Love, Death & Robots - Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Mar 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone else catch this really quirky new series? It's a collection of 18 unrelated episodes, short films really, lasting between 6 - 17 mins each. Oh, and the other thing is that it's all animated in very different styles.

I burned through all 18 in one sitting. It was kind of addictive because there was no fat, no filler padding out episodes. Of the 18, I'd say there were only 3 that didn't work for me.

Lots of topics covered in a scifi-ish/fantasy context, but note, the content can be rather graphic and sexual in nature at times.

All in all, really liked the off-the-wall nature of it and some of the animation was spectacular.

PapaMuerte likes this.
  2. APH

APH Forum Resident

Watched episode one last night. Not bad, it was the same as a story I wrote when I was at school, but it had an extra twist I didn't include. Twenty minutes was about right for the runtime.
    The sex and violence are very like Heavy Metal / Metal Hurlant comic.
    Started the second episode but the sweary robots didn't amuse me, so I turned it off. I might try number three.

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Watching this series now. Some good episodes, some not so good. Some episodes are basically extended video game trailers, with uncanny valley effects, voyeuristic imagery, and cliché plots. But the episodes are short enough to not outstay their welcome too much.

--Geoff

Vidiot and apesfan like this.
  4. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Episode one for you isn't going to episode one for everybody. Netflix is releasing this in differing running orders tailored to your previous views. Not sure what algorithm they're using, but someone somewhere is front-loading the episodes they think you'll like the most first. Maybe they think the confusion will make for more internet discussion traffic?

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sounds interesting. I was just thinking the other day how it would be nice if there were a modern animated features like "Heavy Metal" or "Fire & Ice". I'm not into anime. I'll check this out sometime.

6. Lucifigus

Lucifigus Forum Resident

I watched this over two nights on a recommendation. I loved it! I do like Science Fiction short stories, and this was similar. Some episodes you may not like, but the investment is short. I do appreciate that Netflix has provided an opportunity for these kinds of film makers to present their material, and I look forward to more like it.

EricSwan and PapaMuerte like this.
  7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I've watched them all. Whilst I can appreciate the industry and skill in making the shorts, I just wish they had been, you know.....better. For the most part I found them underwritten (often with fairly obvious 'twists'), poorly voice-acted, and terribly smug and self-congratulatory - ooh, we're on Netflix, we can have lots of swearing and sex scenes!

(If you are going to pepper a script with sex and profanity, at least have it in there for a valid reason.)

I'm kinda surprised David Fincher put his name to this.

Veltri likes this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It seems like Fincher just gave up after Benjamin Button. No vision at all. He became a standard 1A Hollywood movie and tv director

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Watched 8. Almost every one was pretty dull with loads of unsexy sex and numbing gore.. Welcome back Heavy Metal.

10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

While overall I enjoyed most of the shorts, I generally agree with your assessment. So few of these feel like a finished thought, so they aren’t very satisfying from a narrative standpoint, and the quality of the animation is variable. The uncanny valley stuff is just a huge no for me.

The most interesting animation to me was The Witness, which seemed to be a mix of rotoscoping and something else (maybe CG), but whatever the case its visual style grabbed me. Without a fuller story, the explicit nudity was completely gratuitous, though, and the ending was mildly annoying. Felt like the first act of a longer story. That’s the problem with several of these: they end just when they start picking up momentum.

So I would recommend but with reservations.

11. APH

APH Forum Resident

I'm not hugely into anime. I've only jsut started watching Cowboy Bebop, put it that way.
    But Bebop is a million times better than Love death and Robots.

12. APH

APH Forum Resident

How bizarre. Episode one for me was about battling robots in an arena. They either got my taste badly wrong, or else the rest are even worse.

Andrew J likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Watched an epi. Fun.

14. agentalbert

Watched ep 1 "Three Robots" and loved it. I'll definitely keep watching!

15. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I don't get it either. How anyone can enjoy this is beyond me. Smug, unfunny, and boring.

16. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

It was like a blast from the past, as if they made a sequel to Heavy Metal. Loved Heavy Metal and enjoyed this too. Different from the usual releases they churn out each week.

agentalbert likes this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Watched it all and enjoyed 90% of it. I think the salesmen in the desert and the intergalactic artist(? been a while) where the weakest two for me.

If you liked that then watch Sturgill Simpson's Sound & Fury.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  18. agentalbert

I really hope another season is coming.

Bruce Racket and PapaMuerte like this.
  19. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

Binged the whole season in one day!
    Great show, can't wait for season 2... original concept with dark premise and great animation!
    Every episode is different, loved it a lot!

agentalbert and Bruce Racket like this.
  20. agentalbert

I don't have Netflix right now, but saw that season 2 was out. :righton:

21. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Watched season 2 the other day.
    A bit disappointing overall I think.
    Best episode for me was 'Snow in the Desert'.

PapaMuerte likes this.
  22. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

Watched season 2 yesterday, doesn't come close to the first one.
    Animation was not bad, but storyline sucked big time...worth a watch anyway!

23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I kept waiting for some `Big Reveal' in the `giant on the beach' episode
    but it never arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.