Looking for Opinions on selling my Bang & Olufsen MMC20CL

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HelpfulDad, Jul 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpfulDad

HelpfulDad Forum Resident Thread Starter

In college, 1982 to be exact, I drove from La Jolla to West Los Angeles on a rainy Saturday and bought a B&O 2402 with an MMC20CL cartridge. I really liked the look of the 'table and I'd heard a tangential tracking model so I was really thrilled to get this table.

When I plugged it in to my Onkyo A7 (legendary phono stage, BTW) I was more than surprised at how good it all sounded. I was replacing a Dual Belt Drive with a Stanton 681EEE that one of my idiot roommates snapped the stylus (yes that short stylus) off of.

It was a revelation and I had one of those "hearing old albums for the first time" experiences. I kept this table for many years and then, in 1996 my youngest daughter reached over and grabbed the tonearm, snapping the stylus. I was crushed, but fortunately, I was able to get another MMC20CL for less than $150 I think. First, I tried an MMC20EN, but it was terrible. When I plugged in the new one, again, like listening to some things like the first time.

Fast forward to present day and I was scrounging for a tangential model, preferably a Beogram 6000 but a 400x series would be fine, to do some hi res sampling to get my albums more conveniently playable. My thinking was for transcription, tangential tracking was going to give me the most accurate sound as I sampled the output. Using the LA Times classified newspaper, I stumbled across a B&O 400x table, again LA. I drove to LA and in this guy's garage was a broken 4002 model with a brand new MMC20CL. Evidently, he bought the cartridge, but immediately the 'table broke, so it sat for many years until he said, screw it, just sell it. Lucky me because when I put the MMC20CL under my hand lens for a close look, it was perfect, new. Tip was clear, cantilever as well and completely free of the black discoloration and the misshapen tip of a used one.

I put it on my current 'table and found that it was so new that it wasn't broken in. It had that new sort of "stiff" sound a new cartridge has. I finally have it broken in. Life got busy and vinyl listening has not been top of list. I did play the Pink Noise slot on the Cardas LP for around 40 hours and most recently have been listening more and it's now entering it's prime and sounds wonderful. It's really the best way to get a cartridge, only enough hours to break it in. Some of the transcriptions I've done at 192/24 and played back through a nice DAC are wonderful. FAR superior to the 44.1/16 versions of same content.

Here's the thing though. I need the convenience of a changer. Records really set the mood so much better, but it's not my favorite thing to have to wipe my hands off, get out of bed while she waits for me to change a record. So I picked up a Technics SL1950 with a pedestrian AT cartridge in it and I'm using it, but I miss the sound quality of that 20CL.

I have two choices before me and I'm looking for input from you all:
    1. Get a standard mount converter for the MMC20CL, mount it and use it in my SL-1950. My biggest reservation about this is that the B&O tonearms are all very low mass so I'm assuming the cartridge is engineered for that. Ergo, I may not get the same sweet, effortless, accurate sound from the cartridge in the higher mass tonearm. Another concern is the VTA and azimuth. Again, I don't know what it will be like in an arm not engineered for it.
    2. Sell the MMC20CL and replace it with a traditional mount cartridge for my SL1950. This raises the question: Do you think I can sell the MMC20CL for enough to buy a cartridge of commensurate quality?
    I really don't know how to go about shopping for a cartridge these days. Use to be, if you were willing to drive, you could find a dealer that would audition and sell just about any cartridge on the market. But now I'm not even sure how to go about it. Sound is such a subjective thing, I find it hard to believe I could find a review that would be enough to convince me.

So, any advice on:
    1. How much to sell the MMC20DL for and where? I see them on ebay for up to $1000 but not sure anyone has or would ever spend that much money. But, it's also FAR better than any $200 cartridge out there so that's why I'm asking
    2. How do you shop a cartridge and, for those of you who have heard this MMC20CL, any recommendations on what a similar quality cartridge would cost?
    Thanks in advance

2. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

2017, I scored a used Beogram 1900, MMC20CL & MMC4000 (4 channel matrix) carts (w/cart packaging) + original box for $424.99, shipped. I'm ashamed to say I haven't put it into service (it does work & styli look good as new). But there is plenty of opinion re: viability of the stylus suspension for > 40 years now. I'm certainly not as "springy" as I was in 1980.

SoundSmith is the US authority on B&O replacement carts.

New SoundSmith SMMC20CL $799.95
    One of our best selling models, the SMMC20CL features an advanced stylus design ~ a low mass "Nude Contact Line Diamond" that refines high frequencies at the inner grooves better than elliptical, and mounted to a solid Sapphire Cantilever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.