Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. fish

fish Senior Member

The Ruby has 2 fuses. One (8a) in the Hypex SMPS600 incoming power supply and another (1.6a) on the primary AC unit.
    The 8Amp is a ceramic type the other is your standard nickel 10 cent type.
    I replaced them both with HIFI tuning Supremes.

Nice improvements!
    Opened up the soundstage more.
    Tightened up the bass.
    Added a bit more mid-bass.

stock:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supreme Black:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slippers-on, jusbe and Mr.XO like this.
  2. fish

fish Senior Member

The box below the preamp board is the phono stage, inside. The PSU is in-front if it and complete separated from the other boards.

[​IMG]

This is the preamp:
    [​IMG]

And these are the discreet amps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slippers-on, jusbe and ranch 22b like this.
  3. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle so long and thanks for all the fish

Thanks for posting these. Cool to see inside, esp the phono stage. I've stopped using my DS2 with the Ruby--after more listening, I've come to prefer the on board pre, especially with Sumiko carts.

4. Mr.XO

Mr.XO Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!
    Guess one would have to get past the 5yr warranty to get into this.

jusbe likes this.
  5. Mr.XO

Mr.XO Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, both the KLH and Ruby are great. It's just me sharing my observations and wondering if there's still room for improvement. Also, trying to understand why it's recommended better electronics get even better speaker, etc., and if I'm in such a situation here.

One track the said sense of slowness was very obvious to me is with Giorgio by Moroder (Random Access Memories - Daft Punk) the last 3.5 mins or so.

With it the diff btw Model 30 and Ruby has been the same with both the rp-8000 and KLH 5. It's streaming from Amazon (node2i) and I tried using both the HD-DAC1 and Bifrost-2.

Also wondering what speakers everyone's got their Ruby amps paired with..?

mrkrinkle likes this.
  6. fish

fish Senior Member

So Ive found too. The Phono stage in the PM-KI and PM-10 are way better than anyone would believe. Need to spend allot to best it.

NOTE the Fuse Directions above. It took me a while to determine which direction was preferred. One way has a bit more bass and sharper highs. For fuses that are burned-in directional.

@Mr.XO Fuses are replaceable and any i try or use are UL listed. They would not void warrantee, how could it?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    jusbe, mrkrinkle and Mr.XO like this.
  7. Mr.XO

Mr.XO Well-Known Member

Thought even opening them up can void warranty.. lol .. and then if changing fuse falls into.. unauthorized product modification (Limited Warranty ).
    But probably that's not the case.. now coming to think of it, if a fuse burns out having to send it to Marantz is a costly process for both parties and they'd be ok with us doing it. But nevertheless good to be sure as companies try to wash their hands off for silly reasons.

8. mrkrinkle

I hooked up the Ruby to the 600s for a bit, which are typically connected to the A-S1200, and that combo was great. I'd love to hear the Ruby with the Fortes or Cornwalls.

9. fish

fish Senior Member

Yeah right? Its Not a modification. Just putting a different brand fuse in. Same fuse type and spec.
    Ive had gear that have a sticker over the body case that clearly says removing or breaking this seal voids warrantee and the fuses are always accessible from the outside. They'd have to be.
    Modifications would obviously void warrantee. Changing a fuse isn't a modification. If it were then NOT using the supplied power cord or Interconnects woud as well.

Slippers-on likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd have to disagree with that. Removing the top of a component to replace a fuse is not a modification per se. But if one replaced a fuse with an aftermarket one then sent the unit out for warranty service (forgetting to put the original fuse back in place) the manufacturer could deny any warranty work.

But saying using aftermarket power cables and interconnects is the same as changing out a fuse (requiring taking off the cover) is where I disagree with you. One is poking around in the internals of a component. One misstep could damage wiring, components etc.

I've never replaced any fuses for aftermarket fuses. I don't intend to as I don't see the need. I'd rather spend that money on well mastered music where I'll hear obvious SQ improvements. But I guess that's just me.

Mr.XO likes this.
  11. mrkrinkle

I agree with that assessment--changing internals is very different from selecting custom externals. I think it's a safe bet that swapping out a fuse or any other internal will void the warranty, if the mere act of removing the cover doesn't do it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. fish

fish Senior Member

Cant imagine. If the fuse blew. Id have to ship (at $150) my amp to Marantz or the nearest Dealer (which is 80 miles from me) to change it?
    Im sorry but you cant be right unless its specifically stats that somewhere, which it doesn't.

13. fish

fish Senior Member

Then how can you have any opinion either way? You actually have no idea then.
    Try it then tell me what you think.

The benefits I hear do so to ALL the music I listen to, each and every track. I think that makes it a Much better bargain, no?

14. Mr.XO

Mr.XO Well-Known Member

Based on that one could also try changing all the internal wiring as well..rt? One never knows till one tries.. :)

On a serious note I'm hesitant to get into it unless authorized, like I call marantz when something's not working and they ask me to open it and check the fuse and try replace it first, if blown out, etc.
    At least that's what I interpret this as from their site..
    >unauthorized vs authorized product modification

I mean it says nowhere you can't change all the internal wiring but would you do that just to try.. or may be someone would if it was as simple as changing out the fuse.

I guess All I'm saying is be cautious, also calling out @Slippers-on as I saw he was gonna try this out in a post in another thread.

Wish you good with your rubies / gear but play it safe guys!

Slippers-on and mrkrinkle like this.
  15. mrkrinkle

Yep, that's not uncommon. The expectation is that you will have it serviced by an authorized entity, whatever the issue, rather than resorting to self-help, especially during the warranty period. If you've made a significant modification that affects performance, in turn, a company could use that as a basis for voiding a warranty. Whether a fuse would qualify as that could be up for debate, but I wouldn't want to test their policies myself.

Bill Mac and Rolltide like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks but I'll pass. I've been in this hobby for close to 50 years and have tried all types of cables, DACs, players and accessories that some said would transcend the SQ of my system. Quite often I heard what I wanted to hear when a new tweak or component was added to my system. In other words my system must sound better even though it wasn't really the case. Then I started reading more and with like minded friends did a number of listening tests. What I found was that more often than not myself and others could not reliably tell which cables, DAC or player was being used. If the improvements were so amazing one should be able to tell the differences 100% of the time. In all our gatherings it was more like 50-50 if that.

So no changing out fuses in my system wouldn't be a better bargain as I honestly don't buy into it. This is just my personal opinion and no reflection on what others think. I also think this is not the thread to be discussing aftermarket fuses. It just sidetracks the intended discussion of the thread which is Marantz Reference gear.

jusbe and Rolltide like this.
  17. mrkrinkle

By the way, I don't think they could demand that you drive 80 miles. I think they'd have to offer shipping.

18. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I’ve been thinking Ruby needs associated gear to be more refined to get the best out of Ruby. Sorta of like a bad recording. Ruby will expose the bad recording….so with the associated gear. I’ve anothe Marantz Reference amp and it’s fine with whatever I play. I’ve also the Marantz NA8005 DAC….while Ruby exposes its lesser quality, the other Marantz Reference does not.

jusbe and Mr.XO like this.
  19. Slippers-on

I’ve tried the phono stage built into the Ruby. It’s good. But it was no match for my Ayre Acoustics P-5XE or Icon Audio PS1MKII. I use a Wireworld $1400 phono cable and $700 WW interconnect into Ruby and the sound is breath taking. I listen to records 90% of time.

bajaed likes this.
  20. mrkrinkle

Yea, that's what I meant about harsh a few weeks ago--it's not that I think the Ruby is harsh, but if the recording is, it won't beautify it (like the 8006 will, for instance).

Beach House and Slippers-on like this.
  21. Slippers-on

Well, one phone call to Marantz Tech won’t hurt.:)

Mr.XO likes this.
  22. mrkrinkle

Although I would not trust the tech folks to give you advice on this point. This is a business/legal issue.

Mr.XO and Slippers-on like this.
  23. Slippers-on

I can respect your opinion as well….Ruby has run in nicely after owning her for about a month. I’m satisfied with her as is now…but I’ve always been a sucker for trying new tweaks…having heard both sides of the argument…the sure bet..this one does seem to need approval from Marantz., just to be on safe side of things. But…I’ve owned a few Marantz through the years and none have failed me yet..except a gold preamp I purchased from a pawnshop in the 80’s.

Bill Mac likes this.
  24. Slippers-on

I’ve discovered many a bad mastering with vinyl. Ruby exposes it. But a great mastering job….oh my goodness!

bajaed, jusbe and mrkrinkle like this.
  25. fish

fish Senior Member

Im sorry, didn't mean to get so deep. Its not worth over thinking. Its a fuse. Its not rewiring or modifying anything. Its really not much different than a power cord and BTW most fuses are in the IEC socket or nearby accessible from the back or outside. Overthinking.
    I share these observations so people, like me, can more easily learn and discover whats possible.

But what isn't is the differences between the 4 fuse types I have on hand. Its almost criminal how much it can change the sound character. Criminal!
    Like the combination of 2 HIFI Supreme Black fuses Im running today. They are very detailed and provide a sharper edge to snars and cymbals and the soundstage extension and inner detail perception is better. But its a bit much at times. More transparent i guess you would say.
    But adding 1 HIFI Supreme White fuse in the primary AC unit softened things up, Warmer with Less noticeable detail...and if I add a 2nd one, it gets a bit more so as expected. But then throw in 1 SR Blue fuse and the Game changes again. Amazing how much they change a components character. Its a Rabbit hole I dont recommend to most.

Im SO GLAD the Denafrips DAC I got doesn't have fuses! One less thing available to me. LOL

Slippers-on likes this.