Looking for best phono preamp under $1,000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rightovers, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

His take on rumble is interesting but...

At the lowest frequencies the sorts of phase issues he describes aren't as easily detected (why subwoofers can be placed away from mains), but wildly flapping woofers really interfere with bass reproduction, and it isn't subtle at all.

I'm not sure how the 42-2109 handles the 30-hz roll-off, it may be an aspect of the filtering they implemented, or component selection. For all I know it isn't phasey at all.

I'd have tried something from Graham Slee but I gotta have cone control for when I want to listen at higher SPL. I'm sure his stuff is otherwise excellent.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I've used subsonic filters before (the filter plug and built in type made with the phono pre) and never noticed a problem. That said, I may not have been listening critically. I will say that I don't really miss the feature now, but I am not listening at high SPLs and I don't run a subwoofer. I try to avoid records with warps and my cart is well matched to my arm...which may also play a part. With high SPL, I'd imagine you need to watch the turntable placement and isolation very carefully.

3. Phil Thien

Yep wall mounted and on spring isolation feet. All DIY.

Fixing problems I've identified/isolated at higher SPL has paid dividends at lower SPL, mostly in what I'd call improved resolution.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Sweetspot

Sweetspot Well-Known Member

Dig for a vintage preamp with phono like yamaha c50 or higher, onkyo integra p-3xxx. They are the summit of this technology, like the saturn rockets were...

5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

this describes the lehmann black cube se ii . looking under the hood you need a decent power supply to deliver clarity and punch and the bcseii has it. out of the ones i have owned and heard this one is by far the best at or near the price.
    it also has the best and most versatile / adjustable rumble and bass filters i have seen if you need.

GoldprintAudio and Voxy like this.
  6. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Any difference with the extra PSU?

Thanks.

7. Voxy

Voxy Active Member

8. Scout1.1

Scout1.1 Forum Resident

So close, get a second hand Rogue Ares for $1100.

9. danwdrums

danwdrums New Member

I have a Heed Quasar. It's slightly over 1k but i auditioned a lot of the ones mentioned on the thread and it crushed most of them

10. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

bought them both at the same time....never tried the wall wart...sorry bud

Mike70 likes this.
  11. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Are you sure an under $1000 phono stage will sound any better than the phono built into your Marantz?

LakeMountain likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The only paper that I am concerned about is an alignment protractor. Having heard all of them over and over again on many different decks, I am confident that the Bronze is a much better cartridge. It sounds better to me, which is most important, but it also tracks better objectively.
    -Bill

GKH likes this.
  13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

A unit right at $1000 will almost certainly sound better. He needs a cartridge upgrade first as he has his cart getting ahead of his horse a bit at the moment.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and GKH like this.
  14. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

The advantage of an integrated phono stage is that the signal path is very short.
    Also, selection criteria for a 1k$ phono stages are usually more important, if you use an MC, low output cart, because of the high amplification factor. And then you also need a good phono cable.

I like the suggestions to better upgrade your cart to 2m bronze or even black. That should be a noticeable improvement.

Should you ever further upgrade to a MC cart, you could then go for the external phono stage.

GKH likes this.
  15. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

I had a 2M Blue paired with a Slee Reflex M for a while and it was a killer combo. A significant upgrade over the integrated phono in my Rogue CMII. I’ve since upgraded carts and gone down a DIY tube phono rabbit hole, but I still have a lot of affection for the Reflex. The loaner program is great.

16. Phil Thien

Right.

It is going to sound different. Likely it will be hummier. Level matched to the built in unit I have my doubts it will sound better.

One thing I've noticed over and over in these threads is that people prefer phono stages with more gain, which tells me a lot of people don't understand that a device that is even 1db (sometimes less) louder will always win. That is why you need to level match.

clercqie likes this.
  17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It’s a good tracker, for sure. Tonally, I don’t dig it, but that’s just me.

IllinoisCheesehead likes this.
  18. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I haven't tried a Gold Lion as I have a nice stash of 12au7's to experiment with. So far I am very happy with a Raytheon blackplate branded Baldwin. Huge improvement over the stock. Not that I would call the stock a POS, but there is certainly room for improvement and not much need be spent to achieve it.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

20. rightovers

rightovers New Member Thread Starter

Yes that's what this thread has brought to light for me. This thread has been great.

KT88 and bloodlemons like this.
  21. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

nice tubes, but ... plastic cabinet? In a phono headamp?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I can't speak to the other models, but with the Reflex M, the PSU-1 made the phono stage quieter in terms of noise. Switch mode wall warts are noisy by nature a lot of the time and will add a certain amount of noise to a phono stage. That said I happily ran the wall wart for several months before getting the PSU-1. The difference in noise is something you're only likely to notice while playing delicate music or no music at all.

Mike70 likes this.
  24. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It makes sense ... better power ... less noise floor. With high sensibility speakers surely is more important.

25. hagtech

hagtech Jim Hagerman

It's actually pretty easy to filter out the high frequency noise from a wall wart. If done properly, they end up adding no more noise than a traditional style power supply. They do have the advantage of far less hum and buzz injection. Rectification at 120Hz is rather noisy compared to 120kHz...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.