Los Angeles area record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jamesc, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

How do record stores in L.A. County pay those high rents cept in crappy areas?

maui jim likes this.
  2. It’s been a long time since I sold anything to them but they were always very fair.

3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Freakbeat pays a lot. I had the nugs to ask once and I got the nod up. Freakbeat is pretty fair in trade, don't know about cash, probably picky there.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The one LA area store I have never been to. But I have seen a friend's purchased stack 'o wax, and it looked to me to be a poor value deal for what he spent and the distant drive. Not encouraging.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I heard, but not confirmed that Rockaway is by appointment only now, and they expect you to lay down some bills for the privilege of visiting. I think they moved to online stores exclusively where they could demand more for each record.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Amoeba is not in DTLA, and the OP did not ask about DTLA at all either. But yes, traffic can be a nightmare in that area and many others now that I think about it.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Rhino Records, formerly in Claremont, has recently moved farther east to their new location in Montclair (lower rent).

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm a bit of a grump, because I combed the LA bins and bought so many used records, traded some in for credit to buy nicer ones, grabbed audiophile, test pressings, box sets, colored vinyl, imports, picture discs, bootlegs, originals, and white label promos. And I did this for more than 20 years on a tight budget. So prices were pretty low. So I can rarely find anything in the record store bins that is nicer and unique enough, or low priced enough. I get bored, and or priced out.

So while I am a grump about today's used records, I at least have three walls four and five rows high of really cool stuff, things that are fun to look at as well as things to play and hear. The fun of the search is over for me. But I do grab good deals on ebay and Discogs. I've bought (I think) six albums in the last 6 months online, all arrived in M or MN condition as advertised, and got cool things to play and behold.

Oh, I am not driving further east for Rhino. Maybe if I was going out there anyway?

jamesmaya likes this.
  9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Yeah, good deals are few and far between in bricks & mortar stores. I found a cool record at Rhino yesterday (a 1968 Takoma sampler) but if you factor in the cost of gas, time, etc., I might have considered paying 2 or 3 times as much for that same record online.