Magico A3 vs. Joseph Audio Perspective vs. Spendor D9

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by freesole, Nov 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freesole

freesole Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have been doing some research over the past while and am currently in the midst of a search for my next floorstanding speaker that costs around ~$10k. My other thread that I posted in this forum gave me a lot to consider. Rather than post there, I figured a most focused thread would be a good idea. Now, I have distilled my choices to these 3 choices... I think.

Power: I will be powering the speakers with a SET amp (48W per channel).
    Sources: Most of my sources are digital (Roon/Tidal). I mostly listen to jazz, classical and female vocals. I would appreciate a speaker that provides that good, snappy bass where I don't need a subwoofer.
    Room: Large room (will be in the living room that opens up to the kitchen and then the dining room). Aesthetics do matter here.

I have received a ton of help through the forums already during my search and have now narrowed down my speaker choices to (in no particular order):

• Magico A3 - No issues driving these speakers with my amp. Tested and they sounded wonderful. Very analytical and super clear details. Tight bass as well but maybe more weighted in the clarity/details than warmth, even with my tube amp.
    • Joseph Audio Perspective - No dealers in WA or OR so no way to test these but have heard wonderful things about these speakers. Sounds like imaging/sound stage is a strong suit along with clarity. I wonder how bass performance is though as these have smaller woofers compared to my other choices.
    • Spendor D9 - Have not heard these speakers yet but am trying to find a local dealer that has them in stock.
    Another one that I am still thinking about is the Daedalus Argos but I would like to hear some feedback on the top 3 at this time.

Thanks!

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Why are you not considering the Revel F228Be?

3. freesole

Was considered - No longer however as the looks do not match with our living room decor. Just our own taste.

head_unit likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You've heard the Magico with your 48w amp and it was fine. A little surprised, but if you made that your choice I have no doubt they would bring a lot of enjoyment over many years. There has to be a lot of trickle down effect from their big guns, and although expensive, I see reasonable value there. The best choice of the 3, in my opinion.

johnnypaddock and freesole like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

The D series are Spendor's most modern/analytical/monitor-like speakers, and allegedly quite bright in the treble. I've been told many would prefer the A7s over the D7s/9s. Alternatively, you might consider the Classic 1/2s with stands.

6. freesole

Interesting. I plan to listen to the D7's tomorrow and I'll hopefully get an idea of their sonic signature then. My ears are very sensitive to shrill highs and bright treble so I'll hopefully be able to detect that rather quickly.

7. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Yes, why not the Classic 1/2? The classic BBC approach gives you sound that you will never tire of, IMO, while being sufficiently detailed and honest at the same time.

Helom likes this.
  8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Tough choice. Both the Joseph Perspective and Magico A3 are excellent speakers.

freesole likes this.
  9. freesole

Heard the Spendor D7's today. Quite impressed at the performance in the high range - airy yet clear with good detail (falls short of the A3 here but it is enough). The midrange is beautifully smooth and lush. Bass on the D7's was good but not eye opening. I can only imagine that the D9's would be able to dig deeper in the low range and solve that piece of the puzzle.

On the other hand, I also heard the Wilson Sabrina's and I was very impressed with that speaker. Out of my price range though.

10. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Did you wind up auditioning any of the DeVore recommendations, Super 9, O/93, 96?

LeeS and Art K like this.
  11. freesole

No, the O/93 and 96 are not going to work in my room aesthetically. Super 9's I am mildly interested in but have heard from several people that they prefer the Spendor D series over the Super 9's.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Did you hear the Magicos in the Seattle area?

13. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Dayton B652 Air.

And new cables.

head_unit likes this.
  14. loki7177

loki7177 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of looking for new speakers as well. The A3 is at the top of my list. I recently hear the A3 and the D9 at the New York City Audio Show. They were in different rooms with different gear but they both sounded great, 2 of the better sounding rooms IMO. I am going to audition the A3 next week. Another speaker on my list is the Triangle Magellan Cello. If you are interested in the Sabrinas I know a dealer by me that have 2 Demo pairs, one in silver and one in white for sale at at 25% off. That would put it close to your price range.

freesole likes this.
  15. freesole

No, I heard them up north :) No dealers here in Seattle.

16. freesole

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the A3's. It is good to hear that you liked the D9's and the A3's quite a bit at a show though. I found them very close in overall enjoyment.
    It sounds like you like those two speakers more than the Sabrina's. What about them did you enjoy more?

17. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

i would also add to this list devore 093/96

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

He posted "No, the O/93 and 96 are not going to work in my room aesthetically"

freesole likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I did not care for the Perspectives on at least three different occasions to listen to them. Something was off in the midrange. The Joseph Audio Pulsars- those are amazing IMHO and sound so much better then the Perspectives.
    The Magicos are extremely clear and detailed with an amazing realism but the bass is not so great- I truly do not care for the way bass sounds in an aluminum enclosure.
    Never heard the Spendor D9s but the D7s are incredible and I have little doubt that the D9s would sound spectacular.

freesole likes this.
  20. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Have you thought about Dynaudio?

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Up in BC?

22. freesole

Interesting notes on the Perspectives. What was off about the midrange in your opinion? Most reviews have indicated that the Perspective is simply more of the Pulsar's.
    On the bass of the Magico A3's, I agree that this is not their strong suit. Tight, detailed, and quick bass but it did not stand out to me in my listening sessions.

avanti1960 likes this.
  23. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

First time I've heard someone say this about the Perspectives........ They are pretty incredible speakers.

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I was baffled when I heard them based on the reviews. Just did not make an impression - the Pulsars on the other hand......! WOW>

25. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Pulsars are fantastic (one of my all time favorites). To me, the Perspective is a bigger, fuller Pulsar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.