Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 25, 2018.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Well, there's the LP, the CD, then the US version with some shorter tracks and "Runner" added...

2. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

What an amazing band! I have and love all their stuff...count me with the Angel Station fans. This song should have been a huge hit.

Lonesurf and jay.dee like this.
  3. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I think only the original album has the correct running order. By correct, i mean the running order of the original.

4. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

I bought " BTTLight " as a single!!!:D

5. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Can't recall the name of the track (on N&B) where the percussion pans back and forth across the speakers, it used to freak our cat out.

6. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

But as great as Angel Station and others are, The Roaring Silence is their masterpiece. The Road to Babylon is the standout track on an extraordinary album. (Wanting to update the video to make it more worthy the greatness of the song)

7. JulesRules

Chris' voice on that song is unbelievable! Overall, an amazing song...

MetalGuruMessiah and abzach like this.
  8. JulesRules

Quoted from another thread (about Deep Purple). It's striking how little live material there is from those early MMEB years. I suppose a lot of it was destroyed in the Workhouse fire... but surely something must still exist somewhere?

9. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

Not this year there isn't.

JulesRules likes this.
  10. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Angel Station
    Watch
    Chance
    The Roaring Silence
    My go to Manfred's albums.
    Great recordings on vinyl.
    I have 2 copies of Angel Station I like it so much first copy needed a friend as it's a little warn now..

11. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

there's probably a few shows from 1975-1977 in various radio station vaults (unless they were wiped/also got lost).

Here's a few shows that may or may not be slumbering in some radio station vaults:

1973 0? ?? - Smiling Dog, Ohio
    1973 12 18 - Marquee Club, London (the original MMEB at its peak; not sure if the Beeb still has it, i presume not or surely it would have been on Radio Days; it's a much better show than the more common previous month's show at the Paris Theatre)*
    1974 09 24 - Concerthuset, Stockholm (a rare 1974 show, including "Give Me The Good Earth"; the circulating version would be release-quality if it weren't for the noise-gating applied to it)
    1975 10 12 - My Father's Place, Roslyn (early Thompson-era show, great performance, great FM capture)*
    1976 10 15 - The Spectrum, Philadelphia*
    1976 11 01 - The Bottom Line, New York
    1976 11 10 - B'ginnings, Schaumburg
    1977 03 24 - Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh
    1977 05 30 - Damensportpark, Geleen (Pinkpop Festival) *

* shows that stand out to me (in a good way)

jay.dee, JulesRules and Floyd Crazy like this.
  12. JulesRules

Nice to see you around here again. Not so nice to say that. :(

I guess this has to do with the pandemic situation though? Because why would Robert have said that if it hadn't been planned for 2020...

13. Luke W

Luke W Forum Resident

How much I can actually say I don't know but the pandemic really hasn't had much of an effect as far as I am aware. Something may well be cooking up in the kitchen but last I heard it's not ready to be served up in whatever form it may or may not end up becoming.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

They hold a special place in my heart because bbtl was the first song I remember hearing when I was a little kid. It was the beginning of a 50 year journey that continues to this day.

carlwm and Floyd Crazy like this.
  15. JulesRules

I'm well used to the frustration by now but Robert not only saying it in public but also directly talking to me did really get my hopes up too high, I guess :rolleyes: Oh well, time to listen to the Radio Days CDs properly now that I have a working CD player again... :agree:

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So which LP or CD pressings of Solar Fire had "Joybringer" included as part of the regular tracklist, before the remasters appeared?

It replaces an album track on my French Carrere cd pressing. Strange.

17. JulesRules

18. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

"US editions feature 'Joybringer' i.o. 'Earth: The Circle Part Two' as track B3.":
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Solar Fire

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Weird. Did it have to replace one of the best tracks on the album? Jeez.

JulesRules likes this.
  20. The only good news is that Joybringer is represented in the box set both in its 7 inch and unedited original version.

yesstiles likes this.
  21. JulesRules

What box set, the 40th? There's only one version of the original 1973 recording on that. The 1987 re-recording, different story...

abzach likes this.
  22. Seamus007

Seamus007 Well-Known Member

Fitting....in your tagline it says drum machines are not evil.....your ridiculous post now makes sense

Rufus rag likes this.
  23. Seamus007

Seamus007 Well-Known Member

Still trying to find a German copy of Messin' with the futuristic cover....My U.S. copy has the drab cover and the alternate weaker track listing....tough to find on Discogs

24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Years ago I thought I saw a live album of theirs from the late 70s.
    Anyone know of it?

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Get over yourself. I probably posted my ridiculous post because some idiot was bashing new music.