Lukas Nelson And Promise Of The Real "A Few Stars Apart" Out June 2021!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Apr 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream" Thread Starter

Out 06/11/21! Produced with Dave Cobb!

A Few Stars Apart is a testament to finding a human connection: between close family and friends, as well as one’s own heart. Produced by GRAMMY Award winning producer Dave Cobb, the album was inspired by the stillness Nelson found while riding out the beginning of the pandemic with his family in Texas and was recorded with the full band live on eight-track tape over three weeks at Nashville’s historic RCA Studio A. The eleven songs reveal what it means to come home again, to be still, and to find community—and yourself.

“I’m from what one might say is the ultimate road family—I’ve been on the road my entire life,” shares Nelson. “I’ve never been anywhere longer than three months, and suddenly here we are, the four of us together. And thank god we were together. I can’t remember the last time we had that much time together as a family. We had a lot of really important bonding that happened during that time. And I have to say, as terrible as the pandemic has been in so many ways, for my inner peace, I was able to take a lot of good from this time. I was able to pause and reflect.”

He continues, “It took me a really long time to come back to the home in my heart. In a physical sense, that’s Texas and Hawaii. But in a spiritual sense as well—I think I finally decided not to run from who I am and who I am destined to be. First and foremost, that’s a songwriter. That’s what this record means to me. There’s a story being told through the whole record. A story about connection and coming home.”

TRACKLIST

1. We’ll Be Alright
    2. Perennial Bloom (Back To You)
    3. Throwin’ Away Your Love
    4. A Few Stars Apart
    5. No Reason
    6. Leave ‘em Behind
    7. Wildest Dream
    8. Giving You Away
    9. Hand Me A Light
    10. More Than We Can Handle
    11. Smile

AVAILABLE ON VINYL, CD AND 96/24 HIGH RES DIGITAL!
    [​IMG]

https://concord.com/concord-albums/a-few-stars-apart/

[​IMG]

Usagi75, oneslip17, Sigma6 and 4 others like this.
  2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I just ordered my copy from Magnolia Record Club. It was either them or direct from Lucas Nelson's webstore -- but I had a 20% off at Magnolia (and they didn't charge tax, either). Very cool, too, that the album was recorded direct to 8-track tape.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I've been a huge POTR fan for a long time now. Normally, I would be stoked for a new album. But their last few albums haven't done much for me. I'll still likely buy it. But I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Looks like a "single" is out.

Sounds great!

Davido likes this.
  5. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream" Thread Starter

I'm really enjoying this new album! Dave Cobb must be the hottest producer in Nashville right now! Everything he produces turns to gold! The 96/24 high res digital sounds great!

6. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Out today. Sounds like Lukas Nelson and POTR going for a more mainstream sound that is not so countryish, at least with "Perennial Bloom" (song posted above). Dang if it doesn't sound reminiscent of Jason Isbell which may not be surprising considering the producer.

500Homeruns and pghmusiclover like this.
  7. Davido

Went to the local record store at lunch to pick up the album, and lo and behold, Lukas Nelson and the band were there to autograph copies of the record. Significant because Austin typically has a lot of in-stores but this is the first one I recall since February 2020! Getting back to normal? Sadly the band did not play at today's lunchtime thing (only a meet and greet), and tix for a just announced warm up gig in two weeks at a smallish club sold out quickly this morning...Lukas said they won't be back to play a local show until fall but I guess I have the album to tide me over. Guess I should go put it on!

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I like this, but am I alone in thinking this feels more like a Lukas Nelson solo album than anything else? His vocals feel even higher in the mix than usual and less emphasis on the rest of the player. I don't dislike it, it just doesn't emphasize the bits I love about the full band interplay.

oneslip17 likes this.
  9. Davido

Not sure I know enough regarding earlier Nelson & Promise of the Real's albums to say for sure but the album has a commercial sheen that should appeal but is not at all offensive (to me). I like it more with each play, a good sign!

gregk72 likes this.
  10. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Just picked this up on cd, looking forward to listening.

11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I can't say it really engaged me on the first listening so need another immersion. There's no doubt Lukas is the son of Willie.

gregk72 likes this.
  12. iluzun

iluzun Forum Resident

Just discovered this, what a nice surprise! Very nice lp, good to see the ‘apple doesn’t fall far from the family tree’. Well done from a new fan…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.