Looking for used record store suggestions in Manhattan (lower East Side)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Solaris, May 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight Thread Starter

A friend of mine is gearing up for a trip in a couple of weeks and she mentioned something about wondering where some good record stores are in the lower East Side. What's your favorite?

Jason

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

LES? There isn't anything worthy down there, as far as I know.

For vinyl, hit Academy on 10th between 3rd and 4th, as well as their Brooklyn annex on North 6th Street a block and a half west of Bedford Avenue. Other Brooklyn goodies are EAT Records (Meserole Ave, 1.5 blocks east of Manhattan Av.) and Somethin' Else (5th Ave between 1st and 2nd Sts.) can sometimes turn up some good stuff, too, but they're a bit further out (in opposite directions).

For used CDs, the Academy store on 18th between 5th and 6th is tops, followed by the occasional goodie at Bleecker Records on Bleecker between 6th and 7th Aves. Then there's three stores on St. Marks (Mondo Kim's, Sounds, Joe's CDs) and one around the corner on 3rd Ave (Norman's Sound and Vision, in the basement) that occasionally have interesting stuff.

3. funhouse

funhouse Senior Member

There's a good place on Prince St. in Soho (can't remember the cross st.) called Rocks In the Head. Vinyl and CD's.

4. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

5. bresna

bresna Senior Member

If you're into jazz, you have to go to the Jazz Record Center. If you plan to go, check their hours... they have weird hours. I don't even think they're open on the weekend any more.

6. Russ

Russ Outlaw

I've only been to Bleeker once (Michaels recomendation), and found a whole bunch of used stuff (CD's). If you go there you should allocate some time, their method for displaying the used stuff is NOT user friendly.

7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

8. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

All great recommendations! I used to walk around the City all day visiting all of those record stores every time I had a business trip to NY (wonderful memories of great finds at the Jazz Record Store, Bleeker and Academy).

I wonder if the great record store in Teeneck (spelling?) New Jersey is still around. Several years ago, this place was hot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.