Mailed my last Netflix DVD back today

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spitfire, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If you think finding movies on their disc by mail service is hard, don't even bother with their streaming service. Total crap selection of movies.

2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

When it got to the point where it was taking the better part of a week for discs to get to me in New Jersey, from New Jersey, I bailed. I don’t remember exactly when it was, but it was some time after the pandemic started. I miss the DVD selection, and I miss my queue, but I don’t miss the ridiculous turnaround time and that vacuuming sound of money being sucked from my wallet for a multi-disc plan. The last disc I mailed back was Pain and Glory - a great film I watched twice, plus extras, before I sent it back.

GMfan87' and 905 like this.
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member Thread Starter

I actually found a lot of the movies I want to see on Amazon Prime. Problem is I'll have to pay to rent them. Some are only 99 cents though.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  4. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm still using them, but the USPS has slowed things down. No issues with new films.

Main reason why I stick with them is that a blu-ray looks/sounds way better than any stream I have seen/heard. Even a good DVD is preferred to a stream.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think things slowed a bit post-March 2020 but pre-Thanksgiving 2020, but not that bad - at least not for me!

It really wasn't under the holiday shipping crunch that it became a disaster!

6. G E

G E Senior Member

Mail turnaround still pretty good here. But it’s getting harder to find discs I want to bring in.

I may add blu ray. I’ve noticed they have some classics only on blu.

btw- I noticed they split the charges for streaming and disc rental. I wonder if they are planning to spin off the disc business.
    Hey, I made a funny!

7. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

genuine laugher

Veronica Mars likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ive had Netflix on and off since the 90’s. I didn’t realize they still offered the mail service.

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

They...still...have....that?

Not joking. I really didn't know.

10. I’m surprised to hear that Netflix still has a physical option. The Canadian equivalent, Zip.ca, closed several years ago.

11. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

With USPS discs arriving has been slow.
    Frankly I still find it cost effective for discs. I already have amazon prime. Just haven't been motivated enough to cancel yet.
    I still think picture quality of streaming is hit and miss compared to blu ray

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Get Amazon Prime streaming. Unbelievable array of disparate films from every era.

905 likes this.
  13. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I quit Netflix's DVD service nearly a year ago because I found their selection too limited. Since then, I've watched several titles on Amazon streaming that weren't available on Netflix.

14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And of shows-- practically every single show is current; hardly any oldies.

15. I don't think they do still have the physical option. They stopped charging my bank account months ago. I still have a Blu-ray of theirs here that I put aside and forgot about for a year or so. They haven't asked me to return it.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Still getting my 2 discs a week. We watched Tesla and Fatman this past weekend. Prefer discs because of my Blu-ray based sound system. Streaming doesn’t have that DTS or THX thump. I’ll hang in there till they decide to hang it up. Occasionally use Redbox too.

17. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Still have the DVD option. Great for indies, foreign films, documentaries. Yes, the inventory gets slimmer, still there are many films that are not available on streaming. Studio One Anthology on three DVDs? CNN's Cold War documentary on six DVDs? Futurama (not on streaming anymore)? Simpsons (AFAIK, never was on streaming)? But there is Disenchantment.

altaeria likes this.
  18. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I'm finding everything I'd like to watch on streaming services; I can understand why physical discs are taking so long with the slow mail. Media mail must be the delivery system of choice with the postal system.

19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Different reason for recently switching from Netflix DVDs to streaming: sometimes the DVD envelope would sit under a pile of mail for weeks before we’d get to it.

20. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I have wistful recollections of AdultDVDEmpire envelopes waiting in my mailbox.

21. Depends. Disney + does as I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.