Lou Reed's New York appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeston

Leeston Forum Resident

One of all time favourites, just love the minimalistic garage sound and his lyrics were excellent, unique album.

stef1205 and DTK like this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

from a new youtube account called 'lou reed archive' .....i like the looks of this..... ill take a steady stream of stuff on youtube!

rnranimal likes this.
  3. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

I devoured New York back in the day, liked (and was thoroughly spooked by) pieces of Magic & Loss - but Songs for Drella is the one that moves me today and that I return to most.

Marble Index and DTK like this.
  4. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Thanks everyone who participated in this thread and enlightened me to look at this album as a book I've leafed through a few times but never really read cover to cover. I'm doing that right now; this rediscovery process always a main reason I love about SHTV. But before I settle in for multiple listenings, I have a somewhat stupid question about the cover. That looks like Lou on the left and the right. Which one is him and . . . am I imagining this? Am I crazy, blind or just dumb? Thanks for your kind answers. I'm a sensitive soul.

P.S. @RayS I have to say I tend to think the references "Sam" and "steel mill" are coincidences, but it would great if your theory was correct. (Also, I'd go back to college to take your mini-courses!)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    RayS likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's all Lou! You're totally sane.

Zack likes this.
  6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Phew!

7. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Woke up today with this entire album stuck in my head. Halloween Parade could be about Coronavirus decimating NYC. Busload of Faith still sounds relevant. "Bring us your tired, your poor, we'll piss on 'em, that's what the Statue of Bigotry says" from Dirty Blvd could be about immigrant children in cages. Amazing how something so "topical" in 1989 can still sound so fresh and relevant 31 years after it's release.

8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

First album that really turned me onto Lou. I saw three shows on that tour.....the best being the Warner Theatre in DC. Second row, left side. Great seats. I also saw him two nights earlier at the Myerhoff in Baltimore and later in the summer at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia Maryland. Lou was complaining about the length of the tour by that time.

9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Best CD version of this release? Hows the 96/24 download?

10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The original 1989 Sire release is just fine.

Callahan and Carlox like this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

[​IMG]
    Lou Reed ‎– New York
    Label: Sire ‎– 9 25829-2
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: Jan 1989

This was the last Lou Reed album I really appreciated and I appreciate this almost as much as anything he issued under his name

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.