Marillion "Clutching At Straws" box set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Sep 6, 2018.

1. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm in music heaven with these releases. I'm particularly in awe with the gigs from the CAS tour. They're incredible. Even more so if you think about how sour the band's dynamics had gotten by then.

ytserush likes this.
  2. Awsmund

Awsmund Forum Resident

I've finally gotten around to give this a listen. Don't really have any new perspectives to offer than already discussed in this thread. The remix is interesting, and a fresh take, but ultimately the original '87 production is the superior version for me, not just because it's the one I am most emotionally attached to but also because I think it's the version most reflecting the moody place the band was in. It's shut-in and intimate, something both the '99 remaster and perhaps especially the remix removes. It's different, is all.

The Edinburgh show on the other hand is a true Marillion live gem. The energy is through the roof and the only comparable show is indeed the '88 Milan show. The CaS tour was simply something else.

Get the box for the live show and if you did not have the '99 remaster, the tracks recorded by the band with Fish shortly before he left, as you can hear the rough version of most of the album that never happened.

Merrick, M2225, drum_cas and 2 others like this.
  3. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I agree with your observations

M2225, ytserush and Awsmund like this.
  4. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Yes, but, sound quality wise, Milan it's not as good (besides, you'd have to sell a kidney to buy that boxset today :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    ytserush likes this.
  5. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

What it lacks in sound is more than made up by the performance, passion and attitude. It may have been falling apart internally, but you wouldn't really know it from most of the performances.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

What box set is that?

7. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Curtain Call - A live archive 1983-1988. Published in 2004, it's comprised of three whole concerts (2 cds each), 1983-1986-1988.
    OVER expensive, right now, if you even manage to find a copy. This I'll never get: if you have a product that sells, why on earth would you make it a limited edition?

JulesRules likes this.
  8. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Ok got it. I just bought "Early Stages/Official Bootleg Box Set 1982-1987 (Live)" as a lossless download.

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Curtain Call is a different collection of gigs to Early Stages. Curtain Call carries the catalogue number FRC-015.

ytserush likes this.
  10. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Yea I see that thanks. I missed the Curtain Call release when it came out.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  11. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Where did you find that set available as a lossless download? I got a copy via eMusic back in the day, but that's just MP3.

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

us.7digital.com or junodownload.com. Juno is cheaper with the current sale (and even with the exchange rate) - just make sure you pick the correct format you want in the drop down box.

GiorgioV and Runicen like this.
  13. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Since we are talking a little about live Marillion, if you like the H era live stuff (Front Row, etc.) you can buy some of it as lossless at Marillion Official .

And not to derail the thread too much I still really like the remix of Clutching. The extras I can do without though. I still have to watch the documentary on the Blu Ray disc.

14. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I do too. It's kind of weird, but in a positive way. To name one, the first time I've played the remixed Slainte Mhath, that "Na na na nana na na" at the beginning just stopped me in my tracks. It's so clear now, it almost sounds like a live version.

PTgraphics likes this.
  15. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Thank you so much for the heads up, I went and purchased all of the six Fish remasters on junodownload.com for a great price, saving me from the temptation of getting the physical boxsets :D (I have some serious space/financial issues...)

Runicen, ytserush and PTgraphics like this.
  16. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

There's a lot more Hogarth Front Row Club Releases available than there are with Fish so I tend to cherry pick those on CD based on performance, sound quality and the set.

PTgraphics likes this.
  17. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I’m assuming from the comments that Milan hasn’t been made available as a download or any other way than the Curtain Call CD box?

Kalli likes this.
  18. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

To the best of my knowledge, no (well, not legally that is).

19. Awsmund

Awsmund Forum Resident

The box containing the Milan show is Front Row Club issue 15 from 2003 and as far as I know, it is physical only. Racket Records have most issues in digital but not 15.

20. guitafreak1617

guitafreak1617 Active Member

Do you think there is something about remixing and reduction in DR? I've not found any remixes in my collection where the DR matches or exceeds the original. Even the recent Brave remix is down to about DR 11 from 13 in the original 1994 mix. Just a thought.

Vandenville likes this.
  21. Brave required that. Some sections were so quiet as to be completely inaudible unless listening in a darkened room somewhere.

JulesRules and guitafreak1617 like this.
  22. guitafreak1617

guitafreak1617 Active Member

Interesting point.

23. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident

Possible. But... a DR reduction of 2 (from 13 to 11) would be still acceptable, but from 13 to 9... this means there was some unnecessary compression added.

JulesRules and Riccardo2 like this.
  24. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Hi guys.

So I have seen Fish twice, Enschede fan show weekend for both shows in 2002, and in Boston I caught him around maybe 2006 or so for Plague of Ghosts
    Marillion I caught once in New Haven for Afraid of Sunlight (I think).

After getting nothing Fish/Marillion for a long time I splurged a couple months ago.

I went to Fish Music in October and ordered
    A Feast Of Consequences - Deluxe Edition
    A Parley With Angels EP
    Moveable Feast - The Remasters: Deluxe Edition
    Clutching At Straws Deluxe Edition (CD/Blu-ray)
    and the Clutching cover tapestry.

I missed out on the Misplaced set in CD/Blu-Ray.
    Fish still has it in Vinyl.
    I am also still tempted to get the Clutching Deluxe on vinyl.

What is the quality of the vinyl in the remasters? I really want the 5.1 of Misplaced, but I am currently a bit late on that.

I have the original vinyl, I have the original CD, and I got the Double CDs when they came out.

I also ordered a bit from Racket Records
    Previously if you asked me for my 2 favorite H Era Marillion it would be This Strange Engine and Afraid of Sunlight.

I caught up on my Hogarth Marillion.

FEAR CD Special Campaign Edition
    Sounds That Can't Be Made (2013 Special Edition)
    Marillion 'Less is more'
    Web UK Subscription (3 Issues)
    Steve Hogarth & Richard Barbieri 'Not The Weapon But The Hand'
    Best.Live
    'This Strange Engine' Live At The Marillion Weekend 2007
    'Afraid Of Sunlight' Live At The Marillion Weekend 2003
    Live From Loreley (EMI 2CD Audio Release 2009)

JulesRules likes this.
  25. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

If you like Plague Of Ghosts, the 3-disc remaster package (2015) of "Raingods With Zippos" might be of interest - it has a couple of live versions of PoG (quality varies) along with an early incarnation of the song plus a pre-production instrumental version. It's available from his official store and at a sensible price through Amazon (UK).

Raingods With Zippos - The Remasters: Deluxe Edition - Fish Store
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raingods-Zippos-Remasters-Deluxe-Fish/dp/B019QMKSRC

Runicen likes this.