Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Wow, I forgot about that show! I used to watch it.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Oh my, yes, Mr Terrific was the greatest. I loved that show as a kid. I watched Captain Nice too, but I didn’t like it as much. I’d imagine those shows sort of canceled each other out.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes...the good old days...; )

4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

After reading Jack Sheldon’s obit, I’ve become kind of fascinated by Run Buddy Run. Seems like a pretty decent show.

5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I have most of them from film and its kind of funny, in a corny sort of way. Bruce Gordon is great, kind of doing a parody of his Frank Nitti character from The Untouchables. It was released in Germany on DVD but no English soundtrack unfortunately.

Interesting thing about the show is that after its cancellation was announced, the ratings began to improve (back then, networks aired all of the produced episodes even after a show was cancelled), and CBS changed their minds but all of the sets had been struck so they couldn't do it.

Steve Litos and EddieMann like this.
  6. Spiny Norman

Spiny Norman Forum Resident

The grey market seems to have most of them. Probably illegal, and I'm not in favour of people making money off of this, but it seems most episodes can be either bought or downloaded for free.

Yeah, "Renn, Buddy, renn!" sadly seems to be without the original audio.

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently something similar happened with both Batman and F Troop.

8. James Slattery

The quality on the German episodes is good and in color. I wonder if there is a way to dub the English dialogue over the picture? The problem is the dreaded PAL speedup. Anyone know of a way that I could compensate for that by either slowing down the video or speeding up the audio?

I just checked and found an episode of Pistols n Petticoats that someone posted where someone did just that, dubbing the English audio onto the color print from Germany.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. Spiny Norman

If it were just the speed, it wouldn't be a problem. It's the fact that the slightest difference will again throw everything off sync. That can be the remains of a commercial break or any other cut that was made. It's very rare that the cuts are so completely identical that you can simply set the speed to 0.96.

In the end, it's probably easiest to do it all by ear, by opening both tracks in audacity and matching the English to the German (starting with a speed-up).

10. James Slattery

Not familiar with audacity. Is it an easy program to use? I noticed that my Mini Disc player has pitch control so I was wondering if I transferred the audio over to a disc, if I could then speed it up that way. Not sure if my DAT player has it.

11. Spiny Norman

It's a creative idea, the pitch, but it has to be super accurate, it has to be done on a computer. Even a quarter of a second delay will look weird when people talk or doors are shut and that will spoil the viewing.

How hard it is depends a bit on how computer oriented you are when it comes to audio and video. You need to put the video on your hard drive, and afterwards you probably want to create a new DVD.

12. Spiny Norman

PS See also the private conversation (no use flooding this thread with off-topic technical instructions).

13. JozefK

1950. Lenny Bruce and Buddy Hackett starred in a lost NBC sitcom revolving around a candy store. Writers Worth and Baer (as well as one of the actors, Arne Sultan) later wrote for Get Smart. This show is so lost it's not even listed on IMDb.

[​IMG]

Steve Litos and Simon A like this.
  14. Spiny Norman

OK, but this is some publicity in advance. Did it actually appear on the programming? Are there any newspaper schedules?

It doesn't seem to be in any of the books that list pilots. Could go either way. There is stuff that no-one has ever heard of; but usually that's completely unaired pilots.

And some things are announced only to never appear. I'm still waiting for the sequel to the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Conspiracy".

15. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

According to the book "Dr. Feelgood" by Richard Lertzman and William Birnes, Cummings was a patient of the infamous Dr. Max Jacobson who injected JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Eddie Fisher and a lot of other celebs/politicos/athletes with his potent mixtures containing liquid meth. According to the book Cummings had been taking these "vitamin shots" for about 10 years by the time "My Living Doll" went into production and Cummings became more and more erratic and confrontational, upset with Newmar getting more and more camera time than him. Supposedly he went to confront Chertok and to his surprise Smilin' Jim Aubrey, head of production for CBS, was waiting in the room with Chertok. Aubrey told Cummings not only was he fired but Aubrey was going to spread the word that he was a druggie so he'd never work in Hollywood again. And except for a handful of guest roles over the next 15 years, he never did.

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The same thing happened with Batman. If I remember correctly, ABC cancelled the series and then NBC was going to pick it up. It didn't happen because the sets had already been destroyed.

Steve Litos likes this.
  17. JozefK

1972-11-07 Two.Hour.Afternoon.Block : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This is one of the prizes of my collection... a rare two-hour afternoon block from Nov 7, 1972 (Election Day) on Washington's WRC-TV with original commercials, in excellent condition.

The block party starts with an uber-rare episode of the soap opera Somerset, a 30 minute spin off of Another World. This is total cheese, awful over the top acting with a terrible organ soundtrack... great fun! This episode features the appearance of "Jingles the Clown", a crazy clown that torments and poisons ANDREA. It also features Lois Kibbee as the EMILY MOORE MATSON, the family matriarch (who is also remembered as Ted Knight's stuffy wife Margaret Dumont in Caddyshack), Jay Gregory as CARTER MATSON, Dark Shadow's veteran actor Christopher Pennock as DANA MOORE, Harriet Hall as ANDREA MOORE, Ernest Thompson as TONY COOPER #2, Jordan Charney as SAM LUCAS, Paul Sparer as REX COOPER and the killer clown "JINGLES'! I'm not aware of any other complete, episodes of this series in the wild, especially at this quality level.​

I believe Ted Danson put in time on this show, though he's not in this episode. I didn't know organs were still being used on soaps as late 1972 -- when did that practice stop?

Features a chip commercial w/Edward Herrmann. Who would have predicted from this ad he'd reach such heights later? :laugh:

The next 90 minutes consists of a complete episode of the Mike Douglas show with co-host Wayne Newton, Dorothy Lamour, Bobby Vinton, Craig Claiborne & Virginia Lee, Dave Barry, Joe Harnell & the Band. Mike opens the show the show with David Gates' classic tune "If" followed by Wayne's rendition of Glen Campbell's "Gently on my Mind". Dorothy discusses her early career, the "Road to" movies with Bing Crosby and Bob Hope and singing with Rudy Vallee. Next up is comedian and actor Dave Barry for his stand-up routine and interview. Bobby Vinton performs his tune "Every Day of My Life", discusses the highs and lows of singers and wraps up with a tribute to the soldiers in Viet Nam with his rousing hit "Mr. Lonely". Mike then welcomes former New York Times food editor Craig Claiborne and Chinese chef Virginia Lee to discuss their latest book, "The Chinese Cookbook", as well as prepare a few dishes live. Wayne closes out the show with his latest hit "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast" and is joined by Mike for a wrap-up rendition of "Bill Bailey".

The last 6 minutes is from a local WRC newscast discussing the local and national election results. Features footage of long-time Washington DC newsman Jim Vance (who is still pull anchor duty at WRC) and Glenn Rinker.

If the content of the shows isn't enough, the commercials will knock your socks off!​

18. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Thank you for this!
    Jim Vance died in 2017. I wasn't sure if you were saying that he is still on the air today, but he was still anchoring until 2017, until he passed away from lung cancer.

19. JozefK

I copied the indented text from the link.

I actually wondered if that section would be a problem, but didn't bother cutting it.

JeffreyB likes this.
  20. JozefK

Until just a few moments ago, I'd always presumed that Gore Vidal's two legendary live TV plays of the '50s, The Death of Billy the Kid (filmed as The Left Handed Gun, with Paul Newman repeating his television role) and Visit To A Small Planet (reworked broadly into a Jerry Lewis vehicle) were both lost.

However this site:
    GORE VIDAL’S TELEPLAYS
    claims both productions exist.

That site also claims Vidal admitted to personally owning 16mm prints of both programs, which is curious as I specifically recall him being on a TV talk show and claiming somewhat pompously that the original TV version of Visit did not exist.

Gore Vidal goes over the script of Visit To A Small Planet with star Cyril Ritchard (1955).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PADYBU and Steve Litos like this.
  21. JozefK

2010:

Julie Newmar's Favorite Role May Be Lost to History

I also did a series that I was very fond of called My Living Doll [which ran on CBS from 1964-1965]. I played a character named Rhoda the Robot. The show was in black and white and it was just before Batman and Star Trek. It was a tour de force for me, and probably the most important work that I’ve done. I still can’t find all of the shows. We did 26, I think it was, and we’ve found about 12 of them. I’d love to see the rest of those shows, and I know they’re in someone’s garage somewhere. That was a wonderful, wonderful show and it was probably my best work.​

Steve Litos likes this.
  22. JozefK

Evel Knievel recites poetry on The Joey Bishop Show (1969)

23. JozefK

24. James Slattery

There are many Philcos at University of Wisconsin.

25. Spiny Norman

Yes, indeed, including this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.