Lynyrd Skynyrd - Knebworth ‘76 coming to CD, DVD, BluRay and Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Ok I guess I have to be Captain Obvious for wannabe "Audiophiles" on the SHF :hide:

[​IMG]

First off I don't know why some feel the need to compare Knebworth with One More From The Road, or any other intentional band live recording Why?

OMFTR was done with the full intent to record a "Live Record" and sell it. So they found a indoor venue, brought SOTA recording equipment and engineers to do the job. They where able to run the sound of the room, testing and making it right and work with the band in sound checks during the day. The whole goal was to capture this band sound the best they can and afforded every opportunity to do so.

On top of that they recorded everything over three shows, allowing three takes on all song. Both the sound crew, recording engineers and band could work out what sounded good over days of work. They could review the fist show and adjust what might be better the next day. Then later when making the record can pick what they felt sounded the best, could have even mixed different parts of songs together. I'm sure they micked everyone and used a multi track system. On top of that they recorded the whole room and could add that to the mix later.

Knebworth was nothing like that, it was outside, it was the venue who hired their own people to run the sound board. They where the ones filming and controlled what was captured or not anyone looking out for the best interest of Skynyrd in particular. If anyones interest was being looked at it was the Stones.

No one expected any of this show to be massed produced into anything later on, these recording & filming where just "Documentations" of an event.

However what it does show with some pretty good filming and taping is Skynyrd went to England and totally rocked their world. It showed how tight this band was playing live even though it was a complex band at the time with a lot going on. They worked a lot, gigged a lot, most of them together for a long time putting some great music together.

We have here some of the best film and sound recorded documentation of how good this band was. Something that a year later would be gone forever, these tapes could have been lost destroyed and never again visited.

Be grateful we are getting what we got, because they where hot the day of Knebworth, and someone captured it with underwhelming equipment they had at the time.

Some of the comments here are funny thinking that the recording can be made into something it wasn't. Reminds me of when I was helping a young guy with photography and new digital cameras. Well me having a film camera background and talking to him about filters, he said he doesn't need them. He said he can do everything in the computer later adding effects and so forth. I tried to tell him there are Polaroid filters that block reflections and let you see through water, glass, blocking bright sun, and color filters that will let you see other aspects with in the image. The camera needs to be able to see this also, if the camera doesn't see through the glass, it hasn't been captured on the digital file. You can't put what was there if it's not captured in the first place later on the computer.

The same goes for recordings and the equipment that was used to capture it, it's only going to be as good as what was used at the time.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

I said normal people (dudes and gals at rock concerts) not female teenyboppers!

3. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Best post of the week....thank you.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Exactly. The rock concert in the 70s audiences were very different to the "pop" audiences. This is why the historical importance of this precious document is tarnished by the ridiculous audience noise overdubs.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Way to miss the point, Captain.

BDC, southamorican and MrGrumpy like this.
  6. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

Yes. :righton::righton::righton::righton:
    Extremely well put.

I've been thinking along these lines for a week now, watching the comments on here in utter disbelief.
    I've got Freebird The Movie, had it for a good few years - ok but, after first watch, mildly dissatisfying because of it's incompleteness

I was really excited when this new release was announced.
    Hopefully I was going to get a reasonably clean version of what I've already seen and heard over the years.
    I'd seen this performance of Freebird on UK TV several times, I knew exactly what was missing from Freebird The Movie, both performance and live recording-wise.
    But never in my wildest dreams did I imagine someone was going to somehow go back and re-record it all properly like a proper commercial live album.
    Or change the camera angles.
    Etc etc.
    Also, I wasn't really expecting them to be able to separate the performance from the fake audience sounds (to do what? replace with slightly more sophisticated fake audience?! :laugh:)

I got what I was hoping for - the whole set, all the smiling faces, and a lovely (complete) trip down memory lane.
    Yeah, the audience sound seems a bit inappropriate if you focus on it (especially inbetween songs in a few places), but I'm focusing on the performance.

I won't watch it that often, but I know it's there for when I need it - and it certainly replaces the old Freebird The Movie.

I've listened to the CD. It's fine, it's the soundtrack.
    Yeah, nice to have.
    But it doesn't come anywhere near One More From The Road if I want to listen to some Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    It is what it is and is exactly what I was expecting/hoping for.

7. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Got you! :thumbsup:

8. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Generally don't disagree with your post. I guess the issue is: Can the proverbial cake be "unbaked." A quick disclaimer in the liner notes - "sorry, guys, we tried to get rid of the crowd noise, but it's baked in" - would neutralize much of the hostility. But I have to wonder how much effort Eagle Rock put into the process. Maybe it's not that hard - a few months fiddling with a computer program on a laptop? Or maybe Peter Jackson's people could have resolved it in an afternoon? I really don't know, though I guarantee money and corporate lassitude played a role.

9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Well, here is the reason why. Mainly because it is an audiophile forum. The only good live Skynyrd is OMFTR and that is why I did my comparison because most Skynyrd fans have OMFTR. I wanted to give those an idea of what they might be buying through my review. Again, I had the vinyl in September of 1976 when it first came out. I know it every which way. The Deluxe Edition on CD was a wonderful complement to it. Much like the Deluxe of Waiting for Columbus. I wasn't expecting in my review, nor did I say so, that I was looking for this to be better. After listening, I said I was hoping the guitars would be more "pronounced"...........and just a pun there. I praised it for what it was at the time.

It is like the debate on the endless amount of Allman recordings out there. Some people, like myself, would like to know opinions of long time fans who hold Allman's recordings to let me know what they think. I mean, seriously, how many times do I need to hear the same set list? If sound quality is at a premium, I do consider buying again. Henceforth, my review. It is also like the Cream Tour Live 4 disc set. I think the Long Beach show outshines the others on sound quality. that is why, pretty much, when I listen to this set, I play that one. Now, you didn't call me out being a "wannabe audiophile" but you kind off addressed my post.

In the end, everything you said is true about the day. That doesn't mean that we can't compare and someone who might be, or not be a big Skynyrd fan, can make their own conclusions. I said I was glad to have this and I have not watched the Blu-Ray just yet. That is what I wanted. I never dreamed this would surpass OMFTR and it didn't. I wasn't disappointed in that. Just made an assessment on what I heard.

Just another opinion.........

Larry L, Pouchkine, ryu and 3 others like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What evidence do you have that the concert wasnt recorded in a better manner than your describing?

This youtube vid would seem to be evidence that it was...

At the very least it would seem to be evidence that the concert *could* sound better

11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

AMEN TO THAT!!!!
    Some of the whining on here is just beyond annoying.....we get it....you don't like the looped/canned audience....we don't need it brought up ad nauseum

Ephi82, Glenn coates and Andrew Russe like this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Since I can't go back now, I meant the San Diego Sports Arena show for the Cream set. There wasn't one at Long Beach..........Oakland, Los Angeles, San Diego and Royal Albert Hall.

Sorry for that...........:D

MrGrumpy likes this.
  13. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

exactly, it's not a huge deal- really part of the reason I posted was I was amused at myself for assuming it would be in 96 just 'cuz it was on blu ray. silly me heh

14. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Same here, although (I think) most audio from video content is 48, and not 96. I could be wrong, but it certainly seems that way, anyway. The one time I’ve encountered “high resolution” audio only content that was 48 and not 96 was on the INXS Kick 30 blu ray. Definitely threw me at the time.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It really bugs me because years ago I sent a message to the official Skynyrd site, begging them to release the full Knebworth performance without the US stadium crowd overdubs. :realmad:

marklamb, Doggiedogma, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  16. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Compared to the 5.1 mix it definitely is. The stereo mix on One More From The Road is vastly superior

Pouchkine likes this.
  17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

A friend gave me his copy of the Freebird movie DVD years ago, or rather he threw it to me saying see what you make of this s***e, saying he didn't want it back. (I've only played it twice, maybe one and a half times). So this morning I had a few mins to spare on my trip down town, nipped into my favourite indie record shop and I bought the double album/DVD, (I couldn't find anything I really wanted in my time limited visit). The LPs need a clean, at the moment they are statically glued to the inner sleeves, at least with this release the DVD does have Freebird from Knebworth. I'm not expecting that wonders have been worked this time around (comments here suggest not), I'll find out later...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I find your post a bit condescending.

For starters, this is an audiophile forum. If you want to wear the Captain Obvious hat, then you need be aware of this fact: there are audiophiles, here.

And, it makes perfect sense to compare One More From The Road to Knebworth. If you think about it, it’s the same band and lineup. It’s even the same year. And, both recordings are from multitrack tape.

Anthrax, parkmebike, BDC and 8 others like this.
  19. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

So is whining a prerequisite to being a "Audiophile"?
    I'v already said why it doesn't make sense, but you can feel it does for what ever justification you wish.

Most live records are not from one take of a band playing live. Even videos recording of events today can be planed but nothing says that performance will be put out for sale. They might film many concert through the tour, then pick the one that turned out good.

In the 60s and 70s I don't know of any live audio video recordings of a rock bands whole show that actually looks and sounds that great. It wasn't even very common to do as the equipment was very expensive, bulky, and needing large crews.

As far as packaging, here we have bare minimal, but also no matter what media packaging option anyone wants the cost is very minimal. I'm sure if they went over the top and had the records in a nice box set for $125 people would still be complaining that it's not accessible to everyone due to cost.

So back to the prerequisite to being a "Audiophile"

I guess in this world you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As far as that post goes that you have a problem with. Many more quoted it and gave it a like, all I said is what others are thinking of some of behavior posted in this thread.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    musicfan37 and MechanicalAnimal6 like this.
  20. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Listend to the CD in the truck you all are not kidding the extra crowd noise being added to the recording with all the females screaming I just figured the Knebworth Gals know how to party with all there screaming I figured they dubbed in the crowd noise from when the Forums Beloved Beattles were stepping off the plane when they arrived in the US for the first time:winkgrin:

I watched the Blu Ray last night and enjoyed it even though the added crowd noise made me chuckle great show. As far as One More From The Road the MCA LP when first released was rather murky sounding, still enjoy it regardless.

A6mzero, Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Notice the dude never answered my question. Guess it wasnt obvious enough for him :D

Anthrax likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There are LOTS of 24/48 or lower resolution concert and audio blurays. There are also lots of 24/96 (and even 24/192 audio). It’s largely dependent on the original source.

I believe INXS was 48kHz because there’s an Atmos mix. I think (but I could be wrong) Atmos, at present, is limited to 24/48, so I’m assuming they did everything at 24(32)/48.

23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Because that video didn't sound good, but you thought it did, don't know what you expect me to get from a mp4 mono song from Youtube. It had a weird clicking at the beginning of the song, what's that about? The new DVD, Record and CD sounds better than what you posted, so there was no point in getting back to you on it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  24. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

The boxed-set Knebworth version of Whiskey Rock-A-Roller is mentioned approvingly by several folks on Page 6 of this thread.

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

And?
    And we have many members in this thread who now own this new remaster and approve of it. In fact it's not just a track, it sounds live and it rolls the whole set. The records are nice, disc 2 will always be grabbed, with T for Texas and SHA on side C and Free bird on side D.

BTW I also had the green box, can't find it though and don't know what happen to it, maybe it will show up.

Glenn coates likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.