Madonna's out of tune performance at Eurovision 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

We got it on the BBC and you're right it was cringing- I wonder if she had a moment of realisation that maybe she'd picked the wrong song?

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

She has so many great songs that would have fit the occasion, but I suppose LAP is as good as anything. More demanding vocally than the succeeding Future, where she just seemed to be grumbling the same couple of lines over and over...

Maybe the staircase put her off? You’d have thought they’d have gone to the expense of a Stennah for her!

tin ears and dezz like this.
  3. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Oh dear God no it went on for long enough as it was!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I did think at the time that her eye patch must have been a real impairment to her depth perception when walking sideways down a staircase. Still...splice the mainbrace and keel haul 'em, lads.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

So, Madonna gave us this awful performance...
    And Mariah was caught lip syncing at the New Year's Gala in 2106/17...
    And J. K. Rowling ended her beloved series with marrying the characters off to the wrong people...
    And GoT finally wrapped up awkwardly...

Man, we gotta lower our expectations.

6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Are you sure she's not a pirate? I think she's a pirate.

Greenalishi and dezz like this.
  7. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

It's more complicated than that. She's now Madame X.... who *might* be a pirate. She's far too enigmatic to let on though.

GoodKitty, tin ears and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

We can all (mostly, at least) agree that something went horribly wrong on the night. I wonder if the version heard live was auto-tuned incorrectly rather than the problem just being Madge's own pitch issue - maybe she triggered it to the note below the one she intended by being a little flat? Maybe some other issue with the settings? I mean, she would have been using auto-tune for both songs that night most likely, right?

Anyway, whatever happened I don't see why fixing it for the upload is an issue - who wants to hear the song with Madge the way she was in the mix on the night?

9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I hope she lives to tell.

10. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Are you serious? As fraudulent bullsh!t goes it's up there with Trump's "Biggest inauguration ever!". I can't believe "autotune malfunction" is even being suggested as a valid excuse. Madonna's autotune.

Madonna's. Autotune.

Madonna - global icon, living legend, blah blah - needs autotune to sound mediocre. It's an insult to the previous 26 acts who performed on that stage. Let's remember one thing - this was NOT a Madonna concert. If there are people still out there prepared to pay to watch such bloated, self-indulgent narcissistic twaddle then good luck to them; I truly hope they get their money's worth because Israel sure as hell didn't.

Blame The Machines likes this.
  11. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Edit: Oops! Didn't see @Bobby Morrow had posted a similar clip.

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Who doesn't use auto-tune at this point?

As for instances of editing live recordings to improve parts deemed unusable for subsequent release, the list is endless going back decades.

13. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

The previous 26 acts.

edenofflowers likes this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I didn't watch the show but I can see that for a competition it might not be used but Madge was just there for entertainment I presume.

Auto-tune is ubiquitous these days, hardly a scandal.

Nostaljack likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Kudos for getting this, often misreported, fact right! :righton:

Bobby Farrell actually sang Frank Farian's parts in live performances (in his own strange way), so the only mimer was Maizie Williams (they tried to have her sing, and I guess sometimes she does but her mic is turned down).

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

The gravy train would have kept on rolling for a little while longer if their album was never submitted for consideration at the Grammys. Winning Best New Artist brought a lot of extra scrutiny onto their already sketchy act - I remember watching an interview with Rob & Fab and thinking, wow, these two guys with thick European accents aren't the ones singing on the record. I also remember the late night shows were occasionally poking fun at them and how weird they sounded - sort of like how nobody openly acknowledged George Michael was gay, the suspicions were just kinda out there with innuendo and jokes.

But anyway, contrary to popular thought (some people think they were exposed after the record skipped during a concert) it was that extra scrutiny the Grammy win brought + a general whispering that they were fakers + behind the scenes drama between Rob and Fab and Frank Farian (the producer). They wanted more money and wanted to sing on the next record, so Farian cut them loose and all it took was a call to the LA Times.

Fab actually still tours the Milli Vanilli hits at festivals and the like in Europe. While I suspect he might have some help with the vocals, he sounds pretty damn good....

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Binni and Nostaljack like this.
  17. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Oh, and for what it's worth, I thought Madonna looked really great. Can hardly believe she's 60.

andrewskyDE and GoodKitty like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

She’d get a lot more respect if she just said, “Sorry folks. It was a mess. These things happen”.

But that’s not her style, is it? Pretend it didn’t happen and blame the ‘haters’ is more her way.

19. Marble Index

Yeah, that's the ways of a narcissist. :buttkick:

GoodKitty, anduandi and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You sound absolutely furious and raging with anger. Is everything ok?

Osato likes this.
  21. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Actually I would have gone with a futuristic space age stage design set, that way an escalator would have fitted in perfectly.

tin ears likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

But an escalator isn’t very Madame X, is it?

:D

bob60 and dezz like this.
  23. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

If you listen to Madonna's leaked unreleased recordings, she actually has tried a lot of Jazz and rock oriented music but sadly never officially released the songs.

GoodKitty and qJulia like this.
  24. Marble Index

I was just thinking about those stairs. Were they a prop in 'Future'? Other than some of the background dancers having a place to casually lay around as the camera passed them, I can't remember them being, but I have tried my best to forget about that whole performance. But from my recollection, the only purpose they served was for Madame X to walk sideways down, making singing an even bigger challenge than it already was. I'm sure she didn't have to run them all to the top in 10 seconds, even though it sounded like it when she started singing.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Thank you but I'm fine, really. I was angry last night, but I woke up with a different perspective this morning, and have come to accept that all this means is that I'm now a confirmed ex-Madonna fan. She hasn't had airtime in this flat since.... "Give It To Me", so her stuff might as well go to the charity shop so some good can come of this sorry debacle.

bob60 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.