Madonna True Blue Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

True Blue is the third studio album by American singer and songwriter Madonna, released on June 30, 1986, by Sire Records. She co-wrote and co-produced the entire album with Stephen Bray and Patrick Leonard. True Blue deals with her visions of love, work, dreams as well as disappointments, and was inspired by her then husband Sean Penn, to whom Madonna dedicated the album. Musically, the songs on the album took a different direction from her previous endeavours, incorporating classical music in order to engage an older audience who had been skeptical of her music.

The album features instrumentation from acoustic guitars, drums, synthesizers and Cuban musical instruments. The topic for the songs range from love, freedom, and in the case of "Papa Don't Preach", social issues like teenage pregnancy. After its release, True Blue received critical acclaim, with music critics who complimented the album as the archetype of the late 1980s and early 1990s pop albums. They also praised the fact that Madonna's voice sounded stronger than it did on her previous efforts, while commending Madonna's skills as a singer, songwriter and entertainer.

True Blue was an immediate global success, reaching number one in then record-breaking 28 countries across the world, including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States. It spent 34 consecutive weeks at the top of the European Top 100 Albums chart, longer than any other album in history. It became the world's top-selling album of 1986,[1] as well as the best-selling album of the 1980s by a female artist. With estimated sales of over 25 million copies worldwide, True Blueremains one of the best-selling albums of all time. All five singles released from the album reached the top five on the Billboard Hot 100, with "Live to Tell", "Papa Don't Preach", and "Open Your Heart" peaking at number one.

The album was promoted on Madonna's second concert tour, the Who's That Girl World Tour, which visited cities of North America, Europe and Asia in 1987. True Blue is credited as being the album which established Madonna's position as the biggest female artist of the 1980s, rivaling male musicians like Michael Jackson and Prince. The album's singles and their accompanying music videos have sparked debates among scholars and social groups. She became the first female artist to receive the Video Vanguard Award at the 1986 MTV Video Music Awards in recognition of her impact on popular culture. The album also gave her first appearance on the Guinness Book of World Records.

OK, the above is from Wikipedia, but it’s great reading, right? It’s easy to forget, as we watch her stumbling around with ‘hip’ producers and guest rappers nowadays, just how much of a phenomenon Madonna was in the 8os. True Blue was massive. Even bigger than her first two albums. And they weren’t exactly flops! Everything wasn’t rosy for Madonna in 1986.. Her dreadful Shanghai Surprise movie flopped and her marriage to Sean Penn was already in trouble, yet she still managed to bounce back and turn out True Blue! It’s always been my favourite Madonna album... Yes, she recorded more mature records , but True Blue is immense fun and (for me) doesn’t have a bad track on it.

So, what do you think of True Blue 32 years later? Did you buy it? Do you still play it? If so, do you play it more than MDNA?! Share your thoughts and memories of one of the best selling albums of the 80s. Pick as many songs as you like in the poll.

Taylor Swift, you’re not fit to lick Madonna’s boots.:D

2. Bobby Morrow

3. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

"So, what do you think of True Blue 32 years later?"
    I think it's a great album overall. First time I heard Papa Don't Preach, I was blown away! The cover is beautiful, showcasing "another Madonna" we hadn't seen yet at the time. True Blue, the song is amazing pop single! As Bobby said, it is a lot of fun........

"Did you buy it?"
    Of course, this 9 year old was in love with Madonna from the videos! I think this was on CD from the get-go, although I had the record too, and all the 12" singles as they came out.

"Do you still play it?"
    Not nearly enough. Think it will be on my playlist today in it's entirety!

"If so, do you play it more than MDNA?!"
    [Sensing some sarcasm] Hell yeah! I play any Madonna album more than that one........

"Share your thoughts and memories of one of the best selling albums of the 80s."
    I turned 10 during the run of this massive album, and know every video by heart. That is what I remember the most. Madonna mania, great music.

4. Bobby Morrow

A 10 year old boy must have been very confused watching her videos at this time... Unless you were very advanced.:)

Man at C&A and John Adam like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

6. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

"So, what do you think of True Blue 32 years later?"
    I haven't actually heard it in probably 30 years, but some of the songs strike fond memories.

"Did you buy it?"
    Yes, got it from Columbia House.

"Do you still play it?"
    Don't even own it any more, had the cassette.

"If so, do you play it more than MDNA?!"
    Um... what?

"Share your thoughts and memories of one of the best selling albums of the 80s."
    Live To Tell is IMO still the best song in her entire catalog. From the soundtrack versions to the Bill Frisell adaptation, it is just one of those timeless tracks that has no expiration date. Aside from that, this is a somewhat forgettable album, nowhere near on the level of Ray of Light. Sure Papa Don't Preach turned heads at the time, but the other decent songs on here, True Blue and Open Your Heart weren't all that distinctive.

Splungeworthy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I got the 45 of True Blue on blue vinyl with picture sleeve I wonder if it is worth anything ?

8. John Adam

You're right. I'm sure it confused while intriguing the hell out of me! :) But of course she continued to do that all the way into the 90's........

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. John Adam

Nice item to have in your collection if nothing else!

tinnox likes this.
  10. classicmusicfan32

classicmusicfan32 Forum Resident

I have the CD. I have the remastered version that was released a bit later before that I had the album on cassette. I love the CD and have a lot of favorites on it but my all time favorite from the CD is Live to Tell and a song played on the radio but never released on CD that is another favorite is Where's The Party?.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Fabulous album, top to bottom, wouldn't change a thing. Probably her most pop-tastic album, it goes by so quickly that by the time "Love Makes The World Go Round" finishes you're ready to play it again. Still play it , of course. Top 5 Madonna album for me and yeah, I listen to it more than MDNA.:)

Dynamic Ranger and Bobby Morrow like this.
  12. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

True Blue currently getting more votes than Papa Don’t Preach :rolleyes:

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Love the awe inspiring intro to Live To Tell.

14. classicmusicfan32

15. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I love a few tracks including La Isla Bonita, which is probably my favorite from this release. I think most folks don't like the Immaculate Collection and it's use of Q-Sound, but I LOVE it. That's the record where I became familiar with the singles from True Blue and I prefer that I.C. 'mile wide' production over the production here. (which is still quite good)

16. classicmusicfan32

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I was vacationing at the Jersey Shore with my boyfriend at the time of the albums release, and he won the cassette for me on one of those ring toss games. That and Master Of Puppets. :laugh:

18. Bobby Morrow

I nearly did The Immaculate Collection in a poll. I believe it’s her biggest selling album of all.

thxphotog and classicmusicfan32 like this.
  19. classicmusicfan32

I have the CD as well. In fact the radio station in my area plays the IC version of Material Girl instead of the more common album/single version.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

Some of the mixes aren’t that different, but others (Into The Groove and Like A Prayer, for example) are really nothing like the single versions.

Grant likes this.
  21. classicmusicfan32

I prefer the original version of Into The Groove over the IC version.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  23. Psychedelic Good Trip

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bought this real time.
    Her best album cover.

sunspot42 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Wore the cassette out and had the album cover poster hanging on the wall as a teen. Madonna was my first crush.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.