Marantz Receiver on eBay Not as Described. What Should I Do Now?

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Another Side, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member Thread Starter

Mmm...Interesting. But Why would it happen on only one channel?

2. xman

xman Active Member

The volume controls both channels. Try it and see. You've got nothing to lose. :thumbsup:

3. namahealani

namahealani Forum Resident

Go back to audiokarma.org and ask member EchoWars if he's got any Marantz equipment for sale. He's the Marantz guy to go to. He does an expert job getting those babies back into "like new" condition. I bought a 2270 from him (after 2 ebay fiascoes, learned my lesson). I can't recommend him highly enough, he does top quality work.
    For a Yamaha amp talk to Merrylander. I got a Yamaha CA-600 natural sound amp from him that is sweet! :righton:

4. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

When I bought my 2226 I only had sound out of one channel. Once I cleaned the Tape Monitor switch and the volume control I got the sound back. If I left it off for a few days the problem would come back so I had to clean it again and it took care of it for good.

Pat

5. Another Side

The sound travels through the tape monitor on these receivers, so I see how this is possible. The only reason I think it's the relay is because if I turn the sound up the left channel magically reappears.

6. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

Before I did anything else I would do what P2CH suggests. Go to Rat Shack or an electronics store and get some DeOxit, not just any contact cleaner and clean all pots and switches especially the selector switch and tape monitor button. I have had this fix many problems similar to yours.
    If this does not work go back to AudioKarma and seek help. There are two members hat are very knowledgeable on Marantz, echowars and merrylander, along with many others that will be happy to assist you.

Good luck. That is a very nice sounding unit when working.

7. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I just saw this post and I am pretty confident that a good cleaning with DeOxit will get you going. I don't think it is the relay from your post.

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

No, the relays simply respond to something earlier in the chain tripping them off. Certainly I would try to do a thorough cleaning/deoxing of everything first, cheap and easy.

I have this exact same problem, I bought a Phillips FA860 for 20 bucks at a garage sale a few weeks back (basically it's a Marantz inside, even has an M-designation in the model number) and the right channel does not work. I blew it out with air but that did nothing. I don't know enough about electronics so I didn't mess with anything else, but I have been and still am religiously combing the internet for some sort of fix.

My old Fisher 860 also developed the same problem...and with both amps the output in the headphone jack is fine (both channels work) but not through the speakers.

9. Another Side

In my case, the headphones exhibit the same problems as the speakers. There is no scratchiness to speak of when I touch any of the pots or if I turn the dials. But if I as much as touch the relay box (not any of the contacts) there is tremendous scratchiness.

10. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I would still do a good cleaning with DeOxit and then consult with the experts at AK. YMMV

11. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Jorge,

Not long ago, I sent my beloved Marantz 2230 to Bob at Vintage Electronics for general servicing and a few minor repairs, and he did a great job (he really knows those Marantz receivers) with a pretty fast turnaround. It's been working absolutely flawlessly since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.