Loud Albums You Wish You Could Like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Runicen, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I second the nomination for Clockwork Angels. It just sounds like a bunch of noise.

SurrealCereal likes this.
  2. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Get them on Vinyl

Nielsoe likes this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The Pursuit Of Happiness-Love Junk. Painfully loud, but the songs are so good.

violetvinyl likes this.
  5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

As much as I love Megadeth’s “Dystopia”, it bothers me to listen to sometimes due to the production. “Thirteen” and “Super Collider” had the same issues which is why I only listen to the 24 bit versions of those since they sound much better. I wish the same treatment would be given to “Dystopia”.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  6. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Ojos de Brujo - Techari CD has a DR of 7 but sounds much worse than that to me. A shame because it's a wonderful flamenco-rock fusion album that's crying out for great dynamics.

7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

QOTSA- Villains CD

8. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

Of course there are many many new albums from the last 20 years or so. I'd describe the effect of loud compressed music as suffocating, the aural equivalent of humid (don't know if that makes sense or indeed if others have used the same words to describe it). For example, with Aimee Mann's Bachelor No.2 I just can't get to the end of the song without feeling nauseous. Oh and then next on my A-Z there's Amy Winehouse Back to Black CD, again same effect.

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I'm re-ripping my CD collection to FLAC and ALAC to replace the old mp3 rips. There's a lot of stuff I've skipped over, and my Paul Weller CDs are part of the bunch I've skipped. I don't like them enough to go searching for better releases, but I did go out of my way to get better sounding versions of a couple of The Style Council CDs. I love Our Favourite Shop and Café Bleu. Fortunately, The Jam CDs I have aren't too bad, although Sound Effects and Setting Sons could stand replacement.

Preston likes this.
  10. luckybaer

Every Queens of the Stone Age CD I own is horribly loud and compressed. It is too bad, because I love their music. Suitable as background music on speakers only. Listening on headphones would drive me batty.

I have 3 Iron Maiden albums that are done nicely - probably could be a bit fuller, but I'll take light and airy over loud and compressed any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Found a really, REALLY old release of Back In Black that I enjoy (also releases of Highway to Hell and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap). I'll need to round out my collection if I can find decent releases.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. luckybaer

Snakes and Arrows is total trash, too.

12. luckybaer

Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik are pretty good - especially the Mobile Fidelity release of Mother's Milk (UDCD 683). The Warner Bros. 1991 (266812) release of Blood Sugar Sex Magik is the one I have, and I can listen to it with no problems - even with DT880s. :) Everything else I have is horrible, although the HD Tracks versions of Californication and Stadium Arcadium, in spite of looking bad numerically from a DR and Replay Gain perspective, are oddly OK for me. Original CD releases? Not so much!

13. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The last 5-6 Jeff Beck and Robert Plant records. The brickwalling borders on criminal.

Vaughan and sunking101 like this.
  14. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

I really like Eyes Open by Snow Patrol. A shame it’s sonic mush. Bought the double LP but you guessed it, cut from the CD master.

15. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Most new releases and remasters suffer from this terrible affliction.
    Off the top of my head I'll nominate:

Bowie - Reality
    Noel Gallagher Who Built The Moon

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Nichole Nordeman's Every Mile Mattered CD sounds much more distorted than her other stuff although they are all loud and compressed.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I do not consider this album a loudness war victim at all and the CD was mastered in the 1980s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.