Marantz HD-DAC1 vs. other DACS?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kitt1987, Feb 13, 2019.

1. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't been able to find too much information on the Marantz DAC, I was curious how it compares to other DACS, especially those in its price range.
    Currently I am using a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC between my PC and a vintage Pioneer receiver (SX 1050). I playback all lossless file types shifting in between 16 and 24 bit. The PC is hooked up via SPIF optical.
    Recently I have been considering upgrading from the Modi, possibly to the Gungnir but the Marantz has always captured my attention and was wondering about how it would compare and if it would be worth the money.
    The more I have been reading lately about multi-bit the more apprehensive I am about purchasing another multi bit dac. If I settled on the Gungnir it would be the base model and not the multi bit version. Does anyone have any personal experience with the Marantz?

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Over the past 2-3 years in particular I’ve had the HD-DAC1 in my main and test systems, as well as the Naim DAC V1, Schiit Gungnir, Schiit Yggdrasil, Chord 2Qute/Qutest, North Star Design Incanto and Supremo, Lumin T1, MyTek Brooklyn DAC+ and a variety of others. The Marantz HD-DAC1 acquitted itself really well by every metric.

I personally really like the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC chipset used in the HD-DAC1 and in other DACs too. The Marantz implementation is about as good as it gets at the price point. The CS4398 chipset was the previous flagship for Cirrus Logic. Instruments and voice sound correct. In my opinion, an HD-DAC1 can stay with you a long time as you upgrade other components to get more and more out of your music.

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

I don't know how relevant it is -- I'd be the first to say that chipset is less important than implementation -- but I've been using a Lynx Hilo with the CS4398 for almost five years now. I have been very happy with it.

TimB and kitt1987 like this.
  4. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I've had the HD-DAC1 for a few months now, and absolutely love it. In my system, it presents a great soundstage with detailed imaging. I couldn't be happier with it.

Gary_Stewart, vegafleet and kitt1987 like this.
  5. kitt1987

That's great to hear everyone I really appreciate the input. This upgrade is something I want to be able to live with and be content with for years to come. You're definitely helping to sway my decision!
    Agitator, if you don't mind would you be able to give me your opinion of the Gungnir (given how that was at the top of my list with the Marantz) and how the Marantz "beat it" so to speak?

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Schiit Gungnir - either version - is a fine DAC. I have no criticisms of the Gungnir. In my home listening tests, and listening to music streamed through from a TIDAL HiFi account at the home of one of the people in my music gang who owns a Gungnir, it gets out of the way of the recordings.

The exact same thing is true for the Marantz HD-DAC1. There are subtle differences in sound after switching DACs in a system (with no other changes). The difference I prefer comes from the HD-DAC1 (compared to the Gungnir). That means it’s likely that my ears prefer the Marantz internal filtering to the Schiit internal filtering.

Either DAC could satisfy you for a long time to come. Whichever one you choose, install it and start listening to it as soon as you get it home. Listen to music every day through it - give your hearing a chance to adjust. You’ll know in a week whether it’s the DAC for you. If you like right out of the box, great. Sometimes though, there’s an adjustment period. So have at it while you’re still in the product return period.

If you have a chance to audition the HD-DAC1 locally, I think you should do so. If you really like it, buy it. There’s no wrong choice here.

trs, TarnishedEars and kitt1987 like this.
  7. kitt1987

Thank you for your honest feedback, it is sincerely appreciated!

Agitater likes this.
  8. Pjotr into Music

Pjotr into Music Don't be afraid to play this LOUD

happy user of hd-dac1 for some years now. very nice headphone amp also with adjustable gain.

Gary_Stewart, vegafleet and kitt1987 like this.
  9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I very much enjoyed its predecessor on the 4397, as found in the Marantz SA7001-KI CD player. Very detailed, but if I think on it, it gave me a very seamless sounding playback. Very coherent, and balanced. Everything you could want to pick out you could.

How it would compare to my current CD/DAC set up, I don't know, though i imagine it might be a little less insightful. Cracking listen nonetheless.

10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I haven't listened HD-DAC1 but my SA8003 player uses the same CS4398 DAC chip. Admittedly, this could mean very little, while the other aspects of the overall implementation (analog output stage, additional filtering etc) would impact the end result.
    CS4398 chip, or at least Marantz implementation in its line of 8XXX SA-CD players, has been my favourite flavour of an affordable CD sound. Smooth mids, well-rounded bottom end, and almost free of that “digital” glare in top end. Then…

Two weeks ago, and almost on a whim, I purchased Schiit s Modi 3 DAC. It features he AK4490 DAC I heard some people were raving about before. So. I hooked it up to my SA8003 via the coax, had it run for a few hours and then came back for some listening. I played Mark Knopfler’s “Sailing to Philly” CD. Wow!

This little piece of Schiit almost blew my mind. Particularly, given how little it cost. Now. I’m not dissing my SA8003, but the added mid-range depth and the articulation of vocals were great. Improved bass definition and absolutely no top end harshness. The whole thing coming out of my speakers sounded “calmer”, more together, and at moments almost had this weird stickiness to it.

As I continued, I stopped switching back and forth and spend the next 4 hours just listening music.

Both SA8003 and Modi3 were hooked to my Vidar via the same brand/age interconnects.

Good times.

Regards

11. kitt1987

I've actually heard similar experiences with the Modi 3 in that its performance far outshines and outclasses the previous Modis. I will definitely be selling my multi bit modi for a fair price after I make my final decision and get the new DAC hooked up and settled in. I'm starting to settle into the camp that disputes the whole multi bit marketing based on what I've read throughout the interwebs.

DrZhivago likes this.
  12. Itamar.K

Itamar.K Well-Known Member

Someone can compare it to PS Audio Nuwave DSD?
    Just purchased used PS Audio..wonder if the hd-dac1 is in the same sound quality?

13. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Same here, use it as the Dac to play music from Ipods and Ipads from its front USB slot (it is Apple Certified), also use its coax and optical inputs from various players.

Use it to drive my Senn HD650 headphones and I have never had to change the gain from 0 db. Very happy with it.

14. toniexly

toniexly New Member

hi, I used hd-dac1 for about 2yrs. It's a great dac, overall balanced with a really tasty mids. But I think it lacks some punch when you really need it. If you often listen to music with lots of dynamics like heavy rock or metal, I think you'd better think twice. at least find a way to listen to it first.

Gary_Stewart likes this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

@Agitater Hi there. I have one on the way and have a question. I will be integrating it into a system where my preamp does not have a remote control. I’m thinking I might like to take advantage of the remote on the Marantz. Would it be unwise to set my preamp’s volume to the loudest volume I would ever listen and use the variable volume option on the Marantz?

16. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Personally, I’m a fan of using fixed output from devices like the HD-DAC1, treating it like any other external/peripheral DAC or streamer. My LFD NCSE MKII integrated amp is stellar in my main system, but it does not have a remote control of any kind. Input switching and volume control are manual. Same as what you’re doing.

What you’re proposing will work perfectly well though. The volume control subsystem in the HD-DAC1 is very, very clean. The only thing you’ll have to do with your preamp is an adjustment of its output level to a point just before clipping of your amp’s input. That might be an adjustment that’s somewhat higher than the loudest level at which you ever listen. After that, the Marantz’s remote will then work very nicely as the system volume control.

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. Dogbandit

Dogbandit New Member

I love my HD-DAC1 which I purchased a few weeks ago. I also have the Audioquest Dragonfly Red which I use for portability so it's not a fair comparison, but the Marantz is astonishing for the price. Sorry if I can't give you a like for like comparison but I'm relatively new to HiFi.
    I listen to everything from Jazz to Classical, Prog to Death Metal and the Marantz does a great job especially with DSD files.

18. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I don't think it lacks punch. Maybe what you are hearing is its "smoothness". It never gets nervous at anything I throw at it.

Very happy with it. Love its multi-connectivity.

19. Dave-de-do-daaa

Dave-de-do-daaa New Member

Does it play MP3 320k files good? I have mostly FLAC so would have to convert. I want to just keep everything on a thumb drive.

20. Crazeenick

Crazeenick New Member

Agitater - how did you think the Naim DAC V1 compared to the Marantz HD DAC1? I am currently using the Marantz DAC with my Naim Supernait 2 integrated amp and B&W CM10 floorstanders. But I have been wondering whether to "upgrade" the Marantz DAC to the Naim DAC. The Naim DAC is twice the price. Is it an upgrade from the Marantz or actually on a similar level of quality (ie you are just paying extra for the Naim badge on the front)?

21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Naim DAC V1 is a stellar DAC - the beginning of the true high-end. It is notably better - audibly so - than the very good HD DAC1.

What Marantz did was what every good designer should do - the very best that can be done for a given price point and feature set. Marantz created lively and accurate mid-range analog output, reasonably accurate bass and respectable treble extension with good instrument timbres.

The Naim does everything brilliantly well, not just the midrange, and instrument timbres and voice are dead-on accurate and realistic. The superb headphone subsystem is a bonus too.

22. Crazeenick

Crazeenick New Member

Agitater - thanks very much for the quick reply - interesting. Think I will investigate an upgrade from Mararantz HD DAC1 to Naim DAC V1 !!

23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Any excuse to audition a prospective piece of new kit is a good excuse!

24. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Anyone using this DAC as a pre-amp as well, taking advantage of the analog input? I used to use my Emotiva DC-1 DAC like that, with my phono stage plugged into the analog input and the DAC serving as system preamp/volume control.

Seems this would be a step up from that one.

25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I don't think the Dac1 has analog in.
    I'm using the DC-1 in the same configuration as my Outlaw does not have digital in's.