LP Listening Suggestions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Klapamos, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klapamos

Klapamos Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey all,

So I'm somewhat new to LP records, which has renewed my audiophile interests from high school and college. With a little help from this forum I have built a nice system including a Rega Player 1, marantz pm5004 amplifier, Klipsch 820F, and older 5 disc Yamaha CD player.

I have always been a fan of mostly 80's and 90's music, I was born in 81, but recently have been enjoying 70s music like Billy Joel, Elton John, Queen, David Bowie, suprisingly I liked Willie Nelson's stardust album (picked up at goodwill). I'm also way into Lionel Richie's first 3 albums, but not so much the commodores. Other than that I listen to mostly rock.

Any suggestions of artists or albums that you'll think may spark my interest would be greatly appreciated!

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The old US
    Peter Schilling-Things To Come, 1985

Neonbeam and Klapamos like this.
  3. c-eling

Dime a dozen cut out bin galore
    A-ha-Scoundrel Days, 1986
    Grab the old US, the re-issue kinda sucks

Neonbeam and Klapamos like this.
  4. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

Burn your record collection and listen to the Sex Pistols...

AlienRendel and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

:laugh:
    Speaking of-
    P.I.L. sounds excellent on the format, especially Happy and 9 (US)

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You really need to give more of a direction than a few '70s and early '80s acts and a standards cover album by a country artist if you want something more specific. But I'll throw out a few suggestion to see what sticks to the wall.

Squeeze - East Side Story. It's from 1981. It's a classic. It has the great single "Tempted" but the rest of the album flows beautifully and the all the songs are good.

Van Morrison - Moondance and Astral Weeks. These are easy to get. Amazon sells the 2008 re-issues. Both are mastered by Kevin Gray. Our host assisted on Moondance. I would tell you to get His Band and Street Choir, but the 2008 release has gone OOP. Still worth looking for.

Since you like Billy Joel, you may want to explore the recent MoFi releases before they go OOP. I bought the Greatest Hits package. MoFi didn't just redo the original LPs. They cut all the releases from the CD song list and put them on 3 LPs. It's more inclusive than the original 2 LP release.

I would also suggest you look at Joe Jackson's early back catalog. They all well recorded and mastered. This and the music is brilliant pop with touches of Jazz and anything else Jackson can throw in there.

If you like Stardust, you might want to look for Linda Ronstadt's records with Nelson Riddle.

Aside from the MoFi release which I only recommend because, it'll probably sell for double, the second it goes OOP, all of these tend to be inexpensive.

Klapamos likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Bruce Cockburn, Dancing in the Dragon’s Jaws

8. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Donald Fagan, The Nightfly

Andy Saunders and Klapamos like this.
  9. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Waylon Jennings Dreaming My Dreams - the late sidekick of Willie Nelson though Willie is not on this set.

Klapamos and clhboa like this.
  10. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

I always liked Atomic Rooster. There was one album I had named The Guitars that Destroyed the World. Happy hunting. I can not tell you how many hours of my life were spent going through album bins looking for the latest release or the cut outs for a deal. All of this was pre- CD. Those were the good old days.

clhboa likes this.
  11. Klapamos

Found an LP copy on Ebay and picked it up.

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well done! Let me tell you what you’ll really appreciate, aside from the great music and songwriting...the sound of this recording is superb. One of my demo discs!

13. Klapamos

14. Klapamos

Picked up the squeeze album, thanks for the suggestion.

15. Klapamos

Anyone else?

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Try some late '60s or early '70s Moody Blues!

Here they are at their rockingest, Ride My See Saw:

Klapamos likes this.
  17. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Find a good used copy of Scarecrow or Lonesome Jubilee by John Mellencamp

Klapamos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.