Love - Forever Changes: 2001 reissue query re track 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nlgbbbblth, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member Thread Starter

I only got round to hearing Love's Forever Changes in 2001 when I bought the Elektra/Rhino reissue (CAT 8122-73537-2).

My query relates to track 9 'The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This'.

On my CD at around 2:56 into the track, the final seconds are punctuated by a kind of distorted/start stop instrumental blast which lasts 6/7 seconds.

Not sure whether it is meant to sound like this or is my copy defective.
    It is hard to describe eloquently.

It may seem a silly question but I haven't heard the album on any other format to compare.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yep that was intentional

3. Inscape

Inscape New Member

The sound is indeed there on the original LP, as well as on the two CD versions that I have heard. I believe that part of the original purpose was to freak out the listener by making him/her imagine that his/her turntable had suddenly gone berserk.

4. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

There's also a cracked speaker sound somewhere on that album. Can't remember which song, last song? I'll have to go back and re-listen. And on 'The Last Wall Of The Castle' cd (outtakes of 1st 3 LPs) Arthur says,"I've got a really groovy idea, best idea of the day" and I believe he's referring to one of those effects.

5. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

It's supposed to freak you out, as it did me the 1st time I heard it decades ago!

7. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

And it's recreated perfectly on the live CD/DVD that came out a couple of years ago. :love:

8. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Yeah, when I first heard the orchestral tape chop-up, I thought something had to be wrong. But I sure remembered it.

The last song has some unpleasant distortion on Arthur's voice when he sings "whoa whoa whoa whoa" during the bridge, as the reverb cranks up. Unlike the other effect, it doesn't sound intentional to me.

It's on both the stereo and mono mix.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Echo chamber overload... If it's both on the stereo AND the dedicated mono mix it's intentional. You sure the mono isn't part fold down? Most of the DOORS' Strange Days mono is a fold down and that's right around the same time...

10. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I wasnt aware of any fold down on Strange day's except When the music's over and I own the record! Sorry for the thread crap.

11. Steve Hoffman

The only dedicated mono mixes on STRANGE DAYS are Unhappy Girl and the title track. Everything else is a clever fold down of the stereo, even Love Me Two Times...

12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Interesting. How much of the mono Waiting for the Sun is a fold down?

13. Steve Hoffman

I don't know, I never studied that album. We were going to do a stereo/mono STRANGE DAYS gold CD like the MoFi "Gears" disc but it seemed pointless when I discovered the fold-downs.. Amazing what a little EQ and compression can do.

I know that their are several unique non lp mixes of the third album...WE COULD BE SO GOOD TOGETHER, HELLO I LOVE YOU, etc..

14. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

All of it except Wintertime love which has the alternate vocal track (ala the original Botnick cd release).

15. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I considered asking for a new CD, as the one I bought was oviously defect... :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.