Marantz Reference Gear Enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bradleyc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Unless I have auditioned it, Yes.

3. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

+1000000000000000

Randy Goldberg likes this.
  4. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Still rockin' my DV12-S1 DVD Audio player I purchased in 2000. The tray is acting a little wonky but DVD-A's sound amazing. CD's sound surprisingly good with the HDAM analog circuit. Built like a battleship.

bradleyc likes this.
  5. High Fidelity

May be of interest, I find the low cost Sony UBP-X800 4K BD player to be just as good for mch SACD as my Sony XA5400ES player almost as good with CD

ZippyPippy likes this.
  6. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

No interest in Sony here, this is the Marantz Reference gear enthusiast thread!

2channelforever, F1nut and bruce2 like this.
  7. High Fidelity

are you still enthusiastic with the extortionate prices of the Marantz PM-10 Class D amp & stereo only SA-10 player especially as a very experienced Marantz enthusiast has revealed that the SA-10 CD's performance is not as good as previous reference Marantz players. As for SACD a better mch sound can be obtained from a Sony player for very low cost. I am also a Marantz enthusiast my modified CD94 player sounds excellent and still plays after approx 30 years. I also use the excellent low cost Marantz AVR SR 6011, mainly the pre-out into a stereo amplifier for mch SACD.

8. bradleyc

You're like a broken record :rant:

9. John

John Senior Member

Not sure I'm talking about the right gear, but I've always wanted to hear the MA-9S2 amps, but could not afford them. I've read great things about them. Also a friend who's ears I trust has the SA7S1 CD player and speaks very highly of it. That was a really interesting line of gear.

10. High Fidelity

Why do you not answer the question , are you happy with the extortionate prices for so-called Marantz reference products,

11. High Fidelity

If I post my opinion of the stereo only SA-7S1 I will be accused of being like a broken record, but here goes like the SA-10 for CD it is no where near as good as earlier Marantz players , to improve its sound it requires addition of a expensive word clock. I wanted to like the SA7-S1 but sold it after a 700 hours burn-in, the guy who bought it put it up for sale one month later.

12. bradleyc

The MA-9S2 amps and SA-7S1 SACD/CD player have had very positive reviews over the years, and are well-respected by most audiophiles who have had the pleasure of owning them.

F1nut likes this.
  13. bradleyc

I'm very satisfied with my new PM-10, absolutely no complaints here whatsoever. As for the new SA-10 I'll reserve judgement until after auditioning. Do you get a cheap thrill out of bashing new gear that you've never even listened to? :blah:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  14. John

John Senior Member

Yeah the SC-7S2 preamp got good reviews too. More than one review used the words liquid sounding, slightly warm while still sounding precise, which appealed to me.

F1nut and bradleyc like this.
  15. Ninja Bomber

Ninja Bomber Forum Resident

Some people just seem to think that anything that's newer and/or more expensive than what they currently own is crap. And they don't need to hear the gear they're bashing, they somehow just know.

Jtycho, F1nut, John and 2 others like this.
  16. Plexi 100

Plexi 100 Forum Resident

I have the Marantz SC11S1/SM11S1 Pre/Power amps running with an Emm Labs Super Audio player.

Excellent sound from this combination...fast with a huge,deep soundstage. Lots of musical detail and weight.

bradleyc likes this.
  17. John

John Senior Member

That system definitely sounds like my speed, I can see that sounding very satisfying. I'm with you on the Meitner stuff, I have an old Bidat that I won't part with.

18. bradleyc

Brought in a new SA-10 at my Marantz crack dealer's recommendation for in-home trial. After spinning some discs during the week, this bad boy is staying right here. Holy mother of crack!

Eigenvector, F1nut and Dennis0675 like this.
  19. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The exact same people are all over the Harley-Davidson forums. Must be something in the water

20. TanRay

TanRay New Member

Hi All,
    Chance upon this thread and sign up just to get info from fellow enthusiasts. I had owned 7 pieces of Marantz gears, all "hifi" range (6 to 8 series amps and sacd), a pearl lite amp and 4 ma700. Currently using the SA8005 sacd and bought a preowned PM11S3. However, I was shocked to find all copper plated areas oxidizing. I had never seen any rust on any of my previous gears, not even the 4 very old ma700s. Had anyone here heard or know of any issues with theses copper platings?

I had also owned very old gears when I got back into hifi 6 years ago after almost 30 years out. Bought accuphase e406, a30, and musical 3 series, but went back to Marantz and slowly moved up the ranks. So, this is a very heart breaking experience for me as its the first "Reference" gear I bought from Marantz. If anyone is intetested, I can post the pictures.

21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You should inquire with the seller as to the environment it was in. High humidity and/or sea air will affect most things.

22. TanRay

TanRay New Member

Hi F1nut,
    This is preowned. The previous owner had a dedicated room with air conditioning. I have sent it to the local distributor for their testing, evaluation and remedy. Awaiting their report. Just checking if any Marantz enthusiasts here come across such an issue.

23. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Love mine too. Had the hard sounding Cirrus Logic DAC chip changed to a Philips for more analog sound. Improved power supply and outputs (WBT). It took five years before I even thought of improvements. Time marched on and tech changed. This piece is a keeper now. Every Marantz product that I have has never given me any trouble. Lovely stuff.

24. bradleyc

My Pearl player is not hard sounding in any way, but good to know you’re satisfied with yours now. Mine is hooked up to PM-11S3, the synergy is just right :)

F1nut likes this.
  25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

There's nothing hard sounding about the upper end Marantz CD/SACD players.

Johnny Vinyl, bradleyc and Erik Tracy like this.