M. Night Shyamalan's "Old"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

This film opened in theaters yesterday over here and it looks interesting.

This summer, visionary filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan unveils a chilling, mysterious new thriller about a family on a tropical holiday who discover that the secluded beach where they are relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly… reducing their entire lives into a single day.

The film stars an impressive international cast including Golden Globe winner Gael García Bernal (Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle), Vicky Krieps (Phantom Thread), Rufus Sewell (Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle), Ken Leung (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Nikki Amuka-Bird (Jupiter Ascending), Abbey Lee (HBO’s Lovecraft Country), Aaron Pierre (Syfy’s Krypton), Alex Wolff (Hereditary), Embeth Davidtz (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), Eliza Scanlen (Little Women), Emun Elliott (Star Wars: Episode VII—The Force Awakens), Kathleen Chalfant (Showtime’s The Affair) and Thomasin McKenzie (Jojo Rabbit).

Old is a Blinding Edge Pictures production, directed and produced by M. Night Shyamalan, from his screenplay based on the graphic novel Sandcastle by Pierre Oscar Lévy and Frederik Peeters. The film is also produced by Ashwin Rajan (Glass, AppleTV+’s Servant) and Marc Bienstock (Glass, Split). The film’s executive producer is Steven Schneider.

alexpop likes this.
  2. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

Wasn't this the plot to a Star Trek episode ?

( An old, very old episode.). ;)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

„We’re here for a reason „

Lost..... reboot:)

Spastica and 5th-beatle like this.
  4. 5th-beatle

I'm not sure, but it would not surprise me. Star Trek had plenty of good episodes!

I have read good reviews of this new film. Imagine how shocking it would be for a family when parents and children keep growing older within a matter of hours instead of years?

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Very old? Ahem!

I think maybe you have this one in mind: Miri

A Voyager episode has a not unrelated riff: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708856/

Apologies if a bit off topic...

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The trailer sucked me in but in the end after seeing Tuesday night I was disappointed. A one and done movie though the 360 degree sound field sounded cool and I will have to revisit that on Blu.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks! looks interesting...my wife and I will most likely enjoy this...

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I saw the movie at a Dolby Cinema screen and it was so effin' loud that I needed to wear earplugs! :help:

While my plugs work great at concerts, they tend to make directional movie audio less clear in terms of location/blending, which is why I only use them if absolutely necessary.

Given that I already have tinnitus and the audio level was painful, it became necessary.

I won't be able to really absorb the soundfield until I get the Blu-ray, though! :(

Mediocre movie, IMO. Entertaining enough but not great...

Matt Richardson likes this.
  9. 5th-beatle

I have now watched this film and liked it very much. It's an interesting premise with plenty of unexpected, thought- provoking moments. Well worth watching.

[​IMG]

MichaelH and Jeff Minn like this.
  10. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I loved it. So interestingly shot—many unusual compositions that unsettle the viewer. Lack of score during the bulk of the story makes you feel isolated and away from civilization and normalcy.

The ending goes a tad overboard in explaining things, but not enough to ruin what came before.

I’d recommend it. It’s not a typical Hollywood or Shyamalan film, which to me is refreshing.

Once the credits rolled, though, the wife said, “well, that was stupid.”

11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

We saw the preview at the theater when we saw Black Widow. It got horrible reviews. Looked like it might be so bad as to give The Village some competition. I don't know how Shyamalan is allowed to keep churning this out.

12. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

hmmmm i'm intrigued !

13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

We saw it last week. At times it felt like a Twilight Zone episode which is good.
    I liked it better than The Village but I liked Unbreakable the best. Those are the only 3 of his movies I've seen.

14. Oatsdad

"Old" is at 49% on RT, which is very mixed - certainly not uniformly bad reviews.

As for why Shyamalan is "allowed" to keep making movies... because they earn money.

The same reason anyone else gets studio backing.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The reviews aren't looking kindly to this movie.

49%
    TOMATOMETER

52%
    AUDIENCE SCORE

audiomixer likes this.
  16. It would have made a great half hour Twilight Zone episode.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  17. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

This was much more enjoyable than I was led to expect, I liked it a lot. The aging flowed very well and it kept me wondering what was going on.

No end credit scene but here's what I was half expecting

Flashback to a young David Dunn just after his car crash. He's brought by ambulance to an early version of Anamika.

bru87tr and Ghostworld like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just saw it, I thought it was quite good. Very well written and nicely acted. Mature. Leisurely pace and no gore or shocks (probably the source of complain for modern audiences) Sort of French foreign film meets MNS weird. It was a good mix. The lead actress took awhile to recognize, but she was the lead in PTA's "The Phantom Thread." I liked it because he DIDN'T throw a big twist in as "the Reason" and that made it a nice simple escape movie. I have to say it's one dof his better films. It didn't feel flimsy (although you can tell it was cheap as hell to make) nor stretched thin. The concept is solid and it was fun and interesting to watch and nicely directed. I liked the foreign leads, that was a nice touch. The husband reminded of Roman Polansky, so that gave it a nice, weird Polanski vibe for me, which somehow fit. The kids were all great in it. Very nice acting. Francesca Eastwood. Hawt. And the the superhot tall girl from Mad Max: Thunder Road in a bikini for the first half of the film was worth the matinee ticket, for sure, No complaints, I think it's a solid scare movie. It' s no "The Sixth Sense" but at least as good as his others and BETTER than a few.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    MichaelH, bru87tr and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

The Visit (2015), Split (2016), and Glass (2019) all made money. The Visit grossed almost $100MM on a $5MM budget. It might have saved his career.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Shyamalan is famously known for making movies for significantly less money than a n a typical Hollywood movie studio. Even if his movies were to just do OK at the box office, they make money.

21. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

And he funds much if not all of it himself.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

My hero. He's like the new Roger Corman.

23. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

The Star Trek episodes that people are thinking of in comparison to this film are:
    Star Trek TOS - The Deadly Years
    Star Trek TNG - Unnatural Selection

The TOS episode, Miri - the story is more about a contagion that wipes out all the adult life on a planet, leaving only the children alive to fend for themselves.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

I think "The Visit" did save his career.

After "Signs" in 2002, his films either flopped or at least disappointed at the box office, and the 2 prior to "Visit" - "After Earth" and "Last Airbender" - were big budget semi-duds.

"Visit" set up the template he continues to follow: low budget flicks that allow for strong profits if they're hits and that don't cause financial damage if they're not...

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it last week and really enjoyed it.

Nice twist at the end.

MichaelH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.