Marantz 2220 one channel crackling/popping

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrLaskez, Jan 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrLaskez

MrLaskez Member Thread Starter

By the way, this crackling in the right channel is present even when the volume level is set to “zero”, and it is independent of changing it.

2. Charlie Anteby

Charlie Anteby New Member

I have the same problem. Have a marantz 2220 that I purchased used with a pair of Jamo 68 speakers. The issue started as a significant amount of crackling and popping on one side when I turned it on, even if the volume was all the way down. I also felt that the other side was coming out lower than the first side once it got going a little. I tried to "exercise" the buttons and not I have no output on the bad side.

Also my tuning meter doesn't move at all. It stays on the far left and hasn't reaction when I'm trying to tune in stations. That's a secondary issue Im sure I could live with.

I paid 150.00 for the set. It came with very heavy duty speaker wire that my friend called "underground wire, very good" but based on its age, I predict a good 30 or more years old, I'm not sure I trust it.

Any good tips for a guys who once graduated TCI Institutes in 1975 but never worked on any equipment and can't say I know much more than the average aficionado of this vintage hifi? I always wanted a Marantz but this is not working right so far.

Thanks for any help you can provide me with. Also, I'm in Deal NJ near Asbury Park NJ if anyone has a person here who can look at it for me.

3. MrLaskez

MrLaskez Member Thread Starter

I think I solved the problem, because mine works perfectly now. Since Marantz receivers wihout “B” are capacitively coupled, those three big capacitors, since they haven’t worked for a very long time, need to charge again. Buy the cheapest speaker set possible (5$?), it really doesn’t matter which ones (as long as their impedance is within acceptable range of impedance for 2220), and leave your receiver on for a couple of hours while it is idling on that speaker set (without any signal coming through). Worked for mine, I just let it on for a couple of hours, capacitors charged and work without a problem now. Repeat if you still can hear crackling, and it should go eventually. Just be certain not to switch on your main speaker set if the crackling hasn’t gone, because abrupt movement (which crackling is causing) of the speaker can potentially damage it. So, whenever you power on the receiver, turn the test speakers on, just to be certain.
    I bought Oehlbach 1.5mm2 speaker wire and it works fine, and it’s not expensive either, it fits just right into marantz’s terminals.
    I don’t know about the signal strength meter.
    All the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.