Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by syogusr, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syogusr

syogusr New Member Thread Starter

To be released as a two-disc set on May 25. This is only 6 months from the time it was released, does this seem like too short of a period of time? It lists for around $30, so I hope it goes on sale for $16-18 when it comes out!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm confused. This is the version that was out in the theatres, but I know he's just finished working on like a 4 hour version for DVD. Why would anyone not wait for THAT version? :confused:

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Jackson has done this from the first. For fans who can't wait they put out the theater version, then the expanded version later. It's a bit of double dipping, but they do give a break on the second set if you bought the first, and there's probably a lot of different extra special content on the extended version.

John K.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

6 months isn't to strange anymore. Where is your info from? Officially they aren't announcing a date until March 8th. I was expecting this to come out around the end of summer like the last two. I'm sure it'll be around $15-$17 the first week on sale.

Cause some of us want both the theatrical version & the extended cut. I know I have both versions of the other two films.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

I guess it could be seen as double dipping, but they do tell everyone about it ahead of time so they can plan their purchases accordingly. Lots of different extras on the extended cut volumes.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

ALL of the content should be different - they've been very careful not to duplicate material between the two releases.

As for why someone would get the two-DVD version instead of the four-disc one, some people don't care about all the extras or the longer cut. They're happy with the "regular" version. Plus, some people would rather have the theatrical version of the film. I've preferred the first two EEs, but some folks like the shorter renditions better. I think extended versions of films tend to be a crap shoot to a degree: some are superior (like "The Abyss"), some are about the same ("T2"), and some are worse ("Amadeus")...

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I would love to see the extended 4 hour version of Return Of The King.

I felt too much was left on the floor with the theatrical release.

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I would not want the 4 hrs unless it has 200 percent more epic battles and breathtaking vistas :D

9. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Hopefully we will see the extended version in the theaters before the dvd releases. The extended versions especially 'The Two Towers' filled out the story.
    It is great having the extended versions available on dvd but it was great to see them on the big screen. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three extended versions released again like New Line did before the release of 'The Return of the King'.

10. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

There are people out there who will buy both versions. The theatrical version will also have exclusive extras (theatrical trailers, promotional materials, etc.) that won't be included on the 4 DVD boxed set.

I'm going to wait for the extended edition. In my opinion, the extended versions of "Fellowship" and "The Two Towers" are superior to their theatrical counterparts. I'm hoping the same holds true for "Return of the King".

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I had read a Peter Jackson interview where he says he's planning on an extra 55 min for the extended version. That would put it over 4.5 hours total.

I'll probably end up with both versions. Mainly because my daughter loves the films and will be impatient for the dvd.

12. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

the extended version is going to be 4 hours and 10 minutes long. The digital bits and HTF have reported on this.

13. James RD

James RD Senior Member

Rent the first, buy the second. :)

14. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Exactly, the perfect solution to those who are merely "impatient" for a DVD of the film.

Peter Jackson has said that the theatrical are the "director's cut," or the "real" version, or however you want to think of it. For most people, the 2-disc DVD is perfect. And no, it's not too short a time since the theatrical run- that's how most new releases are handled nowadays.

The 4-disc sets are for hardcore fans, especially those who are into the books and just want to see more of the story unfold on the screen. And also for film-buffs are interested in the details of the making of, because the docs on theses extended editions are very, very, very extensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.