Looking for the next step in cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Yaniv Sheffer, May 18, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yaniv Sheffer

Yaniv Sheffer Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, on what brand/model of TT do you play the OM30 and OM40 ? Thanks

2. Yaniv Sheffer

That’s it. I had to do it , I purchased the OM40 stylus. It should arrive next Sunday. I’ll share my impressions once I get some listening time

doctor fuse likes this.
  3. Mac 'n cheese

Mac 'n cheese Active Member

Sorry, it sounded like I upgraded several carts to micro stylus', actually I upgraded one and bought another one that was already upgraded. Got all the carts I need now, until my old hands break the cantilevers off, which I know how to do, but I'm pretty careful now.

4. I use the OM 30 and 40 with a Ortofon Concorde cartridge on an Technics SL-1210MKII w/Jelco SA-750 arm. They are also used with a Ortofon OMP-10 P-mount cartridge on a Technics SL-10.

5. Yaniv Sheffer

First impressions from my Super OM40 are really good. More detail , better instruments separation and more depth. Sound details in lower volume is better. Sound stage is more defined . Thank you all for assisting and opening my eyes .

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Good move. It's easier and better than most options. Just slide on a new stylus and play records. The Ortofon Super OM30 is a great cartridge and hard to beat. Modern designs are not necessarily better than older designs ('70s - '80s) due to the expense that was put into design and mfg of the older designs in the heyday of vinyl. There are some great new cartridges, especially LOMC designs of course. @Hendertuckie nailed this one.
    -Bill

7. Yaniv Sheffer

After upgrading to Super OM40 , I would like to go a bit further, I have few mono records …..
    No seriously I’m thinking about diving a bit more into mono sound improvement that will not put a hole in my pocket.
    I found mainly the Ortofon 2M mono SE (expensive) , Ortofon OM D 25 M (low cost) , Audio Technical VM610 Mono (Mid cost) What would you suggest for the best Value for a Mono beginner? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.