beyond 34 min a side at 33.

Maybe there should be another more general thread dedicated to discs that really pushed the mastering limits of their formats, time-wise.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

forgive me.

12. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I had never checked the times for either of these songs, but I had always assumed Hey Jude was longer. It was common practice for producers to purposely misprint the time for 45s in the 1960s so that top 40 stations wouldn't reject their records if they were over 3 or 3-1/2 minutes long. I believe Phil Spector did that with the Righteous Brothers song - You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling.

13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

well well wild.

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I'm sure I remember reading an interview with Jimmy Webb where he thought that The Beatles mixed 'Hey Jude' to be one second longer than MP.

15. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

You're thinking of 'Secret Friend', which was the b-side of the 12''-only 'Temporary Secretary' single in the U.K.

16. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That's what I was saying - before Springsteen's number, it appeared to be 8:46. In other words, in '87 The Boss surpassed the Magic Carpet Riders.

However, in '71 there was an oddity. That year, on A&M single #1298 (I.I.N.M.), Booker T. & Priscilla issued a 45, "The Wedding Song," whose time was listed on the label as 9:26. However, my copy clocked in around 5 minutes. At normal 45 speed. At which it was mastered.

17. I can't believe that actually plays at 45 rpm. The mastering engineer must have been a genius/madman to cut a disc so long and have it play without problem. Methinks I'll have to pick up a copy just to see how it sounds (perhaps like a brick'd CD played quietly?)...

18. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

10.03 @ 45 RPM cut at Masterdisc

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The longest "hit" on one side of a 45 was "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses; the entire song, which is longer than the unedited "American Pie," was squeezed onto one side of a Geffen 7-inch single.

Speaking of "American Pie," in 1992 a reissue single was pressed on the EMI label in the US with the entire song on one side of a 7-inch 45 for the first time.

Other long A-sides include:
    "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris, 7:20 (not 7:29)
    "Do You Feel Like We Do" by Peter Frampton, 7:19
    "Hey Jude" by the Beatles, 7:11

As for LPs, there was a company called Fleetwood in Boston, which is best known for its sports-related LPs, that in the 1970s marketed some LPs that contained -- get this -- 45 minutes of music on one side. I've got a couple of these suckers. One of them was called 90 Minutes with Mantovani; a couple others featured the Boston Pops. Basically, there's no bass at all.

It also was not uncommon in the early 1990s for British import LPs to contain 70-75 minutes of music on one record -- which is how Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell was released.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Several people beat me to it with the mention of Steppenwolf's "For Madmen Only" for a 60s candidate.

While many have spoken of "MacArthur Park" and "Hey Jude," I want to point out that around this same time, I recall seeing a Cannonball Adderley single with a B-side that ran 7:59. Anyone have a clue as to what that might have been, and if my memory of the time is correct?

One more thing: didn't the full version of Eurythmics' "Here Comes the Rain Again" come out on a single, and wasn't it eight minutes plus?

21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Don't remember that on a 45. There was a 12 inch single version, but it only ran 5:05 at 33 1/3.

22. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Another contender is Derek & The Dominos "Layla",running at 7:34 (I think). (It was the longest 45 ATCO had put out at the time.) Michael Boyce

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree it is a contender. But I thought it only ran 7:10 or 7:11. But I may be remembering the LP version.

24. tim_neely

The flip side of "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" was called "Games," and my 45 gives a time of 7:00.

"Here Comes the Rain Again" is 5:05 on my US RCA 45. The flip side, however, was "Paint a Rumour," and it is listed as 8:00.

25. tim_neely

Another very long flip side not yet mentioned was on the Simple Minds single "All the Things She Said." Its B-side was a live version of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" that has a listed time of 9:09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.