Marillion "Fugazi" Deluxe Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jul 5, 2021.

1. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have played the 5.1 mix and really like the way it has been done. I too enjoyed the documentaries. The contents of the blu ray disc show what can be done with the format and at a very decent price point ( compare and contrast price of the Let It Be box). I am very pleased with this little box and that is without yet getting to the bonus live show.

J_Surround, Rufus rag and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

Been watching the Swiss show on the blu-ray, Jigsaw, that voice... When it goes "Stand straight", it just sent shivers down my spine.
    What a voice he had to sing like that, and with no apparent effort/strain (history will prove that wasn't exactly the case, but we're lucky to have these mementos of a time of such greatness).

3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Listening to the live show from Montreal at the moment. It’s fantastic.

I’d always loved the Real To Reel album and being able to listen to a full show now, it’s clear that the Montreal show was one of those really special nights that rarely get captured on live releases - but thankfully did that night!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Waiting for my box to come from SDE and live this special night again; 38 years after… Who knew at the time that Marillion will make it this far?

GRompre68 and Rufus rag like this.
  5. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

I'm going to guess that you already have the other simillarly-formatted remaster sets (Script, Misplaced Childhood, Clutching, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight). But if not, run and get them now. You will be very happy.

ytserush and Rufus rag like this.
  6. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Not only that, but for literally the last HALF of their career, they've sustained themselves by self-financing their own releases and tours, based off the willingness of their fan base to pay up front, and their own ability to market a significant portion of what's in their vault. That's a pretty impressive business model.

7. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

@Norco74 did you see all three nights at the Spectrum?

8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Got a dispatch email a couple days ago from Fish but still no sign of it.

Rufus rag and Kiss73 like this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

This message was on Fish's website a few day ago.......folks need to bear in mind that it's only Fish and his wife that sort it all out. No large team, but they do seem to be getting through them.

September 8 at 3:30pm

Finally the 'Yorkies' are coming down the road after 2 false starts. First one due to the 'Royal Mail Click and Drop' meltdown on Monday and yesterday a software glitch on the mail order provider swiftly followed by a loss of broadband and then the truck arriving too early for us to catch up with stickering postage put us on pause.

Today though Simone stickered nearly 900 packages and I loaded them up in close to 27 degrees out front. So hot I had to cover the Yorkies with reflective silver tarpaulins. Glad of the breeze taking the edge off.

13 stuffed Yorkies on their way to the Edinburgh depot now and we should get at least the same out tomorrow. With a bit of luck we will have all the 'Fugazis' all out by the weekend. Not bad for just the 2 of us.

Tonight is pizza and signing/packing more deluxes for tomorrows post. This is what real indy is all about :) Feels good TBH and great cardio vascular prep for the UK tour.

10. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I got turned on to Fish era Marillion at the time of release (on vinyl). I was managing a record store of a regional chain (Budget Tapes & Records) & one of my employees was really into them. At the time I was not aware of anyone doing similar music; Genesis had already made their post Gabriel changes; & I loved Marillion stylistically. I still love the Fish era.

11. moomoomoomoo

Especially at the time of release, I loved watching Fish's theatrical performances. Still enjoyable for me.

12. adamrabin

adamrabin Forum Resident

Stereo remix thoughts:
    It has a more aggressive feel to it which I like. It's lyrically very angry so I think the new vibe works.

There are few fleeting moments that I wish had a little more room to breathe (dynamic range or synths mixed a bit high) but that just borders on "I would've done it differently."

Some changes in synth/guitar levels and interplay here and there. Will take some getting used to. But the new clarity and ballsiness of Trewavas' parts more than make up for that.

Overall an improvement. In the last few years I've tried listening to the original mix (either mastering) and it's just not pleasant for the reasons we've all mentioned. Proof that DR isn't everything. It's important but compression does have its place especially in hard rock which this album is.

ytserush, Rufus rag and J_Surround like this.
  13. moomoomoomoo

I really feel that the improvements can be made solely by eq without the detriments of excessive compression. A lot of it depends on playback equipment. If your system is voiced super dark or mellow (earbuds/mp3's & some speakers) the compression won't be nearly as irritating; though the magic of well recorded & mastered music will also be missing.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I don’t see this available for streaming or download purchase yet. iTunes and Qobuz don’t list Fugazi at all. Looking forward to my set arriving next week.

J_Surround likes this.
  15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Nope, only one night.

ytserush and craigobau like this.
  16. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Interesting that Assassing, Incubus and Cinderella Search on Real To Real all appear to come from the show included here but Emerald Lies (the bonus track on CD and cassette versions) definitely doesn't. I wonder if it's from another night or not from the spectrum at all?

I much prefer the version on Real To Reel as far as Fish's performance of the song. YMMV.

R E

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Aren't the performances on Reel To Reel recorded over two night? Whereas the the super deluxe is the 20th only?

18. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

Leicester De Montfort Hall, no?

Jmetamatic likes this.
  19. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

One of my Favorite Marillion songs ever. Fish played it on his last Fish on Friday and said it wasn't played much live because it was so difficult for him to sing. Fortunately there are some great live versions out there.

JulesRules and GiorgioV like this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

He went into more detail about that on his weekly podcast

21. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Still waiting on mine from Racket....

22. GiorgioV

GiorgioV Forum Resident

I was just going briefly through the interviews on the BD, and 've watched a glimpse of Fish's one about Jigsaw. He talks about how high the song was, and how he was really shredding his voice at the time on that one, and being able to do so because he was on cocaine and alcohol.
    Such a stunning performance.

ytserush likes this.
  23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I thought only Emerald Lies, Market Square Heroes and Garden Party were recorded there

24. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia, the first four tracks on Real To Reel (Assassing, Incubus, Cinderella Search and Emerald Lies) were recorded at the Spectrum on “19 and 20 June” so perhaps Emerald Lies was one of the tracks recorded on 19th June?

Forgotten Sons, Garden Party and MSH were recorded in Leicester. The other tracks previously released from the Leicester show were on The Thieving Magpie (Chelsea Monday) and Brief Encounter (Script and Fugazi).

The Thieving Magpie also had five tracks recorded on the Fugazi tour in Sheffield in March 1984 (He Knows You Know, Punch And Judy, Fugazi, Jigsaw and Script).

25. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

Have listened to the album remix so far, which overall I felt was an improvement on the original mix. There's so much more clarity in the remix, in particular the enunciation of Fish's vocals, and the texture of the organ on She Chameleon. The bass guitar is also much improved, and not buried and muffled as on the original. The remix was rather loud in places, and I felt Assassing, Fugazi and Incubus could have done with having a touch less compression. Overall though, the improved tone and clarity of the remix gives the album a greater sense of musicality, pace and rhythm. I've always liked the music on Fugazi, but always found the album a bit of a slog to listen to due to the shrill and thin mix - I can see myself listening to the album more now thanks to the new mix.