Marantz CD-67SE vs Harman Kardon HD7325 vs Yamaha cdc-715

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MattL2, May 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattL2

MattL2 Member Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Yamaha CDC-715 which I am thinking about replacing as it has no digital outputs; also I've read that multi-CD-changers are generally not as good as comparable single-CD players.

I found a Marantz CD-67SE on Craigslist, it is a 10 minute drive from my house and they are asking $120. There is a lot on info on the internet about this player, with many outstanding reviews, but also several very negative ones.

I also found a very gently-used Harman Kardon HD7325 on ebay for about $100 (including shipping.) It was harder to research this player but what I read was mostly positive.

Both players would retail for roughly $700 in 2022 money. The Marantz has coax & optical; the HK just has coax. I plan to play a lot of burned CD-R's so if that's an issue with either player that's an automatic dealbreaker.

As for my current Yamaha cdc-715, I can't find much on the web about it. Can't find an MSRP or any reviews. But my dad said it was a really good player in his day when he bought it. If anyone thinks it would actually sound better than the Marantz or HK I may just end up keeping it.....

Thanks!!

2. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Having both optical and coax can be a very good thing. Having only coax is not bad, but does mean that if you want to connect to device with optical input, you'll need an inexpensive converter. The HK has dual DACs. From what I saw, both CDPs might be finicky about playing CD-Rs.

3. MattL2

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don't yet have an external DAC but I am thinking about getting a Schiit Modi 3e which has both coaxial and optical so if I bought the Harman Kardon CD player with just coax that should be enough.

However I'm more concerned with audio quality than connectability. Between the three units (my current Yamaha, or the used HK or Marantz) do you have any idea which would sound the best? Obviously I don't expect anyone to have hands-on experience with all three models, but based off of reputations and legacies and such.

4. BruceS

I had both a CDC (4300) and CDP (5001) made by Marantz, and thought the SQ of both was very good via RCA out. They both had a different DAC than the 67. That's it for my hands-on with these brands. If you're going to use a CDP as a transport—that is, bypass its internal DAC by connecting to an external DAC with optical or coax—then "sound the best" might depend more on the external DAC. Whether either will play CD-Rs, or at least do so consistently, could be a bigger issue. The Schiit seems to be well-thought-of hereabouts. Which one looks and feels like the right one for you?

5. MattL2

I am leaning towards the Harman Kardon, because they are known for consistently good products, while I believe Marantz have highs and lows. Also the eBay ad for the Harman Kardon swears the player was barely used. The Craigslist ad for the Marantz doesn't speak to the quality of the player or even say it is tested and working.

6. BruceS

Should be fine and good luck with it. I was wrong about one thing: it's the 7425 that has the dual DACs.

7. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

The Marantz is very highly rated even by todays standards.

8. MattL2

Hey everybody. So an update: I bought the Marantz. The seller from Craigslist wanted to meet at a Starbucks which made me nervous because I was unable to test the device. But when I got it home and hooked it up it worked great! Sounds great too.

To be totally honest the Yamaha I am replacing works fine. But I had the "itch" to upgrade to something better. I'm sure people here can relate to that.

SteveKr likes this.
  9. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I believe the 67SE was designed by Mr Ishiwata , no wonder it sounds great ! Have fun :)

10. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Still using a CD67se that I bought new, way back when. Still works perfectly, never a hiccup.

11. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I used to own Marantz 67SE, lasted 5 years.. It is very pretty and sounds fine, but do not expect miracles. Compared to newer players it is a little less resolving and bright (if loudness is not reduced). Rarely used it as a transport, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.