Looks like HMV in the UK may survive after all...

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sound of the Suburbs, Feb 3, 2019.

1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That mirrors my experience!

Much better selection that a few years ago too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    DrStroganoff likes this.
  2. catboy

catboy The wrinkled retainer

exactly my idea....surely the owners of record shops understand the fact that unless its a destination, whats the point, people will go online. My last visit to an HMV made me realise how old fashioned they are...like stepping back into the 80s.....plastic, tacky, glitzy lighting, pile-it-high-sell-it-cheap stock and nowhere to chill.... almost the exact opposite of how i like to shop for records, if the new owners want to clean up... make the stores into coffee shops/bars with iconic artwork/memorabilia on the walls, (not star wars door mats!) plants, craft beers, proper books, a REAL selection of vinyl, cool furniture, then i might hang out while the other half does her thing, and guess what i might just buy something...

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I thought Croydon was closing anyway, before HMV's latest wider troubles, because there's major demolition going on in Croydon to get rid of that old Whitgit Shopping Centre?

LivingForever likes this.
  4. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

My local HMV has survived. I've found some great music there since I first started going in about six months ago, having stopped going in HMVs a good few years ago, due to the decline in physical music product that was being stocked.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

The basement of the old HMV megastore on Oxford St was an oasis of calm in the West End - close those glass doors into the classical dept behind you, take a seat, skim their magazines and classical buyer's guides and just soak in the beautiful music. Whiled away many an hour in there and always came away with something. Sometimes I even paid for it. Joke.

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Absolutely, it was another world down there. I still miss it.

Isaac McHelicopter and steviebee like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

That's my local record shop closed then. Thanks to the staff at Merry Hill for the help over the many years that you have been there. Hope that you find something very soon. Looks like a train journey to browse records! Who would have thought that would ever come.

Etienne Hanratty and Pop_Zeus like this.
  8. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

So no longer a major music retailer in the capital; unbelievable! The good news is that three within a 30 mile radius of where I live have survived the cut, actually four if I count Fopp

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident

My one, Wimbledon, is marked for closure. Not that I went in there much. Maybe that was the problem

LivingForever likes this.
  10. Putrifiers II

Putrifiers II Forum Resident

Took the words right out of my mouth! Very glad Fopp in London is staying open - the staff in there are brilliant and the stock cheap and deep.

Thorpy likes this.
  11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

A few years ago, I had a HMV (Canada) store near my home and the manager (now retired) said his store was going to be converted into a Sunrise location. He warned me that prices for wax were going to be jacked up. He was right.

englishbob likes this.
  12. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Slight curveball in Glasgow with the Byres Road Fopp store closing and the Union Street Fopp store staying open, given that Union Street is 5-10 minutes from the HMV in Argyle Street. Byres Road is a small store and the rents in the area are high so maybe that's the reason but it's sad because Fopp had been in Byres Road for about 30 years. They were also the last music retailer standing on the street. End of an era.

D.B., bleachershane and hamicle like this.
  13. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

As far as I can tell HMV Manchester will remain open but HMV Trafford Centre will close, together with Fopp Manchester (which is very close to HMV Manchester).

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  14. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Lovely idea. But....business rates on Oxford St are huge. I doubt a revamp on those lines would be enough.

I visited Rough Trade East recently - exactly the kind of store you propose, coffee, meeting place, evening talks etc - but I noticed the large amount of DOL reissues in the jazz section alone. Very popular from what I saw with the younger customers. No used records either. Rare audiophile imports is a really great idea but in reality...? I doubt the number of 'high end' customers would be sufficient for West End business rates.
    Even Sister Ray had to downsize considerably in their move across the street.

A music destination would be nice tho. I'd be there almost every break I get!

johnnyyen likes this.
  15. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

The store in York survives which is good news for me as it does, currently, have a good stock of vinyl at competitive prices,

Richard

16. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

So glad my local HMV is to stay open,
    Sorry that any had to close.
    My local store in Southend on Sea here in essex has many loyal costumers myself included, the staff are always friendly and helpful.
    Let's hope that the new owner does increase vinyl stocks as he says he's a vinyl fan.

17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

The Oxford Street closure is a shock to be honest. I used to go there in the 80's, absolutely amazing shop.

My local (Maidstone) has survived, which I find amazing really given the circumstances, its quite a large premises. Whereas others within driving distance, such as Bluewater, Tunbridge Wells, Lakeside are closing.

Not been to Lakeside for years, but Bluewater gets a visit a few times a year. In that location in particular (which is a very large shopping centre, one of the biggest in the country, like Lakeside before it) it will mean there is absolutely nowhere onsite to buy music or films, which is a bit mind-blowing to be honest. Can only thing that the rent in these places is so large its no longer viable and this was a large factor in closure.

Floyd Crazy and coffeetime like this.
  18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Urgh that move across the street has absolutely killed the place for me. Its lost all of its original charm when it was Selectadisc.

ippudo, Man at C&A and alexpop like this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Ah that's not so bad. It seems indoor shopping centres are really falling apart generally these days.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  20. steviebee

God, yes. I used to love the old Sis. Could spend happy hours there.
    I vividly remember the shock when I first went in the new place.

I still go, of course :D
    And to the other place across and down. Can't recall the name - Reckless or Recommended Records? They're good for a browse.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cold n clinical the staffs a barrel of laughs.

22. alexpop

Reckless I prefer.

steviebee likes this.
  23. alexpop

FOPP’s West End branch has the best location.

24. steviebee

I've never been in a FOPP. Where tis?

25. alexpop

Tis?

Situated in central London /UK.
    It’s basically HMV branded FOPP but better stocked ie CDs:Vinyl:Books/dvds /Blu Rays etc