Magnavox console - 'It had a deep and crisp sound that I can`t find anymore''

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by proufo, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the Kinks list:

'While growing up in the 1960`s my sister had a Magnavox record player / AM-FM console system. I was able to play all of my Kinks records that I had at that time on that system. It had a deep and crisp sound that I can`t find anymore. From " All Day And All Of The Night"
    and up to "Arthur" and "Lola" never sounded better. I have a nice CD system but I can`t find that sound that I`m wanting to hear. Was it a sound that you can only get from a 45 or a LP or will a Bose CD system or something else be the answer? Will someone out there please give me an answer! I want to hear that GREAT sound again! Thanks and God Save The Kinks!!! Chuck
    Moody'

Forum members, What are your views on this?

2. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Yeah, a Bose wave radio will do the trick...:laugh:

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting. Don't forget to factor in first impressions- he probably heard those records for the first time on the console stereo, as opposed to hearing them for the n-th time on his Wave radio or whatever it is he's using.

4. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

The old magnavox system probably had 15" woofers, some tubes for the pre amp and horns for the tweeters. All in a bass reflex cabinet.
    About the closet you can get without buying a console is to get some vintage Klipsch speakers. They have horns, they have big bass speakers and are bass reflex design.
    I think If you find some Heresy locally or even K4 you will find that "big" sound you are looking for.
    If you want to build speakers see the classified section for Magnavox speakers for sale out of an old console. I can give you the speaker dimensions if you want them. Probably tomorrow the cabinet goes to the dump so ask fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.