Lyric HiFi In NYC Is Gone

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Tony Plachy, Apr 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

As I reflect back on this thread, there's something else to take into account. As someone who runs their own business, I can say for certain that it's not for everyone. It takes a certain mindset to do it, and unfortunately I know too many people who have tried their hand at it and failed. I can only image some owners of these stores demanding their sales reps only deal with those who look the part as they are probably too focused on trying to keep the business alive. Now, I am not advocating in any way, shape or form how some audio retailers treat the people that walk through their doors...I am only saying they are focused on the $ side of things in an era where business is tough for many retailers - let alone those who sell hi-end audio.

In the end, some people are just bad business owners. We used to have a store near me that had a HUGE selection of laser discs you could buy/rent. They also sold hi-end audio/video equipment as well. While I don't recall the owner being an ass to any customers during my visits, there were numerous times I heard him getting into it with his staff...usually because the store was busy and people he thought were going to drop a bunch of coin weren't being taken care of the way HE thought they should be. It was quite uncomfortable going there when he happened to be in. Several of us came to know him as "Herb the Turd". LOL

They ended up closing their doors years ago...imagine that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Sneaky Pete and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I got worse service at the candy shop than at Lyric.

Sneaky Pete, No Static and shug4476 like this.
  3. Tubes and Tunes

Tubes and Tunes Well-Known Member

Lyric Hifi were a bunch of pretentious jerks. Good riddance. I would much rather deal with small mom and pop shops that actually care about your satisfaction and help build lasting relationships. God Forbid you walked in there looking around wearing sweatpants.

Tim 2 and Shawn like this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Perhaps they knew who you were? All I can say is if I make it to New York any time soon...no audio shops or candy stores for me!

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. I’d love to own a business in NY if only to have the Lyric owner come in and treat him the way he treated others. Karma.

6. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The manufacturers are fine - I know a few of them.

The Living Stereo store was where I had my worst experience with a NY audio store. I swore to never buy so much as a vinyl brush from them, as far as gear goes - and I don't. Only used vinyl I still agree to buy from them - music is above vendettas.

BTW, last time I was in the area they were closed. Not sure if temporarily or permanently. If the latter - I will shed no tears.

7. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd be your partner, hoping the Living Stereo owner comes in.

Shawn likes this.
  8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There was a bookstore I used to visit on my lunch hour in mid-town because it was quite entertaining. The woman that owned the store yelled at the customers for touching the books, or perusing them. ("This isn't a lending library. Buy the book or leave!").
    Years later, in a suburban area I will not identify, I walk into a book store and who is behind the counter? She had grabbed a kid's credit card and was telling him/her that the parent had to call to get it back. Some things never change.
    'Twas amusing.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I was just at Evolution Home Theater yesterday. Scott was super friendly. hifibuys and The Audio Company are also super friendly as is Wolfsong Audio where Mike Burns might even give you a ride on his boat since the shop is on Lake Lanier. People are friendly here.

Sneaky Pete and Shawn like this.
  10. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Nah. This was way before I had any public presence in the audio world.

11. all24bits

all24bits Mature Adult

LOL --- LMC Entertainment in Phoenix specifically told me if they had clients in auditioning, I had to leave. (I posted about my experience there before. It wasn't an unwelcoming experience but it was so tightly controlled it wasn't fun)

Whereas at Magnolia Design Center, everyone could walk in on everyone's listening and check everything out. And they gave me the iPad, let me go to town on anything I wanted, and left me alone and even hung out and swapped the iPad back and forth with me as we played songs.

Ted Torres Jr and hi_watt like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Don’t forget younger folks are more likely to be renters. Moving a big ass stereo around every year or two is a PITA. They’re getting married later, buying house later... maybe they just haven’t gotten around to it yet?

Sneaky Pete and louis_anthony like this.
  13. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I had a bad experience with Lyric Hifi. Once was enough.

Shawn, Tim 2 and shug4476 like this.
  14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Ireland is totally different in so many respects though. I took a scheduled coach near the south coast once and the very friendly driver asked me where I was heading. I told him I was visiting a house a few miles from one of his stops. To my astonishment (this is the middle of the countryside) he replied "oh I know which house you mean" and diverted the bus route to drop me off at the end of the driveway! Living in England I can assure you this would never, ever happen here. Ireland is still a country populated by humans rather than automatons.

Same here. I actually go online and leave reviews now. Believe it or not that really gets their attention. I got a lengthy apology from one store, with whom we have actually spend a fair bit of money.

hi_watt, Diapason, Dignan2000 and 2 others like this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

One shop I used to purchase from on a regular basis used to lock the sound room door when in use, it was great as you didn't get bothered by a bunch of folks. Most people knew to stay out if the door was closed, but not everyone.
    LOL, if the sales guy left the room I would lock the door and pretend I didn't here him trying to get back in. It always took a bunch of sales staff and some time for them to find a key. :laugh:

16. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Is there any real charm in being treated badly by hi-fi store staff? Like they’re the Soup Nazi, or something?

I’m gonna say... nope.

trd and Shawn like this.
  17. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

18. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

This thread brings to mind the only interaction that I had with the owner of Upscale Audio. The guy was a condescending prick. Even though his store is in California, he clearly has that sleazy NYC hi-fi salesman attitude. I guess that shouldn't be surprising given the store's name. In the years since that conversation, I've spent five figures on audio gear, and not one cent of it went to his store.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    psulioninks, hi_watt and Shawn like this.
  19. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I long ago gave up on the whole audition route of purchases. Going to a shop to hear a piece of gear in an unfamiliar system and room is pretty useless.
    IMO the only way to tell if something suits your taste is listening to it in your system over a prolonged period of time.
    I also have no desire to explore unfamiliar brands, I stay with long proved companies that offer customer support. Therefore my purchases are based on either reviews or gut feelings. Most of the time when I want something I will simply just order it either from a local dealer if one is in the area or online.
    In return for this method I also expect a reasonable discount.
    When something doesn’t meet my expectations I will sell it and move on. I’m at the point where most of my system is at it’s endpoint and as retirement is looming it probably will remain with minor changes.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

The perception/reality ratio is very one sided in this thread.

Celebrating the closing of a business anywhere because of what happened to you one time or worse, what you heard happened, is kinda unfair. Is it my Boomer age group or just because “we can always buy it online “?

21. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

I was almost 70 ( :sigh: ) before I got my first true big ass gear.

22. They reap what they sow.

Tim 2 and macster like this.
  23. macster

macster Forum Resident

That's cold.

M~

24. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

There's a difference between a business closing due to macroeconomic circumstances (e.g. recession or pandemic) vs. due to lousy business practices.

Tim 2 and Shawn like this.
  25. macster

macster Forum Resident

Agreed, they were a class act, I miss them.

M~

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.