Magical Mystery Tour: An underrated album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Apr 25, 2022.

1. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

Everyone? I don't think I'm alone in preferring the mono version, specifically the 2014 pressing. Without question it is one of the top three best-sounding records in the Beatles In Mono box set, and might be the best outright.

I think Strawberry Fields Forever, I Am The Walrus, and Penny Lane are among their best-sounding mono recordings. I listened to them last night (2014 pressing) and as always, sat absolutely motionless and transfixed, in complete awe at the sonic perfection of these three mono mixes.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

An additional comment about the connection in the MMT songs…even though two of the songs came out something like 9 months prior to the album, I actually think they’re a better fit on MMT than they would have been on Pepper.

Pawnmower and Library Eye like this.
  3. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

MMT Us simply one of my all time favorites.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It was a while ago when I wrote that post but I think I was referring specifically to stereo versions of the album. If I wasn’t, then it was a dum moment of over over-generalization on my part. I personally am not too nuts about any of the film tracks in mono but I think the mono mixes of Hello Goodbye, PL and SFF are excellent and all have an atmospheric “warmth” which gets a little lost in the stereo versions (even though I like them).

TheRunoutMatrix likes this.
  5. TheRunoutMatrix

Well, no argument from me that the German true stereo pressing(s) are fantastic-sounding in terms of stereo recordings in general! Nothing dumb about loving them. I just really love the mono mixes, particularly Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane. They are among the most wonderful mixes, mono and stereo, ever made from their entire catalogue.

DK Pete and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Absolutely agreed. While I have many reissues, I don’t have any of the original UK 45’s; but I do have all of the Capitols. Going by those, my favorite sounding 45 between both sides is that of PL/SFF (this includes the stereo Apple 45’s that came later).

TheRunoutMatrix likes this.
  7. TheRunoutMatrix

I have the mono UK MMT EP; the first pressing one with the blue lyric pages. Not sure if you own it or have heard it, but they sound wonderful; cut nice and hot - I like it more than any of the mono 12" copies from the US/Canada, except for the 2014 Beatles In Mono pressing. It's worth buying a copy. They made stereo EP pressings as well, which incidentally I have never heard myself. No idea what it sounds like.

8. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

I LOVE MMT!

9. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

I concur.

10. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I like to think of the white album as a concept album of where the members of the band are in their lives, and in the world too. Almost all the songs are social commentary, very personal, or a mix of both. But that's just me.

Keith V likes this.
  11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Yeah, I think it's in the American canon and not the European canon is still under debate.

andy75 likes this.
  12. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

I thought the major theme of Pepper was The Beatles disappearing and being a different band altogether. Sure the "live show" is kind of window dressing. But the fundamental theme is The Beatles thinking outside the box and trying new things that aren't associated with past Beatles music. I think there's a quote from Paul where he talks about discussions they had about "how would a different band do these harmonies" or "that's too Beatley, we need to do something else", etc. Certainly Mr Kite, She's Leaving Home and A Day in the Life fit that bill.

13. NasuTek

NasuTek Doktor Kettu

Easily the best Beatles album and only one I keep playing a lot.
    I have a CD copy with extra tracks, so this was not a full album when it was released? This is the only Beatles album I keep listening regularly. Abbey Road is another, but I have not been listening it lately. I would say MMT is underrated, full album or not.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  14. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

Filming locations :

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  15. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I think the first side is weak, although it is well produced and sounds great. I Am The Walrus iconic but a bit overrated.

Side Two is amazing.

16. glittering-girl

glittering-girl Beatles/Who/Todd R.: My Mount Rushmore of Rock

:tsk:

MMT was the first Beatles album I ever owned (birthday present in 1967) and is still my favorite Beatles album. I have my original 1967 pressing (stereo black/rainbow label) but it is in terrible shape. I wish I had a 1967 mono pressing in decent shape. And, "I Am the Walrus" is a great song!!

Library Eye and Clonesteak like this.
  17. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

It's my favourite stand-alone Beatles album apart from maybe "For Sale" and the Red and Blue doubles of course. Though I have a couple of friends here in London who consider themselves expert and who do not consider it to be an album at all and don't count it as a main sequence record. For them it is therefore not worthy of rating at all!

Solaris Morse likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

19. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I think of it as a compilation, like Hey Jude

20. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

I love it. One of their most substance-fueled and substance-friendly albums. Yes, I consider it an album.

Clonesteak likes this.
  21. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

My first CD I ever bought in 92 along with Metallica Black album. MMT and Rubber Soul are my favorite Beatle albums.

DankFridge likes this.
  22. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Awesome memory!

Clonesteak likes this.
  23. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

One question: Is it possible to compile the full remixed MMT album from available sources (CD) as soon as the new 1967-1970 compilation is out there ?

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No; Flying, Mother Should Know and Blue Jay Way will still not be remixed from an audio-only source. You can only find them remixed on the MMT dvd/Blu-ray from about ten years ago. All the others will be remixed versions on ‘67-‘70 and Baby You’re A Rich Man is remixed on Yellow Submarine Songtrack.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
    Lemon Curry and Gila like this.
  25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

“Underrated”, N.

“Misunderstood” by many, Y especially if they’ve seen the movie and asked themselves the Q, “Is there a message here or this one big romp?”