Lorde - "Solar Power" New album 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlj1010, Jun 10, 2021.

1. I’m just wondering why she went bottomless, since most women go topless when cavorting in the sun half naked.

Anyway: yeah, I can hear how this kind of sounds a bit like “Loaded” by Primal Scream, at least in the chorus. Not bad for what it is.

2. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

yes they can show a part of their body. But in this case the cover is clearly meant to be sexual and provocative

Mackaveli and Ryan Lux like this.
  3. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

That's one interpretation, and you're entitled to it. It might be more accurate for people to say "I have a sexual response and provocative interpretation of this image of this artist," and therefore take full responsibility for their own feelings and responses to things, rather than putting that onus on the artist by specifying the intent of the image's theme and the goals of the artist with saying things like "Lorde is being sexual on her cover".

Mostly, I just hope people don't denigrate her for this cover based on their interpretations of it. The female body is not inherently more sexual than the male body. Lots of examples of male artists in various states of undress or revealing costuming who are creating themes other than sex, and that's what I think Lorde is doing here. That's my interpretation. And I'm not saying you're denigrating her at all. I'm just talking in general, I'm sure some people will knock her for wearing a swimsuit on a cover.

Ultimately it's a great conversation to have, another reason I think the cover art and song are both excellent. Good art causes conversation.

4. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

Unfortunately, this thread failed in that regard as early as page one

5. khashoggi

khashoggi Forum Resident

I like it, and while it might not be her greatest single, it's a good way to show people what Lorde sounds like in 2021 (almost 4 years after her last release). Definitely track 1 on the album and probably works better that way than on its own.

possumdude and walkonthewildside like this.
  6. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

She "had" to? No she didn't - she could've just put out a blank cover and this would still be talked about as the return of Lorde. She used that photo just because she wanted to, and so what? Again, most talk I've seen on the internet about this is about the music (and not all of it positive) - if she felt like getting her **** out on the cover was a necessary way getting it talked about then that ploy has kinda failed...well, except here.

edit - you can't say a*se here?!But you can post a photo of Lorde's a*se?! Oh dear.

Man at C&A, possumdude and khashoggi like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

I like that her body hides the white light, but uses yellow for the album title. :cool::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

This is how you disagree with someone without pointing fingers and bringing identity politics into it. Respect.

goodiesguy and croquetlawns like this.
  9. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

You took every opportunity to contribute to that discussion. If the music was so important, why not move the conversation in that direction?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  10. walkonthewildside

walkonthewildside Forum Resident

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

:wave::wave:
    Can we pulllllllese start talking aboutt the music??!! :wave:

walkonthewildside likes this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Why does Mr Lahey have a knife, and where is Julian’s cocktail?

walkonthewildside and possumdude like this.
  13. possumdude

possumdude "Spies Like Us" Aficionado

I've always seen the dude on the right as Ross from Friends with a fake mustache :laugh:

goodiesguy and walkonthewildside like this.
  14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Bottomless? She's wearing a thong, is she not? Sure, it's practically like being bottomless, but I don't think there's any actual nudity on display.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Damn fashionistas! What about the music?

BeatleJWOL and croquetlawns like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good single, the video and cover are good too.

As Nigel Tufnell memorably put it, "What's wrong with being sexy?"

17. walkonthewildside

I wonder if the whole record will be very acoustic, almost 2021-style-Everly Brothers harmony kinda stuff?

18. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I like this song but I kind of don't get the whole Jack Antonoff thing. He has a definite 'sound' and the similarity with some of his other projects is very noticeable. I guess what I don't get is why the artists would think that's a good thing.

Lanark and walkonthewildside like this.
  19. walkonthewildside

Possibly because Antonoff is like 9 times out of 10, going to get the songs to #1. He has that magic touch, and the record buying public dig it. I know i do, in small doses.

vamborules likes this.
  20. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

clearly the song is so exciting that it's being eclipsed by the cover art :D

WhatDoIKnow and Ryan Lux like this.
  21. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

how many number ones did Antonoff have? I don't see that many, not many top 10's either
    but I do think they get him involved because he writes some melody hooks for songs, that would be my guess

22. walkonthewildside

It isn't about charting positions now. Streaming figures and Taylor Swift/Jack Antonoff stuff has billions of streams and views.

23. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

don't charts use that same information and numbers now? I'm pretty sure they do

24. walkonthewildside

Yes but it's about the numbers and money really. Tons of songs get billions of streams but don't hit number one. See Taylor Swift's latest two albums...

25. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

maybe, I don't know that much about exact criteria and calculation of chart positions now. But I think even songs that don't chart well might get a lot of streams if they're from big name artists, where people know the artists and want to hear and sample their new material. But closer to topic, for example "Royals" from Lorde did chart very high

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021