Looking for integrated amplifier advice <$2000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Xpression Carbon, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to make a purchase shortly of an integrated amplifier for a smallish room. @150sqft. I have it narrowed down to new and used Yamaha 2100, Arcam SA20, Cambridge CXA61, Moon Ace, Audiolab Omnia. The Yamaha, Ace and Omnia I can find for relatively the same price used. Cambridge and Arcam likely $800 cheaper. I don't like anything too analytical as I prefer a detailed rich sound and great bass response. Mostly non audiophile classic rock recordings on vinyl via a Rega p6/FonoMC and (new) mission 700's. Research is spinning me in circles, would love some input on a decent amp from anyone with experience in some of these options. Visually, I like the look of them all, except maybe the Arcam but if it is the best value for dollar then I can live with that.

TheAbsentMind and Toneh like this.
  2. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

That's very specific and you already have it narrowed down, you need to decide for yourself.

__Patrick__ and Xpression Carbon like this.
  3. Xpression Carbon

That is true. As I can't demo most before purchase, particularly if I am buying used via shipping, I'm trying to get a feel for other owners experience as these are popular brands within my budget. Or if anything stood out, ie I had it and it was too bright leaning for that type of music but great for modern recordings, etc. I certainly welcome recommendations and good experiences with other brands that I haven't mentioned for sure.

TheAbsentMind likes this.
  4. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

That's a good price range, maybe consider some new schiit separates.

Xpression Carbon likes this.
  5. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Yeah sorry didn't mean to close off the conversation and I didn't add anything.

6. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

For your room size, the Ace would be great. I've owned two Simaudio integrated amps over the years, both very nice, and offered the preferred sound you describe.

BD2665, jonwoody, Toneh and 1 other person like this.
  8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I have the Simaudio 240i, which I think is basically the Ace without the streamer and is significantly less expensive. I like it a lot. Do you need the streamer? Not all of the other amps you mention have that feature.

BD2665, timind, Toneh and 1 other person like this.
  9. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

Since you already have some Rega gear, why not an Elex-R. On closeout new for $1395 USD, can be found used in near mint condition for $900 - $1000 USD.

10. Xpression Carbon

No worries, it is all personal preference in the end. It's true.

11. Steemax

Steemax Forum Resident

You can buy a factory refurbished silver Yamaha A-S1200 /w 3 year warranty on Accessories4Less for $1999 right now instead of going for the older 2100. Just a suggestion, I'm thoroughly enjoying my 1200.

12. Xpression Carbon

That is good to know, as I wouldn't rule out the 240i. How do you find the bass response? I went with the example of the Ace as it had slightly more power, I want to make sure I have enough bass extension at lower listening volumes, not necessarily to rattle the house. ha I don't necessarily need the streamer. I have the Squeezebox, old as it is, it sounds pretty good. Barring that there's Volumio on a rpi, or I can pick up a WiiM pro etc. I'm mainly looking for a quality amp, and if it has a good DAC and/or MM phono stage that's all the better.

13. NettleBed

The room mine is in is about 350 square feet and IMO there is plenty of power, though I guess power requirements are determined by the speakers, too. Adjectives I'd use to describe it in my system would be "clear, refined, deep, slightly warmish in the midrange." Bass sounds pretty good to me; However, there are others in here who have heard way more amps than I have who might be able to discuss how the bass compares to other options, and of course that's also going to depend on the speakers being used. I'm using fairly slender, efficient floor-standers with 6.5" woofers. They provide good bass, but their biggest strength is imaging (I'm in an apartment; stuff like Hereseys) are just not in the cards. In short, I think the Moon is an excellent match for my space and speakers and listening habits. As far as the DAC, I swapped a few DACs into it in the $1K - $2K range when I was building a headphone system, just to hear what they sounded like. Some sounded *slightly* better than the inboard DAC, but I would hope DACs costing nearly as much as the whole amp could outperform the inboard DAC. In short, the DAC is more than fine, IMO, unless you happen to want a ladder DAC sound (in which case, you'd want to be doing a separate DAC anyway).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Xpression Carbon likes this.
  14. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

My current (power) amp is a Simaudio Moon 330a and before that I had a Yamaha A-S2200.
    Insofar as they're indicative of each companies respective "house sound" I'd say either Simaudio or Yamaha would suit the preferences you've described.
    Good luck.
    While an amp with a more fulsome bass character will help a bit in this regard, a lot of that is going to come down to the speakers.

timind and Xpression Carbon like this.
  15. Xpression Carbon

There are definitely a lot of variables to consider. My speakers are 86db efficient at 8 ohms, I think that is how it's labeled on the Missions. Large(ish) stand mount. The 240i should power those with ease by the sound of it. I'm using an ancient Harman AVR110 at the moment and it actually sounds quite good paired up and it isn't a powerhouse. I think the 240i has a discreet headphone amp as well(?), or I may be mistaken.

Toneh likes this.
  16. NettleBed

There's a headphone jack, but I don't think a discreet headphone amp.

17. Toneh

Toneh Forum Resident

Sometimes the manufacturers sensitivity rating can be a little optimistic and then you'd probably also want to see one of the better review outfits do a thorough measured performance analysis to determine true ease of drive - or lack thereof. But you own them already... so... I guess that's really "academic" at this point right? Haha.

Regardless, your room size is manageable and the 240i measures well, exceeding it's rated output by a useful amount. Should be a nice pairing :righton:
    I'm quite interested in the bigger brother to your speakers - the 770 - to maybe replace my Linton's. So it'll be interesting to know how you enjoy this combo as a sonic match.

Assuming you go the Simaudio route of course.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  18. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I don’t get this. The Yamaha is a 51 pound MOSFET amp with a great power supply with gobs of headroom. I’m not saying there aren’t amps out there I might prefer, but it’s in a much higher class than the other amps you’re considering. The Missions would really benefit from its heft.

19. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I have to vote Yamaha because their amps have soulfully enriched my love of music. They've dramatically redefined my listening perspective. In my opinion, Yamaha packs a lot of value(s) into their brand.

20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Out of those, I pick the PrimaLuna Evo 100 :p
    OK it's tube and $2795 now, though Upscale Audio might well have some used units at your budget. I just have fond remembrances of that thing driving some Monitor Audio Silver 300s to really loud levels with Iron Maiden and Motorhead-a very strong 50W! Now out of the rest of the list, the Yamaha has their nice variable loudness? It has the most rated watts at 4Ω which is the important rating. Arcam has had some units measure awfully* though not all. Cambridge we auditioned two units in 2019 and one sounded better but sorry I don't remember which models. Moon, eh, how can you not love that name? Guaranteed to sound great playing Sun Ra. I don't know Audiolab. If you want flat bass none of these have any room EQ function, nor highpass crossover filters if you ever want to add a sub to fill in the low end below your Mission 700s.

*Search results for query: arcam Now, are measurements the be-all and end-all? No, but basic measured performance should not be sh!t either.

21. lazycat57

lazycat57 Forum Resident

I chose a Denon 1600 after listening to a few of your choices - including Yamaha and Rega.

It's 5 yrs old this weekend and I havent felt the need to look at/hear another amp. Plenty of power and funkiness.

Bananas&blow and Andy Saunders like this.
  22. robusa

robusa Forum Resident

I’m in the same boat right now, maybe slightly lower budget.

The new Rega Elex Mk4 seems pretty appealing.

My research on everything tells me that no one amp is going to give you everything you want.

My (negotiable) must haves are:
    MM phono input
    >70W
    3 analog inputs
    Great DAC
    Remote control

My love-to-haves are:
    Visually appealing (and preferably silver)
    Great onboard headphone amp
    Wi-Fi/Airplay 2
    1 digital input
    100W
    Sub out

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  23. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

It's great to hear that you have narrowed down your choices to a few integrated amplifiers that meet your needs for a detailed and rich sound with great bass response. As you consider your final decision, it may be helpful to look at specific reviews of each amplifier to get a better sense of their overall performance and strengths.

For example, a review of the Yamaha A-S2100 can be found on the What Hi-Fi website, which noted its high level of detail, expansive soundstage, and rich tonality, particularly with vinyl playback. The review also highlighted the amplifier's build quality and aesthetics.

Another review of the Arcam SA20 can be found on the SoundStage! Simplifi website, which praised its sound quality, particularly in the midrange and treble, as well as its flexibility and ease of use. The review also noted the amplifier's compact size.

A review of the Cambridge CXA61 can be found on the TechHive website, which noted its ability to produce a detailed and dynamic sound with good bass control, as well as its versatility with digital sources. The review also highlighted the amplifier's clean and modern design.

The Moon Ace received positive reviews on the Hi-Fi Choice website for its sound quality, particularly with acoustic and vocal recordings, as well as its streaming capabilities and connectivity options. The review also noted the amplifier's intuitive and user-friendly interface.

Finally, a review of the Audiolab Omnia can be found on the Stereophile website, which praised its sound quality and versatility, particularly with different types of music and source material. The review also highlighted the amplifier's feature set, including its built-in streaming capabilities and room correction software.

By looking at specific reviews of each amplifier from reputable sources, you can get a better sense of their unique characteristics and strengths. This can help you make a more informed decision based on your personal preferences and needs.

24. Naka9

Naka9 music first audiophile

I would look at Rega and Naim.
    If you consider buying used-mint, you can consider the Rega Elicit mk4 or the Naim Nait XS with the Flatcap XS.

I have a 2009 Naim Nac 122x pre, Flatcap 2x power supply and Nap 150x power amp and they are like new. The sound is incredible, I dare to say equal or better than everything new in the price range today! Amazing stuff indeed.
    14 years in nothing to superior built and well cared hi-fi.

25. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

To the OP,

We are lucky to have very nice amps to choose from in the new market.
    I'm happy with my new Sugden A21 i Signature (even not SE model), a bit higher price than your budget.
    Class A amp (this is my first Class A amp) is something else to discover.
    It's modest power is not obstacle using my low sensitivity P3 for everyday "normal" volume.

So sweet sounding, musical, not for every ears though.

Leao and Andy Saunders like this.