LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 22, 2017.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I don't have a TT nor have any interest...so, I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from...

supermd, Doggiedogma and Jimmy B. like this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Hardbound book too included....? Still not sold?

:pineapple:

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

again, thanks my friend...

lemonade kid likes this.
  5. Michael

nope...I have every incarnation of this album...even the original Mono pressing of which I just have it along with a few hundred albums that are left over from my 10,000+ LPs that i sold off years ago...

Doggiedogma and audiomixer like this.
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Is the alternate mix the one that popped up on the 2CD deluxe about 10 years ago or is this something new?

monkboughtlunch and PsychGuy like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pretty good starter kit.

8. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Is this the thing Steve has been working on?

Tuco likes this.
  9. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yeah, I'm in again or (andmoreagain indeed.) :thumbsup:

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

tedhead, Schmeig and raimiz1991inc like this.
  11. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

lemonade kid, audiomixer and Kevin55 like this.
  12. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

That's what I'm curious about as well. The multitracks (as of at least a few years ago were MIA). So I wonder if the alternate mix is the same one that Steve mastered from the cassette source on the deluxe edition that came out a few years ago. I really like the alternate mix.

It would be cool if Botnick has found the multis since then and put out a new remix in this set. But I would guess that it's the same alternate mix since the verbiage above doesn't mention that it's "new."

AlienRendel and Tuco like this.
  13. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That would be something.

14. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

The UK price for 4 CDs, a DVD and vinyl is pretty good in my opinion. Compare for example with the recent Roxy Music box!
    It's one of my favourite albums of all time and there are enough extras there to tempt me including a mono mix which I haven't heard before.
    I'm in!

Kevin55 likes this.
  15. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

As much as I love Forever Changes, this is somewhat of an overkill. I know that the vaults are empty, the mono is a fold down, the master tapes are missing, and therefore we only get two completely unreleased backing tracks. The alternate mix is the one previously released. But from my perspective this could have been done differently by adding some of Bryan Maclean demos from 1966/67 in order to create a fuller picture of where the band was at the time. Yes, had they been able to track down the long lost soundboard tape from the Whiskey in 1968, things would have been even more different. I do hope that the powers that be delete Arthur Lee’s comments (“That solo is really outta sight…”) after Your mind and we belong together since it’s not on the original single, but a “fun” add on after the tracking sessions of the same track. Having said that, I would love to see this box in a vinyl set, the alternative mix deserves a vinyl release.

But I will of course buy this and place it prominently in the book shelf and hope that Notorious Byrd Brothers receives the same treatment.

zobalob, WilliamWes, izgoblin and 3 others like this.
  16. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Hmmm, a six disc set where 5 of the discs have pretty much the same content. Fun if you like spot-the-difference I suppose.

Also not sure I need another disc with those backing tracks and session highlights that I skip on the other two CDs I already have. The one alt version I really like is the abrupt ending House Is Not a Motel that I grew up with, and that doesn't appear to be there.

Still, £42 isn't a bad price I guess.

zobalob likes this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

What's gonna be on the DVD? The promo only mentions the 'Your Mind And We Belong Togther' video (which is the only known contemporary footage of the group) but surely that can't be it? That would be an incredible waste of DVD real estate if so. Prob won't be the Love Story doc from 2007 but perhaps some kind of FC-centric doc could feature?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Bit annoyed by this - since I own most of the content and don't want the LP.....

At least the price isn't Roxy level

arthurprecarious likes this.
  19. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Someone posted more details in the 50th celebration thread Lemonade Kid started last year (LoVE's Forever Changes 50th anniversary celebration. Music, book... ) .

It's a 24/96 version of the album, so presumably the same new Botnick master of the album is on CD1, the DVD and the vinyl in the set.

Add in the fact that the mix differences between stereo and mono are by most accounts not that significant, the alt mix is (I guess) the Hoffman one from the 2008 2CD set, and the other tracks are mostly lifted from that set too, and there's not much 'new' here.

As I'd mentioned in the other thread I'd like the abrupt-ending House is Not a Motel included, particularly as this is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the UK release, and many of us in the UK heard that version first.

20. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Me too. It was pretty funny to hear the first time after Lee had slammed Echols' previous effort, but it shouldn't have become part of the 'standard version' of the track.

AlienRendel likes this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I love this album dearly, but I've bought it as much as The Dark Side of the Moon. I don't think I'd listen to all the alternative mixes, single mixes, demos and mono remixes more than once. I wouldn't mind the book but this is one that I'll find pretty easy to pass up.

townsend and Man at C&A like this.
  22. 926am

926am Senior Member

How is the mono mix on this? I have mono and stereo on the prior two albums, never heard mono for forever changes.

23. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Have a copy on record and on CD. That's good enough for me. Don't need another.

DTK likes this.
  24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

wasn't there an unreleased quad mix done for this album?

25. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it sounds like a fold to me, so I got rid of mine....but maybe someone who knows every nuance backwards and forwards can help you more.