M-Audio Audiophile USB

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jkerr, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting a M-Audio Audiophile USB to use for LP -> pc laptop. I know Rudy, and possibly others, here have one. My question is this:

Can it be used as a standalone DAC? That is, S/PDIF input and analog output without the PC attached? I went thru the pdf manual and didn't see anything, yea or nay.

It's not a requirement, just that it would be nice option.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

No idea--I've never tried it, but I doubt it can be used standalone. I do know it needs the computer attached to set the sampling rate.

3. jkerr

Another question Rudy if I may: Is the level control for the output passive? Or does it add any gain?

4. -=Rudy=-

The output level adjustment is only for the line level analog outputs, which you feed to your monitoring system. And the other level control is for headphones. I think the line level outputs may add gain.

5. jkerr

Thanks Rudy!

6. galactustrilogy

galactustrilogy New Member

Just FYI:
    I had hellacious problems with the Audiophile USB connected to my Mac G4 1.25 ghz dual-mirrored door model. If you have this computer, be careful! I ended up sending the unit back after numerous Kernal Panics that went unresolved.

7. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

In the three years of using OSX, I've had only a (very) few freezes on my Mac. Until I got an Audiophile USB. Since then, I can guarantee that my Mac will crash in each session of using that damned thing.

The other item about this device is that it lacks an input level control. This means that you need to place another device between your stereo and the M-Audio unit. I find it incredible that a device called a "USB Audiophile" could be lacking this basic neccesity.

8. -=Rudy=-

It's easy enough to get a separate preamp and use the output of it to drive the Audiophile USB, which is what I'm doing. Also means I can run a separate system without needing a long connection to my main system.

Absolutely no crashes here--WinXP. ;)

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

But Rudy, you (and I) shouldn't need to! Can you imagine cassette decks without an input level control? So why should this device lack one?

Secondly, adding an extra device in the way can only make the signal worse.

IMHO, this is a misnamed device. It may be called "Audiophile" but it's aimed more at a semi-pro home music recordist, with the midi connections and other musical instrument connections. I's love it if M-Audio brought out sa device that was designed for the audiophile.

10. -=Rudy=-

Not really an extra device for me--turntable into the preamp, which drives the USB unit. Not like I'm doubling up. ;) Plus, I have line level inputs to add my cassette or reel-to-reel decks. Tone controls are bypassed, and I like that big fat volume knob to set the level. I agree though--it really should have a level control, but with an option to bypass it and go straight in like I do. To me it's no different than their PCI cards, which also don't have a level control. This is more convenient to hook up IMHO--no crawling on the floor, and it keeps the analog signal away from the EFI/RFI purgatory known as the computer case. ;) Didn't matter to me, then, if it were PCI or USB--I just went with what works in my setup. And I can't knock the sound quality either--that's the main thing for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.