Marantz PM8005 or Yamaha A-S801/A-S701

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nola27, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

I think the phono is the weak element is the A-S series (up until 801, that is). It sounds somewhat rolled off and compressed, and unfortunately is not on a par with the amps otherwise stellar performance (an Aussie hifi mag has some bench results that look beyond reproach on 501). I've tested multiple carts to be sure it wasn't just a case of cart matching. No amount of break-in rid the stage of this character. It's useable, certainly, but that's about it.

Helom likes this.
  2. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

That’s the way I ultimately went. The Marantz is ugly but sounds good. Muscular.

3. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Sounds good truss perty in my audio book. This is audio hardware forum anyways.

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

In the end I bought a Musical Fidelity M5si, couldn’t be happier.

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I have the Marantz PM8005 and really like it a lot, but that doesn't really mean anything because this is my first integrated amp I've ever had, and I've never had any audiophile quality audio gear before. So I have nothing to compare it to.

That being said, I've been wondering what benefit a phono preamp would be if I added it to my system. Opinions on this board are all over the place.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pics with a big smiling face required! :D

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’d experiment with an external phono amp if I were you. I really believe that a good external would give you more listening pleasure for vinyl. I believe this because most phono stages are an afterthought.

8. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Which is (sound wise) in a completely different league than PM8005 and Yamaha's.

Regards

9. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I use the original iFi iPhono with my PM8004. Superb sounding phono preamp IMO.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its about system synergy to a great degree. I bought a yamaha amp because I wanted to add a little top and bring my Wharfedales forward a bit. Also I bought a DAC-less yamaha because I have an Oppo. I saved money and achieved to a degree what I wanted differently from my bookshelf speakers. Think things out based upon what the nature of your speakers are is what I have learned.

Ive decided that Im probably going with the Elac B6's next though. I just never have completely warmed up to the 10.2's. and want a different flavor.

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Id like your opinion on that Budgie. Im eyeballing one myself!

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Can you please explain the difference and how the transistor differences affect sound quality?

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What exactly "breaks in" on the yamahas?

14. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I’ll be ordering a Lounge LCR MKIII for my PM6005 in the next month or so. The phonostage isn’t great so it’s necessary.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

I was able to sit down for a song here and there over the course of the weekend (between football games).

Initial impressions are of a very fast and clean amp. Notes stop and start very fast and backgrounds are very quiet. It makes me think this would be a good amp for electronic music, krautrock and maybe heavier music/metal?

16. Vinyl Fan 1973

Sure thing, I`ll report back once I get it in.

mpayan likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

I think so. Coming from the PM6005 I figured the logical move would have been the PM8005, but after seeing the deal on the M5si I thought why not. In truth I went in blind, I didn`t hear the amp before hand, but it all worked out. What I found out is that I do like gear that leans more towards the warm side. The Musical Fidelity is on the warm side of neutral and my Focal`s have come alive. They simply weren`t getting what they needed from the PM6005, and now they are just singing.

The MF is built like a tank and the quality all around is awesome.

Erik Tracy and nola27 like this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm not sure how much of the differences can be attributed to the transistors. I mentioned them to highlight the fact that the amps are not merely beefed up versions of the predecessors.

IMO, the Mosfet based Yamahas have a tube-like quality to the sound. The soundstage is more 3-dimensional. I think the word, "lush" is a good way to describe the midrange.

The bipolar amps are a little faster, but not as fleshed out. The soundstage isn't as wide and deep. Trailing edges of notes are a bit cut off in comparison. I know these are somewhat ambiguous descriptions, but they're the best I can think of.

I own the A-S500, not the 501. It has shortcomings, but there's something special about its sound, it draws me into the music. I can't say the same for some far more expensive amps.

19. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Good to here and enjoy your new upgrade! My next upgrade may be going from my Marantz PM8004 to something like the Musical Fidelity M5si. Other integrateds I have my eye on are Rogue Audio Sphinx and Hegel H80

20. Madness

All this discussion makes me think I need to introduce a phono pre-amp into my system. Lots of talk about the Lounge LCR MKIII, but I can't find that on any of the regular sites I look at (Music Direct, Needle Doctor, etc.). Researching the Pro-Ject DS2, the Phononema II Plus, and others. I think it could benefit my system (the PM8005).

21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The Lounge owner is a member of this board. You buy it directly from him.

Helom likes this.
  22. Madness

Do I have to hire a private eye, or are you going to tell me who that is?

StimpyWan and musictoad like this.
  23. Madness

I can't even read the product's web site; the formatting is all screwed up.

24. Helom

Helom Forum member

@morinix

morinix likes this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Very cool. Before my purchase I was looking into the following amps:

Rogue Sphinx v2
    Parasound Halo Integrated
    Peachtree Audio nova150
    Hegel H80
    Unison Research Unico Primo and Nuevo

Musical Fidelity wasn’t even on my radar until a member on another music forum suggested I check them out. They are supposedly a great match with Focal speakers and that piqued my interest. Over the Christmas holiday I did a ton of research and slowly I eliminated the amps above due to things I read that didn’t seem to pair with what I was looking for. The Musical Fidelity remained on the list day after day, to the point that I just placed the order in good faith that it would work out.

Still burning in but in this week I’m already hearing great improvement over the initial sound (which was amazing right out of the box). Obviously budget played a role, but I actually spent over my initial budget just to acquire this amp. It’s the sound I’ve had in my head for the last 5 years but could never achieve, until now. Patience is something you need in this hobby.

StimpyWan and HankM like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.