Made In Switzerland?? Hearbeat City by The Cars

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alainsane, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Hi, everyone. I've been collecting CD's for quite a while now, and until last week, I never came across a CD made in Switzerland. I was investigating the possibility of a "target" CD at my local CD shop, and when they brought the CD out, I didn't know what to make of it.

The GEMA insignia makes me think it's made for European markets, but it's got a for-the-US tray insert and cover. The other oddity was the rather large X mark near the inner ring. See images below.

CD Image
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/4197593163_e559ee2efe_b.jpg

Tray Insert Image
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2793/4198345590_40d46cdf9f_b.jpg

Has anyone more information about this (or this type of) CD? I'm interested in learning when Switzerland would have been involved in making CD's bound for US markets and any related historical information.

Thanks!

2. Yep, Oct 1985 Interpress began making CDs - also known as ICM or MCS. They made a few titles for WEA around that time. Not very common - typically 1986 vintage. Pretty rare, as they were not used much as supplier once WEA bought Teldec and made their own (Record Service Germany) around the same time.

Mainly for WEA Europe, but some were sent to the USA and added US inserts, a practise that became common in 1986 with a lot of their contract pressers. These are very rare in the USA. Probably one run only.

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a Van Halen "1984" and Heart "Heart" both made in Switzerland. Have not come across a Cars one yet.

Pat

M321115 likes this.
  4. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Same mastering as the target,
    I have "Hotel California", my 1st CD.
    I got it in 1986.
    They are pretty rare, never saw any from years.

5. Adular Zech

Adular Zech Forum Resident

I think the Swiss CD plant made quite a few CDs for EMI in the mid/late 1980ies, e.g. Marillion, Misplaced Childhood, Thieving Magpie, Herbert Grönemeyer, Scorpiens picture CD (Savage Amusement)...

6. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Wow, thanks y'all. That's amazing. I never knew there was a Swiss counterpart for CD "pressing" back then. Anyone got any ideas why there was an X mark in the center ring? Makes me wonder if it was kinda like a notch-cut version. ? Cheers!

7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I need to find that "Marillion - Misplaced Childhood"

Pat

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I had one of those and sold it when I bought a Japan pressing, perhaps I sold the more valuable CD :laugh:

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Came across a Madonna S/T Made in Switzerland yesterday.

10. How's it sound? Any idea with what other CD it shares a mastering?

-s1m0n-

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It seems that the early Swiss pressings are more common in Europe than the U.S., which maybe isn't so surprising. I don't see them in the bins here in the U.S. too often. As this thread dates back to 2009, the image link that alainsane provided no longer works. Here is what an early Swiss pressing looks like:

[​IMG]

rxcory likes this.
  12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Matrix codes are identical to my W. German Target (7599 23867-2 2893 683 01 #). I haven't checked but assume it is the same master.

13. I've seen a couple different hub styles wrt Swiss CD pressings too. The first, like the one in Kieth's image, has a sharp carved hub, like machined metal. The second has a similar hub but it appears smoother like it was coated with aluminum or some other layer after it was cut. Not sure exactly how these discs were manufactured but they do look different (if I locate a copy of the second type I will try to post a photo here).

-s1m0n-

14. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I found a Van Halen 1984 Made in Switzerland cd 9 23985-2 in the used bins yesterday. It looks very similar to the C,S,N &Y shown above with the exception that there's no verbiage on the perimeter of the cd, the Warner Brothers' logo is at 9 o'clock and Made in Switzerland is at 3 o'clock under the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo. The back insert says "Printed in U.S.A.". Matrix is 7599 23985-2 2893 353 02 #. While there is no black band on the perimeter, there is a mirror band.

M321115 likes this.
  15. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I own one exactly like that, same numbers and everything. One of only two Swiss CDs I've ever come upon.

M321115 likes this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I've just seen what I think is a Led Zeppelin IV version. Don't really have time to ask the seller for a clearer picture as the auction is about to end. I think these discs might be rarer than the target.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Since posting my message, I've managed to find a Swiss press a-ha Hunting High and Low in a charity shop in Wadebridge, Cornwall. They aren't too common, even on ebay. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your position), prices are likely to be low because there are so few collectors out there.

alainsane likes this.
  18. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Stumbled over the A-HA CD last Sunday on a record fair.
    [​IMG]

c-eling, Dave S and alainsane like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I've only come across one, found locally of all places
    Simply Red-Picture Book
    [​IMG]

Marc 74 and Dave S like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.